Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 2 Best Destination in USA
- 3 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 4 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 5 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 6 Dinner stop between Boston and Bradley Airport in CT (Windsor)
- 7 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 8 x mas
- 9 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 10 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 11 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 12 Last Minute NYE Trip to DC - Fancy Tea? Other special ideas...Wanted
- 13 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 14 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 15 US 101 closed N of Florence
- 16 FLORIDA CONDO--seeking general advice
- 17 Deep South roadtrip, 3 weeks, 2 more Brits needing your help!
- 18 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 19 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?
- 20 Choosing best Seats Radio City
- 21 New Orleans help please
- 22 Better cooking store in Seattle
- 23 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 24 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 25 los angeles restaurants