My wife and I are planning to fly from Manchester in the UK in early Spring 2013 to spend 2 weeks in the Deep South. We've travelled a lot around the USA, but this will be our first in the southern states apart from one night each in Atlanta, Charleston and Nashville. We're planning on flying into Austin, Texas, then driving to San Antonio. Then we'll either drive to somewhere on the coast (suggestions please) partway to Baton Rouge or Lafayette, or we'll take a short flight into Louisiana where we'd like to see New Orleans. So far so good. But we've never experienced Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas so we're thinking of a drive through AL and MS, up to Memphis and across to Little Rock (or maybe there are better places in Arkansas). We fly home from Little Rock. Now, here's the rub. I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas. Can anyone come up with some good places to visit? We'd like to experience country, cajun and blues music. Also local food, shopping, maybe a historical site like a civil war museum, art galleries and one of the plantations.
Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Prince of Wales or Many Glacier? WHY?
- 2 Fiery Furnace Hike in Arches national park
- 3 Bar Harbor and Boston
- 4 Flight Deals to Hawaii From Nashville?
- 5 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 6 Kaanapali Beach Hotel- Maui
- 7 Taking the St. Charles streetcar - looking for a stop along the way . . .
- 8 Where to stay and what to do in New York!?
- 9 Broadway show suggestions April 22 or 23
- 10 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 11 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 12 Why you shouldn't hang your purse over the back of your chair in Boston
- 13 Charleston, SC 5 days
- 14 Best to do list on Hawaii
- 15 One week roundtrip LAX - Advice Please
- 16 Kauai Garden tours
- 17 California San Diego area lodging
- 18 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 19 Maui - Haleakala
- 20 Utah 2
- 21 Dessert with a view in Monterey?
- 22 Small group dining in Napa area
- 23 Kauai - rainy forecast every day of our trip!
- 24 January Jaunt to the Southernmost City ~ Long with Pics!
- 25 Hawaii is still Hell