My wife and I are planning to fly from Manchester in the UK in early Spring 2013 to spend 2 weeks in the Deep South. We've travelled a lot around the USA, but this will be our first in the southern states apart from one night each in Atlanta, Charleston and Nashville. We're planning on flying into Austin, Texas, then driving to San Antonio. Then we'll either drive to somewhere on the coast (suggestions please) partway to Baton Rouge or Lafayette, or we'll take a short flight into Louisiana where we'd like to see New Orleans. So far so good. But we've never experienced Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas so we're thinking of a drive through AL and MS, up to Memphis and across to Little Rock (or maybe there are better places in Arkansas). We fly home from Little Rock. Now, here's the rub. I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas. Can anyone come up with some good places to visit? We'd like to experience country, cajun and blues music. Also local food, shopping, maybe a historical site like a civil war museum, art galleries and one of the plantations.
Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013
View all United States activity »
- 1 Micron Associates: My week as an Amazon insider
- 2 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 3 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 4 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 5 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 6 Savanah Sojourn
- 7 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 8 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 9 Ohare Clearing Customs from VIE Sat May 24 @ 1:30pm for 3:10pm flight
- 10 Our first trip to the USA: What a holiday it has been!
- 11 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 12 Old Fall River Road closed in Rocky Mountain National Park through 2014
- 13 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 14 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 15 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 16 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 17 Warm and don't Drive
- 18 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 19 Help Requested for Winter Cross-Country Driving Move
- 20 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 21 Madison Square Garden
- 22 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 23 Got Plans for New Year's Eve? Want to Count Down With a Giant Walleye?
- 24 St. Augustine, Florida
- 25 hotel near Met NYC