We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 2 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 3 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 4 Road trip Houston to DC- where should we stop?
- 5 Essential Information About Travel Insurance
- 6 Will have five days in Savannah
- 7 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 8 Road Trip SW
- 9 May visit to Denali
- 10 Help me o plan a trip from Calary to US
- 11 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 12 moving to florida
- 13 Chicago trip
- 14 culpepper
- 15 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 16 Day trip to CT from NYC
- 17 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 18 Boston to Chicago drive (things to do)
- 19 Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
- 20 Santa Barbara, California
- 21 Chicago coffee shop/breakfast
- 22 Itinerary opinions
- 23 San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations
- 24 Yosemite Fire -Contingency Plan
- 25 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?