We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best car to rent for driving around Oahu and Maui
- 2 Hawaiian Islands
- 3 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton Road Trip
- 4 Albuquerque to Las Vegas
- 5 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 6 Sedona & Grand Canyon - 1 week trip from Phoenix
- 7 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 8 Advice on Roadtrip
- 9 Cabin in Asheville area
- 10 Old Town Alexandria Restaurants?
- 11 zion, Bryce,grand canyon
- 12 Seattle Transportation??
- 13 Denver, Colorado to Grand Canyon, Arizona Summer Trip
- 14 LA with 12-year old granddaughter
- 15 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 16 San Juan Islands... cruise question
- 17 Mendocino - Sonoma
- 18 Car Rental - NYC help me figure out logistics
- 19 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 20 Zion the narrows
- 21 Dessert with a view in Monterey?
- 22 Another Perfect Visit to Paradise: Kauai
- 23 Hanging Lake Hike (CO) with Kids?
- 24 Specific Hotel & Activity Help Seattle - Sheraton or Switch?
- 25 New England Family Trip - August