We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Nets vs Bulls (All Access) Middle Sideline Tickets for Listing
- 2 Acoma vs. Taos Pueblos
- 3 Washington and oregon help with itinerary
- 4 DC - WW2 flyover
- 5 Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon
- 6 Cumberland Island and Surrounding Area
- 7 Cape cod and Acadia
- 8 Have you ever heard of a place called Page, Arz?
- 9 SC/GA/FL Coastal City Questions & Insect Issues
- 10 Minneapolis hotel - special occasion
- 11 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 12 Colorado trip
- 13 First visit in New Mexico
- 14 Business trip SFO - LAX and Standard Hotel
- 15 Zion Shuttle Bus Info
- 16 Maine in latter half of September
- 17 Grand Marais?
- 18 Mukilteo to Whidbey Is. via Deception Pass & a ferry return??
- 19 D.C. restaurants for families.
- 20 roast beef dinner in Manhattan
- 21 10 day Northern California Itinerary
- 22 Where is the best shrimp on Oahu
- 23 Seattle to LA (or not).
- 24 Cross country back roads from Ortonville MN to Las Cruces NM
- 25 trip outside of San Francisco with kids