We are a couple with 6-year-old boy and mother-in-law in search of a summer/fall vacation destination. Anything more than about five hours' drive/train (or a cheap flight -- $150/$200 each, say) will be a non-starter with the missus.
The ideal spot for us is Washington D.C., which we've visited each of the last couple of years. The wife and I love European cities, and I think D.C. comes closest; it's a great mix of attractions for adults and kids. Something like Quebec City or Ottawa would interest us but seems to be too far by ground and too expensive by air. Our destination doesn't have to be a city, but a little natural beauty goes a long way for us, especially with the little guy.
Right now, my fallback would be a Pennsylvania trip, which would put us near a lot of theme parks for our son but not so much for the adults, I don't think -- kind of like a close-to-home/poor man's Disney trip (something else we've done each of the last couple of years). Seems like you could cobble together something in central New Hampshire, too. What great place don't I know about?
Thanks for any help
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
- 2 Vegas to Grand Canyon by car in a day
- 3 Flipkey may be worse the vrbo
- 4 Husband unable to walk long distances
- 5 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 6 Road Trippin' I-94, I-90, I-5, I-70, & I-80
- 7 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 8 Pacific Coast Highway 1st Timer
- 9 Tioga Rd closed May-Oct??
- 10 All you can eat lobster in vegas and caviar
- 11 Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon in June 2018
- 12 Inexpensive NYC Meals 2.0
- 13 GOOD EATING ON THE DRIVE BETWEEN FLORIDA AND THE NORTHEAST??
- 14 Hotel near Marlins Park
- 15 Two Seniors Visit NOLA, Cajuns and MS, Leave Wiser
- 16 limited mobility for Savannah
- 17 Easter Week in Key West April 2017
- 18 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 19 Northwest Passage
- 20 Travelling to Colorado for the First Time - What Should I See and Do?
- 21 Cleveland in 36 hours
- 22 17 DAYS - NATIONAL PARKS (LOOP FROM VEGAS)
- 23 Northwest Car Trip
- 24 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 25 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!