We are a couple with 6-year-old boy and mother-in-law in search of a summer/fall vacation destination. Anything more than about five hours' drive/train (or a cheap flight -- $150/$200 each, say) will be a non-starter with the missus.
The ideal spot for us is Washington D.C., which we've visited each of the last couple of years. The wife and I love European cities, and I think D.C. comes closest; it's a great mix of attractions for adults and kids. Something like Quebec City or Ottawa would interest us but seems to be too far by ground and too expensive by air. Our destination doesn't have to be a city, but a little natural beauty goes a long way for us, especially with the little guy.
Right now, my fallback would be a Pennsylvania trip, which would put us near a lot of theme parks for our son but not so much for the adults, I don't think -- kind of like a close-to-home/poor man's Disney trip (something else we've done each of the last couple of years). Seems like you could cobble together something in central New Hampshire, too. What great place don't I know about?
Thanks for any help
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Arizona in winter
- 2 disneyland
- 3 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 4 Restaurant Recommendations mid-city Manhattan
- 5 Key West
- 6 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 7 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 8 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 9 Las Vegas Vacation
- 10 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 11 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 12 moving to Florida
- 13 Warmth in December without Zika??
- 14 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 15 DC restaurant report
- 16 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 17 Trip Report: San Francisco, Monterey, Wine Country
- 18 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 19 Northern California Redwoods
- 20 Southwestern Virginia Ideas?
- 21 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 22 East Tennesee to mohonk.
- 23 Neue Galerie
- 24 SF with school-age kids -- too much to choose!
- 25 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans