We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Which neighborhood to stay in that's convenient to Broadway shows?
- 2 Ft. Myers, Fl airport rental agencies
- 3 Comedy clubs NYC
- 4 NYC Comedy Clubs?
- 5 Best place to stay for Canyon de Chelly
- 6 New York City-New Things?
- 7 Feedback needed for our book club trip to New England
- 8 Camping Generator!?
- 9 Which 2 islands to visit?
- 10 Fun girls' weekend in San Antonio - recommendations?
- 11 Best restaurants in Seattle
- 12 Alaska Trip Planning
- 13 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 14 Washington Monument Reservtions and timing ~ plus Paddleboats
- 15 Things to do in La Jolla
- 16 Northern California for 7 days in May
- 17 Traffic from Wine Country to SFO on weekday
- 18 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 19 Need recommendations for a restaurant in Rochester, NY!
- 20 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 21 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 22 Driving from RI to NB, Best Place to Overnight in Maine?
- 23 Does the Warner Brothers Tour (Burbank) actually sell out?
- 24 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 25 Finger Lakes itineray suggestions?