I am considering jobs and these two cities are strong contenders as possibilities. The real unknown for me is Chicago. I have already been to Philly and really like the Center City area. (Philly has more going for it, such
What am I looking for? Good public transportation (i.e., don't need a car), vibrant urban center, ethnic diversity (i.e., decent size Chinatown, Latin American community, queer community), open-mindedness toward differences, great restaurants, people-watching and cultural opportunities. Philly from what I've seen has enough of what I'm looking for to keep me happy. To give you an idea, I also love NYC, Boston and to a degree DC, Montreal and Toronto in Canada, and a number of European cities like Paris, London and Brussels...These cities though are quite expensive, so Philadelphia and (possibly) Chicago have seemed like better options.
So I want to hear opinions and comparisons from people who've travelled to both, maybe if I'm lucky, have lived in both. Yes, I realize this is not a relocation forum (hi BJ) but I think some of my queries may interest potential travellers also. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those who LIKE (or at least appreciate aspects of) Philadelphia already, since I know that I do appreciate the vitality of that city.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Phantom of the Opera Row H Seats 101-102 thoughts?
- 2 Layover
- 3 cincinnati with kids
- 4 Seattle?
- 5 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 6 Pacific Northwest Trip - Mother/Daughter
- 7 Parking a Ford Transit Passenger Van NYC
- 8 Luxury Mountain Resort in PA or WV for sightseeing
- 9 driving from Atlanta to Denver
- 10 Cape Cod Biking & Lodging
- 11 SF Area - Fall Family Trip
- 12 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 13 December Vacation in Florida by Beach
- 14 First Trip to New Mexico
- 15 Where to Stay Northern New Mexico in November
- 16 Big Bend, McDonald Observatory, San Antonio and Austin in January
- 17 Airport Advice for GNP
- 18 Day trips from Boston
- 19 2 weeks in Alaska with kids
- 20 San Diego Sunset or La Jolla
- 21 November redwoods trip
- 22 Washington visit...perhaps relocate
- 23 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 24 new orleans french quarter hotels for "the ladies"
- 25 Southern history- walkable cities