DH and I will be traveling from Detroit to downtown Chicago at the end of August with our sons age 10 & 12. We're debating on taking the train rather than driving. (Cost of tickets for the 4 of us is about a wash with the cost of parking and we don't expect to need our car while in Chicago.)
DH is reluctant to take Amtrak due to a bad experience many years ago (very long delays, malfunctioning toilet on board, etc.). I am sitting on the fence...The convenience of being dropped-off at Union Station and not having to fight downtown traffic is appealing.
Does anyone have recent experience with Amtrak, or better yet, from Detroit to Chicago?
What are the trains like?
Thanks in advance!
Detroit to Chicago via Amtrak - Anyone with Recent Experience??
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 2 united and carry-ons
- 3 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 4 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 5 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 6 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 7 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 8 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 9 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 10 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 11 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 12 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 13 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 14 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 15 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 16 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 17 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 18 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 19 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver
- 20 Philadelphia
- 21 Arizona road trip any changes?
- 22 USA with a 3 year old
- 23 First family ski trip
- 24 NYC theatre broadway
- 25 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York