Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Visiting Kauai...NEXT week!!
- 2 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 3 Lead in me in the right direction for our first Hawaii trip
- 4 Please help us find a wonderful boutique hotel in the western U.S.
- 5 beach chair and umbrella rentals in carmel?
- 6 CLT connection times, Charlotte
- 7 Grand Circle Trip from Ohio
- 8 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 9 Venice, CA area
- 10 Avis or Budget from LAX
- 11 Las Vegas in February - hotel recommendations please
- 12 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 13 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 14 Hotel Picks - Kauai
- 15 Looking for areas to live? Commuting to Palo Alto
- 16 Visiting Kauai...NEXT WEEK!!
- 17 Short warm weather family vacation in January or February
- 18 Rhode Island Get Away
- 19 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 20 Vancouver to Washington State
- 21 San Diego with teens in Februsry
- 22 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 23 Glacier National Park 2018
- 24 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 25 Adirondacks trip repot
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos