We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 SFO black friday traffic
- 2 best place for New Year's in the South?
- 3 California & French Polynesia
- 4 General Utah planning questions
- 5 Carmel (and Monterey) weekend with a 4 year old
- 6 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 7 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 8 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 9 Dining in Manhattan
- 10 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 11 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 12 American Honeymoon in March
- 13 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 14 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 15 How to dress in Vegas
- 16 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 17 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 18 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?
- 19 St Patrick's renovations
- 20 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA
- 21 4 week family trip ideas
- 22 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 23 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 24 From Seattle airport to the city
- 25 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.