I have a family of 4 including me, my wife, 8 year old and almost 2 year old kids.
I'm planning a trip to east coast in Oct for 11 full days of traveling days. We're arriving in Dulles on Oct 1 afternoon and flying out on Oct 13 morning. My flight are all booked and cannot be changed and I already paid for rental car so we will be taking our SUV wherever we go even if we have to leave our car at a hotel in big cities like New York or DC. Flights and car can't be changed.
First of all, I appreciate all of your honest advice. So we have decided to trim many places we wanted to include.
We're now thinking about DC, New York and Maine, maybe including Acadia NP.
I was initially planning to make a big loop through Niagara but with all the advice, we decide to skip all that and stick to east coast cities. That made part of our plan a waste of time since we might be driving up and down instead of making a one way trip. But, that's ok. It was my fault.
Anyway, we don't want to get farther away from Dulles as we travel cuz it's kinda scary and streeful. If we start from a far and getting closer makes me much more comfortable not to miss our flight on 13th.
So I'm thinking about driving like 4 hours as soon as we arrive in Dulles and sleep near Woodbury common outlet area. And we shop there next half day and drive again to 4 to 5 hours to Portland or even more if we include Acadia NP which I love to see.
And we travel from north to south which makes us much more comfortable about catching a flight on 13th. We start either from Portland or Acadia and drive down to New York, maybe Philadelphia for a day and DC at last.
What do you guys think? Is it still too much of driving with two kids? Or any idea or advice? It would be greatif I don't drive same way twice up and down. But, if there's no other cities to check along the way, that's fine as well.
We like sightseeing, food, museums with kids and shopping, especially finding great deals like in outlet malls.
I appreciate all your advice and tips. = ]
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving from Chicago to Sacramento
- 2 Another JFK to Manhattan Question
- 3 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 4 Has anyone tried Car Wiz for rentals?
- 5 Short Notice
- 6 Advice needed: first trip to Hawaii
- 7 4 days in San Francisco
- 8 New offer from Southwest for California residents
- 9 Trip for 2 to Colorado need ideas.
- 10 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 11 Novel in Progress
- 12 5 Days in Charleston and Savannah in December?
- 13 Pawley's Island, SC Favorite Restaurants?
- 14 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 15 Rental car between Providence, RI and Woodstock CT
- 16 Norris Geyser Basin - Yellowstone National Park
- 17 RV road trip from CA to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
- 18 Another Great DC Trip
- 19 Place to watch World Series in St. Pete Beach?
- 20 Acadia/Bar Harbor in early June
- 21 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 22 Trip Report National Parks Utah in October 2017
- 23 Utah National Parks Itinerary help please
- 24 Lodging Grand Canyon South Rim
- 25 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area