First time post here, please be kind.
Visiting NYC Dec. 21 – 28 with husband and two teens, 17 and 15 yrs. Hotel is on Park Ave at 61st. First time visit for the kids. We’ve started making theatre reservations and have made up a wish list of things we need to do. We could use your expert advice on making realistic schedules.
On our wish list:
1. Empire State Building (I’ve read about the Top of the Rock, but kids need to see the ESB)
2. Metropolitan Museum
4. Grand Central Terminal
5. Christmas Store Displays
6. Explore Greenwich Village
7. Rockefeller Center (skaters, angels, tree)
8. St. Patrick’s
9. World Trade Center Site
10. Times Square
11. Fifth Avenue
12. Central Park – Strawberry Fields, Dakota Apt.
13. Guggenheim **
14. Chinatown **
15. Tiffany’s ** (But for me, it’s a must-see, even if it’s just window shopping. It’s Tiffany’s!!!)
** - Not a priority, if there’s no time
Question: What is a realistic amount of time to spend at Grand Central Terminal? I went on the website and got all excited when I saw the ff: Neuhaus, Penzey’s, the Oyster Bar, Murray’s Cheese, etc. Is a tour necessary?
So far, this is what we have:
Dec. 21, Monday.
5 pm – Arriving at La Guardia. Taking cab to hotel. Having dinner at Upper East Side hosted by family.
8:30 – 2:30 – Taking private tour with driver/tour guide. It’s a stay-in-the-car-and-make-quick-stops type of tour. We can stop, take pictures, shop, eat (but the meter is running so we can’t nosh all day). The tour guide can pretty much do a customized tour based on what we’d like to see.
2:30 - ? We’re thinking maybe one of the museums, or maybe the Empire State Bldg?
It’s our 21st wedding anniversary and would like your recommendations on extra-special restaurants for dinner. Budget of $100/person, can be a little more if we can drop off the kids at the hotel where they can rest and order room service.
8 am – 5 pm. Open. Maybe a museum, Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller Center?
5 pm – 7:15 pm I read another thread regarding restaurant recommendations before watching Billy Eliott and on my list are: Scarlatto’s, Viceversa, Saju Bistro, Pomaire. What do you think also of West Bank Café and Etcetera Etcetera?
8 pm – Billy Eliott at Imperial Theatre
8 am – noon. Open
Any suggestions on places to eat before the
2:00 pm Radio City Music Hall show
4 pm – 7:00 pm Open
8 pm – dinner hosted by family
Morning is open. We’re thinking of attending mass at St. Patrick’s.
12 noon – New York Knicks/Miami Heat (Note: not yet final, because not sure if we’re doing this. 15 yr. old son really wants to go.)
5 pm. Dinner hosted by relatives.
8 am – Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island/ got reservations for Crown Access
What is a realistic time for this morning activity?
Afternoon – open
8 pm - Hair at Al Hirschfield Theatre
Any recommendations for pre-theatre dinner in the area?
Morning – open
11 am – 2 pm Greenwich Village Food Tour
We’re exploring the Village the rest of the afternoon. Is there any nice place here you can recommend for our final dinner in NYC, or we can head back to the hotel if there are places you can recommend in the Park Ave/61st vicinity?
All day – open.
8 pm – Flight home (La Guardia).
We’re checking out before we head out in the morning and will just be back to collect our bags before taking a cab to La Guardia. Considering the traffic at this time of the day, when should we plan on leaving the hotel to make it to the airport in time?
Are we missing any “MUST SEE” attractions?
I was hoping to see the Nutcracker but is there any time for this, considering all the places on our wish list?
Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 2 How many states have you been to?
- 3 Chicago to Charleston
- 4 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 5 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 6 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 7 Honeymoon out west.
- 8 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 9 USA, Trip to the south
- 10 Comment Needed: 22 Days - West Cost (California & LV)
- 11 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 12 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 13 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 14 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 15 Retiring to Tucson
- 16 Trip Report: Charleston, Vero Beach, Beaufort
- 17 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 18 SD card usage in multiple devices and formatting
- 19 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 20 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 21 Big Sure in June
- 22 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 23 Santa Fe Itineray
- 24 Roadtrip July 2017
- 25 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
First time post here, please be kind.