I am considering jobs and these two cities are strong contenders as possibilities. The real unknown for me is Chicago. I have already been to Philly and really like the Center City area. (Philly has more going for it, such
What am I looking for? Good public transportation (i.e., don't need a car), vibrant urban center, ethnic diversity (i.e., decent size Chinatown, Latin American community, queer community), open-mindedness toward differences, great restaurants, people-watching and cultural opportunities. Philly from what I've seen has enough of what I'm looking for to keep me happy. To give you an idea, I also love NYC, Boston and to a degree DC, Montreal and Toronto in Canada, and a number of European cities like Paris, London and Brussels...These cities though are quite expensive, so Philadelphia and (possibly) Chicago have seemed like better options.
So I want to hear opinions and comparisons from people who've travelled to both, maybe if I'm lucky, have lived in both. Yes, I realize this is not a relocation forum (hi BJ) but I think some of my queries may interest potential travellers also. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those who LIKE (or at least appreciate aspects of) Philadelphia already, since I know that I do appreciate the vitality of that city.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Favorite restaurants in Savannah
- 2 Tour dan Transport service di Bali
- 3 Alaska trip rough Itinerary for Sep 2017
- 4 I continue to be stumped by amtrak...advice?
- 5 Where to go: Dallas-Austin-Houston-San Antonio
- 6 Trip to Palm Springs and San Diego
- 7 Sacramento Hotel
- 8 USA family tour
- 9 Feinsteins 54 Below
- 10 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 11 Philly Itinerary Help
- 12 4 days road trip southern New England
- 13 How to spend a few days in mid June near Oakland
- 14 Boston Restaurant suggestion
- 15 Road Trip Florida to Maine
- 16 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 17 California Coast Road Trip Itinerary Help
- 18 Overnight between Moab and Grand Canyon village
- 19 Driving Hwy 12 from Missoula Mr ro Walla Walla WA
- 20 Little Bighorn, beartooth, Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson hole, Cody
- 21 Quick trip to Poughkeepsie area
- 22 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 23 Hawaiian Honeymoon - Hotel Advice
- 24 Sky Harbor to Tucson shuttle
- 25 Los Angeles area wildflower viewing?