I need your southwestern Colorado expertise! This September, my husband and I, along with my parents, are planning to visit southwest Colorado. My husband and I travel to Estes Park twice a year but have never been to the southwest area so we thought we would mix it up.
Here is a rough draft itinerary/initial thoughts:
Thursday- Fly to ABQ (from Austin); drive 3 1/2 hours to Durango; settle into hotel
Friday- Mesa Verde National Park
Saturday- Train from Durango to Silverton
Sunday- San Juan Skyway
Monday- repeat San Juan Skyway
Tuesday- Fly home
We plan to be up early and out until dark to make the most of our days. The help I am needing is regarding the San Juan Skyway.
1) Is it possible to make the loop in one day which includes spending time in Ouray and Telluride with Durango being our base?
2) Will we feel like doing the loop again?
3) Your suggestion for tackling the loop? Suggestions regarding our other days.
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Relocating?
- 2 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 3 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 4 stopping off I 81 South
- 5 NYC with 8 yr old
- 6 2 months in Hawaii!
- 7 Road trip October
- 8 Need help: itinerary from Kansas City to Yellowstone and back
- 9 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 10 Advice on tipping
- 11 Restaurant near Dana on the bay San Diego
- 12 Mosser Hotel in San Francisco, CA
- 13 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 14 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 15 Sonoma Wine Tour 2 nights
- 16 September Road Trip in New England
- 17 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 18 Yreka, CA to Medford, OR, Siskiyou Pass
- 19 Road Trip
- 20 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 21 Self-Catering to Lunch at Philadelphia's Barnes Collection
- 22 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 23 Campground and Beach near Mystic, Ct
- 24 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley
- 25 Hilton Head restaurants