I need your southwestern Colorado expertise! This September, my husband and I, along with my parents, are planning to visit southwest Colorado. My husband and I travel to Estes Park twice a year but have never been to the southwest area so we thought we would mix it up.
Here is a rough draft itinerary/initial thoughts:
Thursday- Fly to ABQ (from Austin); drive 3 1/2 hours to Durango; settle into hotel
Friday- Mesa Verde National Park
Saturday- Train from Durango to Silverton
Sunday- San Juan Skyway
Monday- repeat San Juan Skyway
Tuesday- Fly home
We plan to be up early and out until dark to make the most of our days. The help I am needing is regarding the San Juan Skyway.
1) Is it possible to make the loop in one day which includes spending time in Ouray and Telluride with Durango being our base?
2) Will we feel like doing the loop again?
3) Your suggestion for tackling the loop? Suggestions regarding our other days.
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Boston Restaurant suggestion
- 2 I want the ultimate cabin away
- 3 Kathie & Cheryl's notes from Kauai 2017
- 4 Pacific Grove for 5 or 6 nights
- 5 Mesa Verde National Park Colorado
- 6 Small beach town like Seaside, FL?
- 7 flagstaff
- 8 San Fransisco to Seattle Drive
- 9 US Trip
- 10 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
- 11 San Francisco, Portland, & Seattle Honeymoon
- 12 Holmes Beach, Anna Maria Island, Florida
- 13 UC Santa Barbara hotels
- 14 DC GTG Dinner at Carmine's, April 29
- 15 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 16 Feinsteins 54 Below
- 17 Rocky Mountain road trip
- 18 Boston hotel in May - Suburb and using the T-line
- 19 Dinner with two 12 year old boys
- 20 Miami Beach and Baseball Trip - Hampton Inn or Sheraton Four Points
- 21 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 22 Carrizo Plain National Monument Wildflower "Superbloom"
- 23 Austin, Hotel
- 24 The Big Island - Best Way to See the Volcano
- 25 Bryce and Zion planning