We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
- 1 Pine Barrens- where to stay ?
- 2 6 nights go in a blink of an eye! A quick trip to Waikiki
- 3 Disneyworld Stay January 2014
- 4 3 week Holiday Late December/January
- 5 Priceline, WARNING
- 6 Less commercial beach?
- 7 Trip Itinerary Advice Needed - 1wk Yellowstone & Tetons
- 8 French Broad Market in Ashville, NC
- 9 Rehoboth to Wilmington to Cape May - scenic route suggestions please
- 10 J-ville airport ground transportation
- 11 Manzanita Or restaurants
- 12 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 13 Carmel, California where to stay??
- 14 East coast tour - Part3: Florida
- 15 Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park opens today
- 16 stay near newark or nyc
- 17 New York City Parking
- 18 JFK to Upper West Side by subway
- 19 Can You Typically See Mt St Helens on the train from Seattle to Portland?
- 20 South Tahoe around July 4 - GTG?
- 21 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 22 Washington Wineries
- 23 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 24 Best place for rafting: Moab, Taos or Durango?
- 25 Driving from Seattle to San Fran