We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco to LA or LA to San Francisco ?!?
- 2 Last minute Vacation with adult children
- 3 Nice Dinner near Los Tapatios Hilton in Phoenix, (11111 NORTH 7TH STREET)
- 4 Thanksgiving trip to Zion, Bryce, Antelope Canyon
- 5 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!
- 6 Theater Historians
- 7 Air Connections on Maui
- 8 Driving around Grand Canyon NP?
- 9 Nashville TN to Newark NJ
- 10 Black Hills Trip Report
- 11 USA trip
- 12 Sonoma or napa?
- 13 Ideas for short driving tour around Washington DC, please
- 14 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 15 Ski Season Underway in Colorado
- 16 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 17 Broadway Fall and Winter 2014/15
- 18 Las vegas-Zion-Bryce-Antelope
- 19 DiBruno Brothers - what should I buy?
- 20 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 21 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 22 camaro hire in waikiki
- 23 Orlando for Work
- 24 sleepy hollow NY......what to do????
- 25 How to dress in Vegas