We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
View all United States activity »
- 1 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 2 Seniors need help with itinerary for grandkids!
- 3 Creating restaurant list for San Francisco - new ones??
- 4 Warm and don't Drive
- 5 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 6 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 7 Train from Boston to Rockport?
- 8 San Diego Desert Trip in January
- 9 Rockport, MA dining?
- 10 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 11 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 12 Princeville in January
- 13 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 14 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 15 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 16 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 17 Roads Open to Estes Park
- 18 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 19 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 20 RIP Judy Rogers
- 21 No high rises, low key natural area with water access in SW Fla
- 22 BASEBALL SPRING TRAINING-SCOTTSDALE
- 23 First time to Austin-San Antonio area
- 24 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 25 hotel near Met NYC