A friend of mine's father got diagnosed with ALS in January 4 days after his 60th birthday. I know what he is going through as my grandfather had it. Over the last month, he has gotten progressively worse and it doesnt look like it will be long. My friend decided he needed to get out of here for a day and go to a baseball game. Twist my arm!!! We tried for Red Sox tickets but they were sold out for Saturday's game. But there were Braves vs Mets tickets so we grabbed 2 Upper Deck seats.
My friends brother lives in LA and hasn't been able to come home as much as he wants or probably should have. He called me on Friday that he was flying into JFK on Saturday and meeting up with us at the game. He asked me to keep it a surprise for his brother. His flight landed around 3pm or so.
The 2 of us coming from Hartford and drove to Milford to take Metro North into NYC. We got on the 7:40 am train. There is construction going on the tracks currently so the train is taking longer. Not a big deal. 1 benefit of parking in Milford rather than New Haven is that the commuter lots are free on weekends.
On the train, we decided to change from the Intrepid Museum to go to the Natural History Museum as my friend wants to bring his niece to the Intrepid later this summer. We got to Grand Central around 9:30 and took the subway to AMNH. There was construction on the tracks so no local service to the museum. It took 3 transfers to get there but we weren't in a rush. Had I had time to look this up beforehand, I would have gotten off Metro North at Harlem / 125th St and taken the subway from there to save these transfers but not a big deal.
more to come
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Chicago, Illinois: Where to stay? Do you need a car?
- 2 Maine/Vermont/Quebec vs. Costa Rica?
- 3 Paying for Permit Land Crossing USA to Mexico
- 4 easy to access car rental near but not in Logan Airport
- 5 Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs
- 6 Restaurant recommendations...Chelsea Market, Korea Town
- 7 Best route from Battle Creek, MI to Bar Harbor, ME
- 8 New York Pass Yes or No ???
- 9 Rental Car Orlando
- 10 Inexpensive family getaways
- 11 ALASKA FOR 7 DAYS
- 12 Boston College Visit with older teen. Highlights to see and do.
- 13 Discounted Rental Car?
- 14 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 15 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 16 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 17 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 18 Valdez, Alaska
- 19 NJ to Florida drive
- 20 Driving from central Florida to Napa CA
- 21 Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. 2016 trip - Need suggestions
- 22 San Francisco & West Hollywood restaurants
- 23 Help with itinerary...4 days in DC
- 24 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico
- 25 Yellowstone/Grand Teton,feeric but turists and Xanterra need improvement