A friend of mine's father got diagnosed with ALS in January 4 days after his 60th birthday. I know what he is going through as my grandfather had it. Over the last month, he has gotten progressively worse and it doesnt look like it will be long. My friend decided he needed to get out of here for a day and go to a baseball game. Twist my arm!!! We tried for Red Sox tickets but they were sold out for Saturday's game. But there were Braves vs Mets tickets so we grabbed 2 Upper Deck seats.
My friends brother lives in LA and hasn't been able to come home as much as he wants or probably should have. He called me on Friday that he was flying into JFK on Saturday and meeting up with us at the game. He asked me to keep it a surprise for his brother. His flight landed around 3pm or so.
The 2 of us coming from Hartford and drove to Milford to take Metro North into NYC. We got on the 7:40 am train. There is construction going on the tracks currently so the train is taking longer. Not a big deal. 1 benefit of parking in Milford rather than New Haven is that the commuter lots are free on weekends.
On the train, we decided to change from the Intrepid Museum to go to the Natural History Museum as my friend wants to bring his niece to the Intrepid later this summer. We got to Grand Central around 9:30 and took the subway to AMNH. There was construction on the tracks so no local service to the museum. It took 3 transfers to get there but we weren't in a rush. Had I had time to look this up beforehand, I would have gotten off Metro North at Harlem / 125th St and taken the subway from there to save these transfers but not a big deal.
more to come
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 2 Roadtrip July 2017
- 3 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
- 4 Yellowstone, Itinerary before
- 5 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 6 Retiring to Tucson
- 7 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 8 Big Sure in June
- 9 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 10 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 11 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 12 Carmel Monterey
- 13 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 14 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 15 Santa Fe Itineray
- 16 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 17 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 18 Arches Devils Garden
- 19 Folly, Surfside, Carolina or Wrightsville Beach?
- 20 RV camping near Yosemite NP
- 21 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 22 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 23 best health clubs with lap pools
- 24 universal studios and disney
- 25 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??