We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 2 Orlando-off-the-beaten-track
- 3 late-night DC restaurant
- 4 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 5 rental car - Highway 1 Roadtrip
- 6 Exploring New Jersey and New York city
- 7 Trip Report - 4 Days in Olympic National Park
- 8 Please help with daily details for Utah Park trip next month!
- 9 S. Utah 10 day Circle-Itinery-Ist pass
- 10 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 11 Houston in September
- 12 Baggage & Missed Plane Connection Questions
- 13 HAWAII: Honolulu Airport Question
- 14 Oahu ideas
- 15 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 16 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide
- 17 Finally!!! Santa Fe/ Albuquerque Family Christmas Break 2014
- 18 cape cod seashore rail trail
- 19 Yellowstone Road Closures - Impact Old Faithful
- 20 Joe Tro's San Francisco trip report
- 21 Driving from Philly to Stowe, VT. Need a scenic route!
- 22 Transportation between Seattle airport and Victoria Clipper pier
- 23 San Antonio suggestions anyone?
- 24 Dinner-Portland, OR-Favorites?
- 25 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days