I know this is a lot to pack into an 9 day trip and have considered flying into Rapid City and out of Denver but the extra expense doesn't justify the 7 hours of drive time savings to me at this point.
My 26 year old daughter and I will be making this trip in mid-September and want it to be a great American Road Trip (minus the long drive from Wisconsin). She really wants to do the SD part and we don't mind driving. My daughter is a zookeeper and we love to spot wildlife. I am a photographer and hope to get some nice shots during good times of light.
Arrive in Denver at 7:30 am
Drive to Keystone, SD area via Crazy Horse
Mount Rushmore evening lighting ceremony
Overnight – Near Mount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Highway
Drive to Sheridan via Spearfish Canyon and Devil’s Tower
Overnight – Sheridan, WY
Drive to Cooke City via Red Lodge (lunch) and the Beartooth Highway (evening)
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Lamar Valley wildlife watch early AM
Mammoth area, Indian Creek, Mount Washburn hike (part of it), Tower Fall
Evening wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Early morning wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Area east of Fishing Bridge, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone , Yellowstone Lake, Norris Campground
area (Elk in rut), Norris basin at sunset
Overnight – Old Faithful Lodge
Geysers at sunrise, Firehole Lake Drive, hike to Fairy Falls, Gibbon Falls
Drive to Grand Teton in the afternoon
Oxbow Bend at sunset
Overnight – GTNP
Schaubacher Landing at sunrise
Moultons Barn, Snake River Overlook
Jenny Lake and Signal Lake hike
Drive to Rock Springs
Overnight – Rock Springs, WY
Drive to Morrison, CO. Go via Steamboat Springs and Rocky Mountain NP if time
Jason Mraz at Red Rocks Amphitheater
Overnight – Denver
Depart DEN at 10:00 am
Any feedback will be welcomed!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Do you need a car in Siesta Key? 1st timer....
- 2 A great birthday trip to Charleston!
- 3 Maine weather and temps
- 4 Road Trip from Dallas to Miami
- 5 Hawaii Itinerary for Family with Teens
- 6 New York with my 16 year old granddaughter
- 7 Kids missing three weeks of school.
- 8 Need help planning....
- 9 L.A. and Sequoia
- 10 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 11 Key West - Kids Friendly?
- 12 Hawaii with 2 young teens
- 13 Week motorcycle ride
- 14 Embassy Suites HOnolulu
- 15 Broadway
- 16 South Point/Ka Lae - Southern Most Point of the USA
- 17 Farmer's market in Lancaster County, PA
- 18 Buying MI lake house- which lake is warmer, medium sized and clear?
- 19 Favorites in North/South Carolina/Georgia? Help please!
- 20 Not enough time, i guess..
- 21 Moving to New York City, Where can i find a good place?
- 22 San Diego Marriott Coronado Island or Marriott Marquis downtown?
- 23 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 24 Traveling across the US
- 25 Great Smoky Mountains National Park Trip Report
Denver, SD, Yellowstone, GTNP, Denver loop itinerary feedback