Im heading to California late Aug. Im going with my 2 sons age 15 and 12. We would like to arrive on a Tues and leave the following Thursday. Im flying into LA and then heading North to San Francisco. (Im severly afraid of heights, so Im doing south to north, my husband is not coming to do the driving) First, do you think I should go the week leading up to labor day and leave before the holiday or go the week of into Sept. School starts later in NY than California, so things may be a bit cheaper. We definitely want to do touristy stuff, especially in LA. Must dos: Star Tour, Chinese Theater, Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive, Huntington Beach. This is where Im getting confused and overewhelmed. Everything Ive been reading on here is basically North to South. I want to stop at Hearst Castle and Big Sur before San Francisco. I want to leave LA very early and Head to Hearst Castle. Do I stay over night there and head out next morning to Big Sur. I would like to spend a day at Big Sur sleep there (Need inexpensive clean safe hotels for these places) Car rental is killing me because of different drop off. I was thinking of keeping the car the first day in San Francisco just to go to Muir Forest. Then return. Can I get away without a car there. We want to do Alactraz, Lombardi Street, Fishermans Wharf, Chinatown. Are these things accessible without a car? Ok so here are the big questions: How many days would you spend in LA, Hearst Castle, Big Sur and then San Francisco. Its very hard to book hotels. Thank you so much for your help.
California South to North Car Rental Too
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 2 Paved bike path near Bryce Canyon, through Red Canyon
- 3 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 4 Help w road trip from Huntington Beach to SF, skipping LA area
- 5 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 6 Help on which island(s) for Scuba Divers
- 7 Washington/Oregon....trip ideas
- 8 Trip Report - Santa Monica, Dinosaur, Steamboat, and Telluride
- 9 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 10 Mesa Verde
- 11 New England in the fall
- 12 NYC Clubs for live music
- 13 relocating travel
- 14 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 15 Seattle Hyatts
- 16 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 17 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 18 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 19 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 20 Bar Harbor Maine to Boston
- 21 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 22 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 23 Help with Wisconsin Dells Trip Plan
- 24 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 25 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend