A friend of mine's father got diagnosed with ALS in January 4 days after his 60th birthday. I know what he is going through as my grandfather had it. Over the last month, he has gotten progressively worse and it doesnt look like it will be long. My friend decided he needed to get out of here for a day and go to a baseball game. Twist my arm!!! We tried for Red Sox tickets but they were sold out for Saturday's game. But there were Braves vs Mets tickets so we grabbed 2 Upper Deck seats.
My friends brother lives in LA and hasn't been able to come home as much as he wants or probably should have. He called me on Friday that he was flying into JFK on Saturday and meeting up with us at the game. He asked me to keep it a surprise for his brother. His flight landed around 3pm or so.
The 2 of us coming from Hartford and drove to Milford to take Metro North into NYC. We got on the 7:40 am train. There is construction going on the tracks currently so the train is taking longer. Not a big deal. 1 benefit of parking in Milford rather than New Haven is that the commuter lots are free on weekends.
On the train, we decided to change from the Intrepid Museum to go to the Natural History Museum as my friend wants to bring his niece to the Intrepid later this summer. We got to Grand Central around 9:30 and took the subway to AMNH. There was construction on the tracks so no local service to the museum. It took 3 transfers to get there but we weren't in a rush. Had I had time to look this up beforehand, I would have gotten off Metro North at Harlem / 125th St and taken the subway from there to save these transfers but not a big deal.
more to come
Day Trip to NYC and Citi Field (June 4)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Mt. Hood or Columbia Gorge for family reunion?
- 2 Ackislander
- 3 ski trip: utah or colorado
- 4 San Francisco hotel in Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square
- 5 Disney Hotel. Which should we book?
- 6 Omni Orlando Resort Champions Gate
- 7 What National Parks to visit in Mid-March
- 8 Keith Haring Exhibit at the De Young, San Francisco
- 9 Gulf access or beach an hr or so north of Tampa?
- 10 Las Vegas to San Francisco - Kings Canyon or Sequoia National Park?
- 11 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 12 Petrified national forest, AZ
- 13 New York City- Henri Matisse Cutouts at MOMA
- 14 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 15 Less than a day in Seattle area
- 16 Cross Country RV Trip
- 17 Hotels Philly
- 18 Restaurants near Miami Airport
- 19 How to get there from here..routing advice, North Rim to Moab
- 20 Car renting - Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara
- 21 17 day photo trip report - upstate New York
- 22 Cleveland Park or the West end for DC family spring break
- 23 Miami with a 2 yr old -- any activities?
- 24 California
- 25 San Francisco to LA or LA to San Francisco ?!?