Hi all --
My family and I will be visiting Crater Lake for part of a day at the very beginning of August. We'll have our two young kids with us, which means that we'll likely be limiting our trip to the Rim Drive with stops for some beautiful photos. We'll be staying the night before at the Steamboat Inn along highway 138. What we're wondering is: what is the best time of day to do the Rim Drive (in August)? We love photography and we usually find that early morning light is best for photography. Is this true at Crater Lake as well? Or is there another time of day that is better for the colour of the water, etc.?
We're trying to plan our days and we're wondering whether we should hike to/see Toketee Falls the day before (and then head back to the Steamboat) or whether we should stop at Toketee on the way to Crater Lake (since it's on the way). So for example, if we hear that the best time of day to see Crater Lake is first thing in the morning, then we'll hike Toketee the day before and wake early in the morning to reach Crater Lake as early as we can.
Thoughts would be appreciated!
Crater Lake, OR - Best Time of Day?
Hi all --
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Portland Maine Hotels
- 2 San Diego parks and attractions
- 3 Help choosing Chicago hotel
- 4 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 5 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 6 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 7 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 8 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 9 united and carry-ons
- 10 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 11 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 12 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 13 Cape Cod in early April
- 14 USA with a 3 year old
- 15 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 16 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 17 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 18 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 19 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 20 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 21 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 22 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 23 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 24 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 25 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?