DH and I will be traveling from Detroit to downtown Chicago at the end of August with our sons age 10 & 12. We're debating on taking the train rather than driving. (Cost of tickets for the 4 of us is about a wash with the cost of parking and we don't expect to need our car while in Chicago.)
DH is reluctant to take Amtrak due to a bad experience many years ago (very long delays, malfunctioning toilet on board, etc.). I am sitting on the fence...The convenience of being dropped-off at Union Station and not having to fight downtown traffic is appealing.
Does anyone have recent experience with Amtrak, or better yet, from Detroit to Chicago?
What are the trains like?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Inexpensive family getaways
- 2 ALASKA FOR 7 DAYS
- 3 Maine/Vermont/Quebec vs. Costa Rica?
- 4 Boston College Visit with older teen. Highlights to see and do.
- 5 Discounted Rental Car?
- 6 Paying for Permit Land Crossing USA to Mexico
- 7 Restaurant recommendations...Chelsea Market, Korea Town
- 8 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 9 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 10 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 11 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 12 Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs
- 13 Valdez, Alaska
- 14 NJ to Florida drive
- 15 Driving from central Florida to Napa CA
- 16 Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. 2016 trip - Need suggestions
- 17 San Francisco & West Hollywood restaurants
- 18 Help with itinerary...4 days in DC
- 19 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico
- 20 Yellowstone/Grand Teton,feeric but turists and Xanterra need improvement
- 21 Los Angeles to Nashville
- 22 New Orleans/long weekend in September
- 23 Portland-Seattle and lots more: Itinerary comments requested
- 24 Hotel near The Rainbow Room/Rockefeller Center
- 25 Crested Butte lodging suggestions...summer
Detroit to Chicago via Amtrak - Anyone with Recent Experience??