We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 2 USA with a 3 year old
- 3 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 4 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 5 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 6 First family ski trip
- 7 Arizona road trip any changes?
- 8 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 9 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 10 NYC theatre broadway
- 11 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 12 Universal studios/Orlando
- 13 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations
- 14 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 15 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 16 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 17 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver
- 18 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 19 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 20 Über, peer sharing sites, and insurance
- 21 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 22 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 23 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 24 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 25 Accomodations in Seattle for 15