Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 General Utah planning questions
- 2 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 3 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 4 New York City Christmas Trip
- 5 Dining in Manhattan
- 6 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 7 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 8 Cafe Sevilla – Best Tapas Restaurant
- 9 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 10 From Seattle airport to the city
- 11 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 12 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 13 Colorado Skiing
- 14 American Honeymoon in March
- 15 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 16 Craft Beer & Delicious Food in Vegas
- 17 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 18 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 19 golf and fishing recommendations in Tampa area
- 20 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 21 Northern West Coast Road Trip
- 22 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 23 To San Francisco for 8 days
- 24 Middle America in October
- 25 visit to HIghLine