My wife and I are planning to fly from Manchester in the UK in early Spring 2013 to spend 2 weeks in the Deep South. We've travelled a lot around the USA, but this will be our first in the southern states apart from one night each in Atlanta, Charleston and Nashville. We're planning on flying into Austin, Texas, then driving to San Antonio. Then we'll either drive to somewhere on the coast (suggestions please) partway to Baton Rouge or Lafayette, or we'll take a short flight into Louisiana where we'd like to see New Orleans. So far so good. But we've never experienced Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas so we're thinking of a drive through AL and MS, up to Memphis and across to Little Rock (or maybe there are better places in Arkansas). We fly home from Little Rock. Now, here's the rub. I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas. Can anyone come up with some good places to visit? We'd like to experience country, cajun and blues music. Also local food, shopping, maybe a historical site like a civil war museum, art galleries and one of the plantations.
Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013
- 1 New York, New York...my kind of town
- 2 Seattle Hotel Choice and Other Questions
- 3 Another apartment rental scam in NYC
- 4 Fireworks on the Fourth of July on the Mall
- 5 Going to Dodge City, Kansas
- 6 Kauai Activity Suggestions Needed!
- 7 Trying To Find a Place
- 8 Logan Express
- 9 Yet another question about which DC Metro pass to purchase
- 10 Search (for) Hotel suite using iPhone or laptop app?
- 11 Looking for inexpensive lodging near Dulles Airport
- 12 Cast Party at Birdland Monday nights
- 13 Hiking Questions --Many Glacier
- 14 One day in NYC
- 15 Chicago Architectural Tours
- 16 Columbus food !
- 17 Wildfire near Yosemite
- 18 Best ice cream in Charleston
- 19 hotel in carmel or monterey
- 20 Late night transportation PDX to downtown Portland?
- 21 A trip to east coast vs a trip to Hawaii
- 22 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 23 TIMESHARE uour opinion on buying timeshare
- 24 San Francisco - Exploratorium
- 25 Driving trip from Toronto to San Antonio