My wife and I are planning to fly from Manchester in the UK in early Spring 2013 to spend 2 weeks in the Deep South. We've travelled a lot around the USA, but this will be our first in the southern states apart from one night each in Atlanta, Charleston and Nashville. We're planning on flying into Austin, Texas, then driving to San Antonio. Then we'll either drive to somewhere on the coast (suggestions please) partway to Baton Rouge or Lafayette, or we'll take a short flight into Louisiana where we'd like to see New Orleans. So far so good. But we've never experienced Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas so we're thinking of a drive through AL and MS, up to Memphis and across to Little Rock (or maybe there are better places in Arkansas). We fly home from Little Rock. Now, here's the rub. I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas. Can anyone come up with some good places to visit? We'd like to experience country, cajun and blues music. Also local food, shopping, maybe a historical site like a civil war museum, art galleries and one of the plantations.
Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cabins less than one hour Rabun County Georgia in NC
- 2 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 3 Dining in D.C.
- 4 MICHIGAN - UPPER PENINSULA
- 5 Jersey City Parking
- 6 Washington DC Metro
- 7 MACINAC ISLAND, MICHIGAN
- 8 Kennebunkport and....?
- 9 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 10 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 11 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 12 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 13 Where to go in Maine?
- 14 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 15 Travel options from Washington DC to Williamsburg, Virginia
- 16 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 17 Wedding in Hawaii
- 18 Houseboat on Lake Powell
- 19 rain in Kauai
- 20 Alaska cruise and land
- 21 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 22 Alaska Itinerary/Suggestions
- 23 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 24 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 25 Hotel in Santa Barbara