Hi there --
My husband and I (and our two young children) are planning a 2.5 week trip to Oregon. We haven't yet decided whether we're going to travel in June or August. We'd prefer to travel in June because the crowds will be much less and the timing just simply works better for our family. But Crater Lake seems like a must-see and we definitely want to include it in our travel plans (we'd also like to include time on the coast, in Portland and the Columbia Gorge).
In the hopes that June travel dates will work, I have a few questions about Crater Lake. If we travel in June, we'll likely travel from June 10th-June 26th. We'd plan to visit Crater Lake close to the end of our trip (read: June 22nd or 23rd). From what I've read, it sounds like the "East Rim Drive" will still be closed due to snow. But there seems to be some suggestion that the "West Rim Drive" usually opens in mid-June (I'm actually surprised that I can't locate more information about east vs. west!). So! Here are my questions:
- What is the difference between the West Rim and East Rim Drives?
- Is it fairly certain that the West Rim Drive will be open by late-June?
- Is it worth the drive to Crater Lake if we can only do the West Rim drive (or is it seriously worth postponing our entire trip to August in order to be able to do the East Rim drive too)? [I should add here that while my husband and I are avid hikers, with the two (very) young kids, we'll likely be limited to the car in any event, so the inability to hike in June doesn't make a difference here]
- if we do decide to postpone our trip to August, will the crowds at Crater Lake be crazy? I should add here that we really do love solitude during our travels and so if there is enough to see (i.e. some beautiful scenic views) in June, we'd likely prefer that...
This will be our first true trip since our second son was born and we're VERY excited! I've been quite active on fodors' forums in the distant past, but haven't been in a while... I can't wait to hear back with responses from all of you "Oregon experts"! Thanks in advance...
Crater Lake, OR -- West vs. East Rim Drive? June or August?
Hi there --
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pearl Harbour Visit Hawaii
- 2 Cajun Country, first visit, late December, please help
- 3 Door County with a Dog - trip in progress
- 4 New England Newbie - Help with 13 night itinerary - October
- 5 getting around DC
- 6 Overnight stops from NJ to Florida?
- 7 Driving From NE Tennessee to NYC -- Where to Stop?
- 8 Winter/Spring Trip Ideas from Ohio
- 9 Family trip to New Orleans . . . Suggestions???
- 10 Sights and Restaurants in Brooklyn
- 11 Can you see Oak Alley Plantation from the road?
- 12 Looking For Warm Vacation Spot for December in US With 16 Months Old
- 13 East Coast Road Trip In Late January
- 14 California
- 15 Oahu
- 16 Glacier NP & Yellowstone NP 8 day trip Itinerary
- 17 Activities in Maui and Kauai.....Please Help!
- 18 Portland, OR to Crater Lake to Portland- most scenic route
- 19 San Antonio GTG 21 September 2014
- 20 Vermont trip report - photos and captions
- 21 Oregon Scenic Road Trip from Crater Lake to Portland, Oregon
- 22 Going to Grand Canyon North Rim 2 days, then Bryce (or Zion)
- 23 LA to SF via Yosemite- help with itinerary
- 24 What time is it?
- 25 Las vegas and Grand canyon trip with parents ( 4 days)