I know this is a lot to pack into an 9 day trip and have considered flying into Rapid City and out of Denver but the extra expense doesn't justify the 7 hours of drive time savings to me at this point.
My 26 year old daughter and I will be making this trip in mid-September and want it to be a great American Road Trip (minus the long drive from Wisconsin). She really wants to do the SD part and we don't mind driving. My daughter is a zookeeper and we love to spot wildlife. I am a photographer and hope to get some nice shots during good times of light.
Arrive in Denver at 7:30 am
Drive to Keystone, SD area via Crazy Horse
Mount Rushmore evening lighting ceremony
Overnight – Near Mount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Highway
Drive to Sheridan via Spearfish Canyon and Devil’s Tower
Overnight – Sheridan, WY
Drive to Cooke City via Red Lodge (lunch) and the Beartooth Highway (evening)
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Lamar Valley wildlife watch early AM
Mammoth area, Indian Creek, Mount Washburn hike (part of it), Tower Fall
Evening wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Early morning wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Area east of Fishing Bridge, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone , Yellowstone Lake, Norris Campground
area (Elk in rut), Norris basin at sunset
Overnight – Old Faithful Lodge
Geysers at sunrise, Firehole Lake Drive, hike to Fairy Falls, Gibbon Falls
Drive to Grand Teton in the afternoon
Oxbow Bend at sunset
Overnight – GTNP
Schaubacher Landing at sunrise
Moultons Barn, Snake River Overlook
Jenny Lake and Signal Lake hike
Drive to Rock Springs
Overnight – Rock Springs, WY
Drive to Morrison, CO. Go via Steamboat Springs and Rocky Mountain NP if time
Jason Mraz at Red Rocks Amphitheater
Overnight – Denver
Depart DEN at 10:00 am
Any feedback will be welcomed!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Maui experts..too late to plan August-Sept. visit???
- 2 Oregon Overnight south of Crater Lake
- 3 CT to ABQ-favorite routes?
- 4 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 5 Rolling Thunder on Sunday- how bad will traffic be?
- 6 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 7 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 8 Best weather and tips to roadtrip to west coast USA
- 9 Daughters/ mother 4/5 girl trip
- 10 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 11 sugestions
- 12 Default Vegas-GC-Antelope-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 13 Yellowstone/Grand Teton Camping Itinerary
- 14 Rules of the NY Subway
- 15 Big Sur Help!!
- 16 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 17 Travel from Philadelphia to New York
- 18 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 19 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 20 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 21 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 22 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 23 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 24 Drive from Chicago to Yellowstone and back
- 25 Montana, Wyoming ideas including beartooth highway and little big hotn
Denver, SD, Yellowstone, GTNP, Denver loop itinerary feedback