We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 2 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 3 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 4 Connecticut River Byway
- 5 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 6 Boston/Salem with kids
- 7 San Diego farmer's markets
- 8 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 9 Ogunquit Family Get Together
- 10 Is Lanai worth a day trip from Maui?
- 11 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 12 Road Trip SW
- 13 Honeymoon/road trip/adventure/help!
- 14 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 15 car rental from denver airport and shuttle question
- 16 The Seedy Side of Key West
- 17 Vacation trip to Portland, OR,
- 18 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 19 Vacation with 1 year old - ideas?
- 20 drive from SF to crater lake
- 21 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 22 moving to florida
- 23 Trip Report - Jersey Shore, Cherry Hill, Philly, back to the roots...
- 24 Hotel near Miami airport
- 25 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?