Hi all --
My family and I will be visiting Crater Lake for part of a day at the very beginning of August. We'll have our two young kids with us, which means that we'll likely be limiting our trip to the Rim Drive with stops for some beautiful photos. We'll be staying the night before at the Steamboat Inn along highway 138. What we're wondering is: what is the best time of day to do the Rim Drive (in August)? We love photography and we usually find that early morning light is best for photography. Is this true at Crater Lake as well? Or is there another time of day that is better for the colour of the water, etc.?
We're trying to plan our days and we're wondering whether we should hike to/see Toketee Falls the day before (and then head back to the Steamboat) or whether we should stop at Toketee on the way to Crater Lake (since it's on the way). So for example, if we hear that the best time of day to see Crater Lake is first thing in the morning, then we'll hike Toketee the day before and wake early in the morning to reach Crater Lake as early as we can.
Thoughts would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 2 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 3 Ideas for New York
- 4 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 5 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 6 Oahu Dec 17th -22nd 2016
- 7 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 8 Kauai for a group over New Years
- 9 Three relaxing weeks in Palm Springs
- 10 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 11 Where to stay in maui Kihei vs Paia vs Wailea vs Lahaina, Kaanapali
- 12 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 13 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 14 New York in December
- 15 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 16 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 17 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 18 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 19 Staying outside DC
- 20 Dallas, Austin, Waco in February
- 21 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 22 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!
- 23 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 24 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 25 9 days in Olympic NP and Seattle area
Hi all --