Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best, most beautiful, unmissable sections of highway 1 on the CA coast
- 2 New York Trip
- 3 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide
- 4 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 5 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 6 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 7 America's Quirkiest Towns -- Is that a good thing?
- 8 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 9 Chicago - Walk? Cab? Bus? From Soldier Field...
- 10 Balloon fest hotels
- 11 Newport, RI - What's it like?
- 12 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 13 San Antonio suggestions anyone?
- 14 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 15 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 16 Please help with daily details for Utah Park trip next month!
- 17 Transportation help in Philly
- 18 Orlando-off-the-beaten-track
- 19 Through Yellowstone to the OTO dude ranch
- 20 Hotels in North Philadelphia
- 21 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 22 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 23 Suggested Itinerary for Grand Canyon and Utah National Parks in two weeks
- 24 palm desert, CA
- 25 late-night DC restaurant