Im heading to California late Aug. Im going with my 2 sons age 15 and 12. We would like to arrive on a Tues and leave the following Thursday. Im flying into LA and then heading North to San Francisco. (Im severly afraid of heights, so Im doing south to north, my husband is not coming to do the driving) First, do you think I should go the week leading up to labor day and leave before the holiday or go the week of into Sept. School starts later in NY than California, so things may be a bit cheaper. We definitely want to do touristy stuff, especially in LA. Must dos: Star Tour, Chinese Theater, Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive, Huntington Beach. This is where Im getting confused and overewhelmed. Everything Ive been reading on here is basically North to South. I want to stop at Hearst Castle and Big Sur before San Francisco. I want to leave LA very early and Head to Hearst Castle. Do I stay over night there and head out next morning to Big Sur. I would like to spend a day at Big Sur sleep there (Need inexpensive clean safe hotels for these places) Car rental is killing me because of different drop off. I was thinking of keeping the car the first day in San Francisco just to go to Muir Forest. Then return. Can I get away without a car there. We want to do Alactraz, Lombardi Street, Fishermans Wharf, Chinatown. Are these things accessible without a car? Ok so here are the big questions: How many days would you spend in LA, Hearst Castle, Big Sur and then San Francisco. Its very hard to book hotels. Thank you so much for your help.
California South to North Car Rental Too
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 2 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 3 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 4 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 5 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 6 Colorado Trip in Late May 2014
- 7 Audio Driving Tour Big Island and Oahu
- 8 Book ahead for weekends this spring in Asheville, NC
- 9 Asheville NC without a car
- 10 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 11 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 12 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 13 Myrtle Beach
- 14 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 15 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 16 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 17 Colorado in the summer!
- 18 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 19 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 20 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 21 Washington DC Metro
- 22 Houseboat on Lake Powell
- 23 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 24 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 25 Alexandria or Georgetown