Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Myrtle Beach
- 2 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 3 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 4 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 5 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 6 Colorado in the summer!
- 7 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 8 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 9 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 10 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 11 Washington DC Metro
- 12 Houseboat on Lake Powell
- 13 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 14 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 15 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 16 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 17 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 18 Travel West Coast
- 19 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 20 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 21 Wine Country Picnic
- 22 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 23 Road trip through the south
- 24 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 25 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?