Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Farewell from Ira
- 2 Driving from Austin to San Francisco
- 3 Once again, another great trip to DC (August 23-30)
- 4 San Diego July 2016 - an FYI
- 5 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 6 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 7 Long weekend in New Orleans
- 8 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 9 Driving Trip to Idaho
- 10 Finding the right moving company. (Calgary to Seattle!)
- 11 orlando need a car?
- 12 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley
- 13 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 14 Overnight tour from New York to see Washington, D.C.
- 15 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 16 Oklahoma - Dallas - Houston - New Orleans - Orlando
- 17 chicago to hibbing
- 18 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 19 Return from Bradenton FL back to New Haven CT
- 20 2 months road trip out west - need one way renting mini RV
- 21 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 22 Pix from Paradise (the Big Island, Kauai & Maui)
- 23 Fun family adventures in/around Charleston?
- 24 Cape Cod - around Sandwich
- 25 Historial/Culture-filled restaurants in Savannah, and Atlanta!
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos