Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 2 December Break Need Recommendations for Southern Travel
- 3 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 4 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 5 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 6 Mesa Verde
- 7 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 8 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 9 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 10 ONP help
- 11 NYC Clubs for live music
- 12 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 13 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 14 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 15 Beachfront house rental - Fort Walton Beach/ Destin area
- 16 Seattle Hyatts
- 17 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city
- 18 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 19 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 20 Coastal New England Road trip
- 21 Seattle: Something Different?
- 22 Bienville Hotel or Le Marais in New Orleans French Quarter
- 23 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 24 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 25 Park City ideas