My husband has finally retired and we are ready for our much anticipated cross country trip. We plan on being gone 30-35 days and will be staying mostly in hotels, but doing a little truck camping along the way also. We would like to see several of the National Parks along the way as we love to view wildlife and beautiful scenery. We will be leaving northern NY the beginning of September and our first major stops along the way will include the Badlands and Black Hills area of South Dakota, Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, then up to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Utah, Yosemite, the Pacific Coast Hwy., (and, of course, Disneyland!) Las Vegas, and then onto Arizona to see the Grand Canyon. We have toured most of the east coast states so we would like to have the final leg of our trip include driving through the Nashville TN area, then into Lexington, Kentucky to view some horse ranches. We want to spend two days in Ohio in Amish country before heading home. Any suggestions and "must see" things along the way would be so appreciated. For example, what else should we see in Northern Colorado and what route is best from there to Yellowstone? What's the most scenic route from Utah to Yosemite? We will probably only do this once and I am afraid I am missing some important things by focusing so much on the National Parks. Thank you so much for any input!
Cross country New York to California
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 2 Kennebunkport and....?
- 3 Jersey City Parking
- 4 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast
- 5 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 6 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 7 Travel West Coast
- 8 Cute towns in VIrginia for boutique shopping and restaurants
- 9 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 10 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 11 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 12 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 13 Colorado in the summer!
- 14 Where to go in Maine?
- 15 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 16 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 17 New York City Restaurants
- 18 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 19 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 20 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 21 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 22 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 23 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 24 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 25 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah