Im heading to California late Aug. Im going with my 2 sons age 15 and 12. We would like to arrive on a Tues and leave the following Thursday. Im flying into LA and then heading North to San Francisco. (Im severly afraid of heights, so Im doing south to north, my husband is not coming to do the driving) First, do you think I should go the week leading up to labor day and leave before the holiday or go the week of into Sept. School starts later in NY than California, so things may be a bit cheaper. We definitely want to do touristy stuff, especially in LA. Must dos: Star Tour, Chinese Theater, Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive, Huntington Beach. This is where Im getting confused and overewhelmed. Everything Ive been reading on here is basically North to South. I want to stop at Hearst Castle and Big Sur before San Francisco. I want to leave LA very early and Head to Hearst Castle. Do I stay over night there and head out next morning to Big Sur. I would like to spend a day at Big Sur sleep there (Need inexpensive clean safe hotels for these places) Car rental is killing me because of different drop off. I was thinking of keeping the car the first day in San Francisco just to go to Muir Forest. Then return. Can I get away without a car there. We want to do Alactraz, Lombardi Street, Fishermans Wharf, Chinatown. Are these things accessible without a car? Ok so here are the big questions: How many days would you spend in LA, Hearst Castle, Big Sur and then San Francisco. Its very hard to book hotels. Thank you so much for your help.
California South to North Car Rental Too
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 2 7 things to do under $21 in Las Vegas
- 3 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 4 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 5 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 6 Tipping advice
- 7 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 8 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 9 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 10 Cheapest, best to get from San Fran Airport to Hotel in Fina. District?
- 11 Boston to Ohio, with visits to FDR Home and Fallingwater
- 12 2 or 3 nights in Hana
- 13 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 14 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 15 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 16 West Maui Restaurants
- 17 San Diego Little Italy
- 18 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 19 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 20 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 21 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 22 Key West Hotel in January
- 23 Healdsburg tips
- 24 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 25 los angeles restaurants