Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alaska cruise and land
- 2 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 3 Little Bighorn Battlefield & Yellowstone
- 4 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 5 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 6 Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Death Valley
- 7 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 8 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 9 NYC taxi vs car service
- 10 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 11 rain in Kauai
- 12 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 13 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 14 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 15 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 16 WISCONSIN
- 17 Wedding in Hawaii
- 18 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 19 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 20 Shuttle Recommendations - Penn Station to JFK
- 21 Cabins less than one hour Rabun County Georgia in NC
- 22 Yellowstone and Grand Tetons Sept - Itinerary/Lodging Decisions
- 23 San Fransisco to LA
- 24 Where to go in Maine?
- 25 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?