DH and I will be traveling from Detroit to downtown Chicago at the end of August with our sons age 10 & 12. We're debating on taking the train rather than driving. (Cost of tickets for the 4 of us is about a wash with the cost of parking and we don't expect to need our car while in Chicago.)
DH is reluctant to take Amtrak due to a bad experience many years ago (very long delays, malfunctioning toilet on board, etc.). I am sitting on the fence...The convenience of being dropped-off at Union Station and not having to fight downtown traffic is appealing.
Does anyone have recent experience with Amtrak, or better yet, from Detroit to Chicago?
What are the trains like?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 2 Which island for R&R?
- 3 Any off site car rental agencies around JFK?
- 4 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 5 Scenic road trip northeast Pennsylvania to Charlotte
- 6 NYC Airport transport (well, Newark)
- 7 Great trip to Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME
- 8 http://www.replennagereviews.com/tvolve-facts/
- 9 Yellowstone
- 10 10 Year Anniversary Dinner in NYC
- 11 JFK TO MANHATTEN
- 12 Napili in Maui with toddlers?
- 13 1.5 Days in Boston with 3 little ones
- 14 Travelling from NYC to Washington Depot
- 15 San Antonio shopping
- 16 Where to stay to visit Glacier National Park
- 17 Towing a camper trailer during January
- 18 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 19 May 2016 Trip to the Big Island
- 20 First Trip to New Mexico
- 21 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 22 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 23 Montana dude ranch recommendation
- 24 blue ridge parkway?
- 25 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
Detroit to Chicago via Amtrak - Anyone with Recent Experience??