I am considering jobs and these two cities are strong contenders as possibilities. The real unknown for me is Chicago. I have already been to Philly and really like the Center City area. (Philly has more going for it, such
What am I looking for? Good public transportation (i.e., don't need a car), vibrant urban center, ethnic diversity (i.e., decent size Chinatown, Latin American community, queer community), open-mindedness toward differences, great restaurants, people-watching and cultural opportunities. Philly from what I've seen has enough of what I'm looking for to keep me happy. To give you an idea, I also love NYC, Boston and to a degree DC, Montreal and Toronto in Canada, and a number of European cities like Paris, London and Brussels...These cities though are quite expensive, so Philadelphia and (possibly) Chicago have seemed like better options.
So I want to hear opinions and comparisons from people who've travelled to both, maybe if I'm lucky, have lived in both. Yes, I realize this is not a relocation forum (hi BJ) but I think some of my queries may interest potential travellers also. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those who LIKE (or at least appreciate aspects of) Philadelphia already, since I know that I do appreciate the vitality of that city.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 SF with school-age kids -- too much to choose!
- 2 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 3 Going from Savanah to thru Smokey Mountains and to the Blue Ridge
- 4 NYC bus tour suggestions
- 5 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 6 DC restaurant report
- 7 My parents planned a vacation for me without asking.
- 8 national park during thanksgiving
- 9 HELP! Solo road trip - the Deep south - Hints & Tips needed!
- 10 DC Tours, Washington, DC
- 11 RV Round Trip VA-CO Summertime
- 12 December trip to see snow
- 13 Northern California Redwoods
- 14 trip repor 5th-8th October
- 15 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 16 Visiting for a conference - where to stay (near stadiums) and sightseeing?
- 17 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 18 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 19 Philadelphia - Safe?
- 20 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 21 Last minute trip to Arizona
- 22 S/F Yosemite Trip next August
- 23 Key West
- 24 Baltimore restaurant rant
- 25 Travelling from NYC to Washington Depot