Will be in Alaska for 15 days in July this year. Have it all planned out, with visits to Anchorage., Seward, Kenai Fjords, Prince William Sound, Valdez, McCarthy, Wrangell St. Elias and Wasilla.
I had a couple of days before I flew home from Anchorage, and I had penciled in 2 nights and i full day in Denali. Staying just outside the main entrance.
Having looked into it in more detail, I'm now asking myself is it worth the drive from Anchorage, then having to spend 3-4 hours on a bus on a bumpy park road just to do some self-guided hiking on open tundra.
I will already have done glacier hiking and kayakiing in Kenai Fjords, and Ice Climbing and Rafting in Wrangell St. Elias. The only real reason i was going to Denali is because its famous and there's a better chance of seeing Grizzlies.
But now having looked into it, Im starting to think id be better off staying somewhere around Anchorage for the last 2 nights.
What do you think? Aside from Seward, Kenai Fjords are there other places within 2 hours drove if Anchorage which would be worth it more than Denali or am I not giving Denali enough credit?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Traveling Alone
- 2 Last minute trip to Arizona
- 3 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 4 Moving to a new state looking for advice
- 5 Moving to Florida from Oregon
- 6 Seeking adivce- 12 days Oregon only or OR/WA
- 7 Christmas Dinner in NYC?
- 8 Arizona in late January
- 9 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans
- 10 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 11 Looking for Panhandle advice
- 12 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 13 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 14 Driving from Sacramento to San Francisco
- 15 Getty center and Getty Villa
- 16 Las Vegas Vacation
- 17 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 18 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 19 Fall Foliage Peak 2016 NW Arkansas?
- 20 Reasonable accommodations in Wyoming
- 21 Glacier National Park
- 22 Itinerary suggestion for southern Utah and Arizona
- 23 Vegas with toddler twins
- 24 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 25 New Mexico in May