I know this is a lot to pack into an 9 day trip and have considered flying into Rapid City and out of Denver but the extra expense doesn't justify the 7 hours of drive time savings to me at this point.
My 26 year old daughter and I will be making this trip in mid-September and want it to be a great American Road Trip (minus the long drive from Wisconsin). She really wants to do the SD part and we don't mind driving. My daughter is a zookeeper and we love to spot wildlife. I am a photographer and hope to get some nice shots during good times of light.
Arrive in Denver at 7:30 am
Drive to Keystone, SD area via Crazy Horse
Mount Rushmore evening lighting ceremony
Overnight – Near Mount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Highway
Drive to Sheridan via Spearfish Canyon and Devil’s Tower
Overnight – Sheridan, WY
Drive to Cooke City via Red Lodge (lunch) and the Beartooth Highway (evening)
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Lamar Valley wildlife watch early AM
Mammoth area, Indian Creek, Mount Washburn hike (part of it), Tower Fall
Evening wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Early morning wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Area east of Fishing Bridge, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone , Yellowstone Lake, Norris Campground
area (Elk in rut), Norris basin at sunset
Overnight – Old Faithful Lodge
Geysers at sunrise, Firehole Lake Drive, hike to Fairy Falls, Gibbon Falls
Drive to Grand Teton in the afternoon
Oxbow Bend at sunset
Overnight – GTNP
Schaubacher Landing at sunrise
Moultons Barn, Snake River Overlook
Jenny Lake and Signal Lake hike
Drive to Rock Springs
Overnight – Rock Springs, WY
Drive to Morrison, CO. Go via Steamboat Springs and Rocky Mountain NP if time
Jason Mraz at Red Rocks Amphitheater
Overnight – Denver
Depart DEN at 10:00 am
Any feedback will be welcomed!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ensure that the dish is made of glass
- 2 Day trip to Disney, Orlando
- 3 Roadtrip July 2017
- 4 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 5 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 6 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine
- 7 Help Please - NYC Questions and Plans
- 8 Luxury hotel in Charleston
- 9 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 10 Moab Weekend with Kids
- 11 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 12 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 13 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 14 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 15 RIP Rob Stewart/Sharkwater
- 16 Alabama vacation "shark teeth fossils"
- 17 Amtrak prices go up and down?
- 18 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 19 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 20 Restaurant suggestion in Venice, Fl
- 21 Retiring to Tucson
- 22 10 days vacation in California
- 23 Summer Vacation Ideas
- 24 Naples Hotel and Everglades
- 25 Grand Canyon solo - advisable?
Denver, SD, Yellowstone, GTNP, Denver loop itinerary feedback