We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
- 1 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 2 Back to the Lovely City!!
- 3 Using public transit in San Diego
- 4 Washington Wineries
- 5 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 6 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 7 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 8 10 day anniversary trip to Oregon Coast
- 9 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 10 Exciting historical sites in upstate NY
- 11 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 12 Hill-Crest "Museum"
- 13 Suggestions for NYC trip next week
- 14 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 15 Memphis Tours
- 16 Please critique our plan...
- 17 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 18 Gearhart Oregon
- 19 Seattle to coast to columbia River Gorge
- 20 J-ville airport ground transportation
- 21 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 22 California, Northern
- 23 Seattle Hotel Choice and Other Questions
- 24 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 25 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California