I have a family of 4 including me, my wife, 8 year old and almost 2 year old kids.
I'm planning a trip to east coast in Oct for 11 full days of traveling days. We're arriving in Dulles on Oct 1 afternoon and flying out on Oct 13 morning. My flight are all booked and cannot be changed and I already paid for rental car so we will be taking our SUV wherever we go even if we have to leave our car at a hotel in big cities like New York or DC. Flights and car can't be changed.
First of all, I appreciate all of your honest advice. So we have decided to trim many places we wanted to include.
We're now thinking about DC, New York and Maine, maybe including Acadia NP.
I was initially planning to make a big loop through Niagara but with all the advice, we decide to skip all that and stick to east coast cities. That made part of our plan a waste of time since we might be driving up and down instead of making a one way trip. But, that's ok. It was my fault.
Anyway, we don't want to get farther away from Dulles as we travel cuz it's kinda scary and streeful. If we start from a far and getting closer makes me much more comfortable not to miss our flight on 13th.
So I'm thinking about driving like 4 hours as soon as we arrive in Dulles and sleep near Woodbury common outlet area. And we shop there next half day and drive again to 4 to 5 hours to Portland or even more if we include Acadia NP which I love to see.
And we travel from north to south which makes us much more comfortable about catching a flight on 13th. We start either from Portland or Acadia and drive down to New York, maybe Philadelphia for a day and DC at last.
What do you guys think? Is it still too much of driving with two kids? Or any idea or advice? It would be greatif I don't drive same way twice up and down. But, if there's no other cities to check along the way, that's fine as well.
We like sightseeing, food, museums with kids and shopping, especially finding great deals like in outlet malls.
I appreciate all your advice and tips. = ]
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Houston MetroRail
- 2 NE Itinerary - Thoughts?
- 3 Houston: see in the eveing???
- 4 6 days to drive from Wisconsin to Florida solo?
- 5 Lowkey, waterfront, natural area for winter months--no high rises
- 6 Road trip around Washington DC
- 7 Car rental from Baltimore airport
- 8 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 9 Dining in St. Louis
- 10 Tour of the Grand Circle USA .HELP!
- 11 ONLY 2 DAYS IN WILLIAMSBURG
- 12 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 13 North Rim, Page, Bryce & Zion Advice
- 14 Weather in Chicago
- 15 Las V- Grand C - Lake Tahoe
- 16 Help me with this
- 17 SW Colorado-help with details please
- 18 Laguna Beach Hotel
- 19 New Orleans
- 20 7 days in Maine September 23,2017
- 21 Oregon road trip
- 22 family with 3 boys needing help for west coast itinerary
- 23 Sunniest place to stay in Kauai
- 24 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 25 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!