I know this is a lot to pack into an 9 day trip and have considered flying into Rapid City and out of Denver but the extra expense doesn't justify the 7 hours of drive time savings to me at this point.
My 26 year old daughter and I will be making this trip in mid-September and want it to be a great American Road Trip (minus the long drive from Wisconsin). She really wants to do the SD part and we don't mind driving. My daughter is a zookeeper and we love to spot wildlife. I am a photographer and hope to get some nice shots during good times of light.
Arrive in Denver at 7:30 am
Drive to Keystone, SD area via Crazy Horse
Mount Rushmore evening lighting ceremony
Overnight – Near Mount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Highway
Drive to Sheridan via Spearfish Canyon and Devil’s Tower
Overnight – Sheridan, WY
Drive to Cooke City via Red Lodge (lunch) and the Beartooth Highway (evening)
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Lamar Valley wildlife watch early AM
Mammoth area, Indian Creek, Mount Washburn hike (part of it), Tower Fall
Evening wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Early morning wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Area east of Fishing Bridge, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone , Yellowstone Lake, Norris Campground
area (Elk in rut), Norris basin at sunset
Overnight – Old Faithful Lodge
Geysers at sunrise, Firehole Lake Drive, hike to Fairy Falls, Gibbon Falls
Drive to Grand Teton in the afternoon
Oxbow Bend at sunset
Overnight – GTNP
Schaubacher Landing at sunrise
Moultons Barn, Snake River Overlook
Jenny Lake and Signal Lake hike
Drive to Rock Springs
Overnight – Rock Springs, WY
Drive to Morrison, CO. Go via Steamboat Springs and Rocky Mountain NP if time
Jason Mraz at Red Rocks Amphitheater
Overnight – Denver
Depart DEN at 10:00 am
Any feedback will be welcomed!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 USC毕业证文凭办理南加州大学毕业证成绩单Q微信875093404学历认证Southern California
- 2 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 3 Senior Travel Helper
- 4 Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 5 your favorite city USA?
- 6 Yellowstone in Early October?
- 7 Help with VT/NH driving trip in October
- 8 Washington and Seattle Itinerary
- 9 Ideas please for travel between Grand Canyon & Monument Valley
- 10 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 11 Choosing between a few cities for a long weekend trip
- 12 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 13 Austin with Kids
- 14 ogunquit or kennenukport
- 15 Two days out of Seattle
- 16 New Orleans and Slidell
- 17 Help with driving East to West
- 18 Pacific coast road trip
- 19 Long weekend in D.C. With family
- 20 Driving Trip to Idaho
- 21 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 22 South Carolina
- 23 New York City Transportation Experts - this one is for you!
- 24 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 25 Flight Deals to Hawaii From Nashville?
Denver, SD, Yellowstone, GTNP, Denver loop itinerary feedback