Hi all --
My family and I will be visiting Crater Lake for part of a day at the very beginning of August. We'll have our two young kids with us, which means that we'll likely be limiting our trip to the Rim Drive with stops for some beautiful photos. We'll be staying the night before at the Steamboat Inn along highway 138. What we're wondering is: what is the best time of day to do the Rim Drive (in August)? We love photography and we usually find that early morning light is best for photography. Is this true at Crater Lake as well? Or is there another time of day that is better for the colour of the water, etc.?
We're trying to plan our days and we're wondering whether we should hike to/see Toketee Falls the day before (and then head back to the Steamboat) or whether we should stop at Toketee on the way to Crater Lake (since it's on the way). So for example, if we hear that the best time of day to see Crater Lake is first thing in the morning, then we'll hike Toketee the day before and wake early in the morning to reach Crater Lake as early as we can.
Thoughts would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Visiting Oregon - Portland to Crater Lake
- 2 Yellowstone and Tetons in July 2016
- 3 Thinking of moving FROM Pittsburgh TO Seattle
- 4 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 5 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 6 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 7 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 8 September trip Portland/Seattle
- 9 Attending a wedding on Nantucket !
- 10 Road trip: Boston to Salt Lake City
- 11 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
- 12 Boston waterfront Italian
- 13 Recommendation: Beachfront in VA or MD walking distance to quaint downtown
- 14 Last minute Maine/New Hampshire trip
- 15 where to stop on the way from Montreal to Acadia
- 16 Kids Vacation Place
- 17 Another Key West Trip Report, July 3 - 9, 2016
- 18 Napa valley getaway
- 19 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 20 Day in Spokane
- 21 Marriott or Sheraton in Orlando?
- 22 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 23 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 24 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 25 Desert Southwest
Hi all --