DH and I will be traveling from Detroit to downtown Chicago at the end of August with our sons age 10 & 12. We're debating on taking the train rather than driving. (Cost of tickets for the 4 of us is about a wash with the cost of parking and we don't expect to need our car while in Chicago.)
DH is reluctant to take Amtrak due to a bad experience many years ago (very long delays, malfunctioning toilet on board, etc.). I am sitting on the fence...The convenience of being dropped-off at Union Station and not having to fight downtown traffic is appealing.
Does anyone have recent experience with Amtrak, or better yet, from Detroit to Chicago?
What are the trains like?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Your favourite places in New York City
- 2 Jimmy Carter teaches Sunday School in Plains, Georgia
- 3 Royal Kahana Maui
- 4 Best Brunswick Stew in Norfolk, Va
- 5 July 4th fireworks in NYC
- 6 Gabfest in Fredericksburg VA
- 7 Trip Starting from New York
- 8 Mystic CT
- 9 Florida - East Coast vs. Gulf Coast - opinion asap
- 10 Thanksgiving Day in NYC
- 11 Keep checking those car rental rates
- 12 Travel advice for travel from Portland to San Diego
- 13 Mystic, Portland, Camden, Bar Harbor
- 14 Portland, Crater Lake and coast to LA
- 15 Need Help with Kauai Condo Choices
- 16 September Travel
- 17 Parking in Boston
- 18 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 19 San Francisco to Seattle road trip
- 20 Day trip suggestions from Frankenmuth
- 21 Road trip out west
- 22 Need Northeast itinerary ASAP
- 23 Lake Chelan
- 24 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 25 1st trip to Colorado
Detroit to Chicago via Amtrak - Anyone with Recent Experience??