I know this is a lot to pack into an 9 day trip and have considered flying into Rapid City and out of Denver but the extra expense doesn't justify the 7 hours of drive time savings to me at this point.
My 26 year old daughter and I will be making this trip in mid-September and want it to be a great American Road Trip (minus the long drive from Wisconsin). She really wants to do the SD part and we don't mind driving. My daughter is a zookeeper and we love to spot wildlife. I am a photographer and hope to get some nice shots during good times of light.
Arrive in Denver at 7:30 am
Drive to Keystone, SD area via Crazy Horse
Mount Rushmore evening lighting ceremony
Overnight – Near Mount Rushmore
Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Highway
Drive to Sheridan via Spearfish Canyon and Devil’s Tower
Overnight – Sheridan, WY
Drive to Cooke City via Red Lodge (lunch) and the Beartooth Highway (evening)
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Lamar Valley wildlife watch early AM
Mammoth area, Indian Creek, Mount Washburn hike (part of it), Tower Fall
Evening wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Overnight – Cooke City, MT
Early morning wildlife watch at Lamar Valley
Area east of Fishing Bridge, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone , Yellowstone Lake, Norris Campground
area (Elk in rut), Norris basin at sunset
Overnight – Old Faithful Lodge
Geysers at sunrise, Firehole Lake Drive, hike to Fairy Falls, Gibbon Falls
Drive to Grand Teton in the afternoon
Oxbow Bend at sunset
Overnight – GTNP
Schaubacher Landing at sunrise
Moultons Barn, Snake River Overlook
Jenny Lake and Signal Lake hike
Drive to Rock Springs
Overnight – Rock Springs, WY
Drive to Morrison, CO. Go via Steamboat Springs and Rocky Mountain NP if time
Jason Mraz at Red Rocks Amphitheater
Overnight – Denver
Depart DEN at 10:00 am
Any feedback will be welcomed!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 My Topic TitlePalm Springs at the Last MInute, Help Please!
- 2 Highway 1 motels
- 3 Do you travel with your US passport if just traveling in the US?
- 4 Should we skip Yosemite?
- 5 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 6 Need a short term apartment in BOSTON
- 7 3 weeks No Cal and OR coast trip advise
- 8 AC Hotels cheap by clean
- 9 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 10 Car Hire Alamo
- 11 NC large cabin rental - Thanksgiving
- 12 Telluride Parking - Cheaper Options
- 13 11 days SE coast road trip
- 14 International student, applying for school
- 15 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 16 Seattle - newby questions
- 17 Glacier National Park, should we cancel our plans?
- 18 Roadtrip in the South. Help on when to go!
- 19 Mackinac or Holland?
- 20 Alabama vs. Florida Beaches
- 21 Best beach to try surfing around Monterey/Santa Cruz?
- 22 Photographers Need Maine Driving Itinerary from Fairfield County, CT
- 23 Places to stay in TX...?
- 24 Smoky Mountains -Cades Cove saw wolf.
- 25 Looking for pretty waterfront hotel for weekend trip from Detroit
Denver, SD, Yellowstone, GTNP, Denver loop itinerary feedback