We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 trip from Memphis, TN to San Antonio, TX
- 2 Chicago - Girl Scout Itinerary
- 3 from Moab to Bryce
- 4 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 5 Vegas in mid may
- 6 Broadway show suggestions April 22 or 23
- 7 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 8 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 9 Where to eat in & around San Diego
- 10 Taxi from LGA to midtown, best route
- 11 Chicago to New England Road trip
- 12 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 13 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 14 Maui with tweens/teens - looking for activities
- 15 A short stay in LA...Trip Report
- 16 Charleston, SC 5 days
- 17 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 18 2 weeks in California++ in April - Need suggestions on itinerary
- 19 Phoenix/Tucson Airport Shuttles
- 20 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 21 Hana from the aiport
- 22 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 23 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 24 condo in Florida for 2016?
- 25 Driving Seattle to Lethbridge