A friend of mine's father got diagnosed with ALS in January 4 days after his 60th birthday. I know what he is going through as my grandfather had it. Over the last month, he has gotten progressively worse and it doesnt look like it will be long. My friend decided he needed to get out of here for a day and go to a baseball game. Twist my arm!!! We tried for Red Sox tickets but they were sold out for Saturday's game. But there were Braves vs Mets tickets so we grabbed 2 Upper Deck seats.
My friends brother lives in LA and hasn't been able to come home as much as he wants or probably should have. He called me on Friday that he was flying into JFK on Saturday and meeting up with us at the game. He asked me to keep it a surprise for his brother. His flight landed around 3pm or so.
The 2 of us coming from Hartford and drove to Milford to take Metro North into NYC. We got on the 7:40 am train. There is construction going on the tracks currently so the train is taking longer. Not a big deal. 1 benefit of parking in Milford rather than New Haven is that the commuter lots are free on weekends.
On the train, we decided to change from the Intrepid Museum to go to the Natural History Museum as my friend wants to bring his niece to the Intrepid later this summer. We got to Grand Central around 9:30 and took the subway to AMNH. There was construction on the tracks so no local service to the museum. It took 3 transfers to get there but we weren't in a rush. Had I had time to look this up beforehand, I would have gotten off Metro North at Harlem / 125th St and taken the subway from there to save these transfers but not a big deal.
more to come
Day Trip to NYC and Citi Field (June 4)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Looking for Next Destination
- 2 Staying at holiday inn express midtown manhattan
- 3 Trip Report - New York & Washington DC – May 30 – June 4, 2014
- 4 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 5 Restaurant recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale
- 6 Dec / Jan in the USA- advice
- 7 4 week family trip ideas
- 8 Tucson area flooding
- 9 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 10 New England Newbie - Help with 13 night itinerary - October
- 11 Las Vegas to San Francisco in October - best route
- 12 TripReport--10 Utah Circle
- 13 Relaxing Honeymoon Week
- 14 St. Simon, Georgia
- 15 Petoskey Fall Break?
- 16 Moving to New Jersey
- 17 Baltimore Inner Harbor to DC - without a car; with luggage - suggestions?
- 18 Eating at south Lake Tahoe
- 19 Which Florida Key for one month stay with infant?
- 20 Planning for Fall Foliage in NE, Oct 2015
- 21 Low Country Honor Flight to Washington DC
- 22 6 Days in NYC and then to Orlando - Best way to fly?
- 23 West Coast Road Trip
- 24 103rd annual northern Navajo nation fair
- 25 Need Minnesota leaf color reports