Pictures of short trip with my nephew. First pics are hike to Guadalupe Peak This is the highest point in Texas. It was an 8 mile hike with an elevation gain of 2015ft. It was 105 when we were finished with the hike. Tough hike.
We also did The Big Room, Natural Entrance at Carlsbad. The highlight of the trip was doing two wild cave tours. These lasted 4 hours each and involved a lot of crawling. We did Hall of the White Giants and Spider Cave. Only 8 people per week are allowed in this area of the cave. So, reserve 6 months ahead of time. This is pretty serious caving. You must be 12 years old to participate. These are the last photos and I took them with a disposable camera.
You aren't allowed to photograph the bats. The bats are almost non-existent this year. We saw 500,000 4 years ago. This time only about 1000. They have such a drought there that there are no bugs, so nothing for the bats to eat. The park(carlsbad) burned up the day we left. It was closed for a few days after we left. I'm not sure what it would look like now. It's a good thing that the prime reason to go is all underground.
We also did some sledding at White Sands National Monument and visited the missle base.
A few pictures in the cave we were trying double exposures, so that isn't a ghost or two headed people you are seeing.
Carlsbad/Guadalupe National Park/White Sands Photos
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Daytona Beach and ??
- 2 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 3 First visit in New Mexico
- 4 Maine in latter half of September
- 5 Acoma vs. Taos Pueblos
- 6 Full moon night in Mansarovar Lake on 02 June 2015 (Purnima)
- 7 WEST YELLOWSTONE TO GLACIER NP?
- 8 Hotels near beach orange county
- 9 Coronado Ferry
- 10 trip outside of San Francisco with kids
- 11 Hotel Recommendations For Rapid City, SD?
- 12 Have you ever heard of a place called Page, Arz?
- 13 Washington and oregon help with itinerary
- 14 Colorado trip in early May
- 15 Zion Shuttle Bus Info
- 16 Grand Marais?
- 17 8 day honeymoon around Leavenworth and Seattle
- 18 Seattle hotels
- 19 Seattle in April
- 20 Seattle Visit April
- 21 Seattle to LA (or not).
- 22 Italian cookies in Minneapolis area
- 23 Unique but reasonable restaurants in Las Vegas
- 24 SC/GA/FL Coastal City Questions & Insect Issues
- 25 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report