United States Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

View all United States activity »
  1. 1 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
  2. 2 Wilmington DE questions
  3. 3 Best options for viewing, learning about lava flows on Big Island?
  4. 4 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
  5. 5 Road Trip Travel Advice - 2 Days or 3?
  6. 6 Planning our Move
  7. 7 Need tips for 14 day alaska trip Please help!
  8. 8 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii??
  9. 9 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
  10. 10 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens
  11. 11 Sperry chalet destroyed by fire
  12. 12 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
  13. 13 Best Marriott options NYC using Marriott points
  14. 14 9 day family New England Trip October - Advice
  15. 15 Hotel advise Chicago
  16. 16 Maui and Kauai
  17. 17 Santa Fe and Taos in November
  18. 18 Getting from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle
  19. 19 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
  20. 20 Good gift for my father who loves to travel
  21. 21 affordable SF hotels convenient to art museums
  22. 22 Trip to Cali
  23. 23 NYC Hotel Decision
  24. 24 NFL tickets
  25. 25 Grand Canyon Rim to Rim
View next 25 » Back to the top

Can't decide on California Itinerary

Jump to last reply

I posted a question last week asking for some advice on Lake Tahoe in mid/late May. To recap, my husband and I have plans to travel to San Francisco and Tahoe in mid-late May. Plane tickets (direct, woo hoo!) into SFO have already been purchased; I'm about to reserve a VRBO property in the city; and I've already reserved a hotel in Tahoe Vista. After booking the trip, I started to have some reservations about Tahoe that time of year. I admittedly didn't fully consider whether the hiking trails would be passable by then, as well as the risk of snow (and bad roads) that time of year. I think the consensus was that there will likely be some trails to hike but that there obviously is no guarantee of anything that time of year. I can (mostly) live with that.

But I did think it wise to have a Plan B in my back pocket. So, I started looking at the areas north of the city, e.g., Point Reyes, Mill Valley, Mendoncino, Gualala, and points further north, including Humboldt County and Redwoods National Park. I'd also include Sonoma County in that list, e.g., Healdsburg. Well, gosh, there's just so much to see and do! Given the weather/climate issues in Tahoe, I started wondering if Plan B should be Plan A. Then I started to wonder whether we really even want to spent four days in the city. I've been there; he hasn't, but if we're being honest with one another, we have the most fun and the least stress when we're outside big urban environments. We mostly enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking and the like.

I'm not even sure what advice I'm looking for. Short of Tahoe being a complete bust because of a really bad winter and/or bad weather, I don't know that we can go too wrong, but if anybody has any experiences in any of these areas--positive or negative--I'd love to hear them. I will say that if we scrap Tahoe, the trip will likely become more expensive because or lodging there was super inexpensive compared to the places we'd be likely to stay on the coast. But that, in and of itself, isn't a deal breaker. If we stick with the city/Tahoe as Plan A, is it exceedingly difficult to find lodging on the coast that time of year if we end up having to go with Plan B at the last minute? Thanks for any insight you can offer.

14 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.

Advertisement