Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC theatre broadway
- 2 Lunch somewhere between Arlington and Roanoke VA?
- 3 Laguna Beach, what to do
- 4 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 5 Planning family gathering in Sedona
- 6 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 7 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 8 Visiting Denver
- 9 Stony Point, NC to Richmond, VA and surrounding areas... help, please!
- 10 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 11 HELP WITH FALL TRIP PLAN!!
- 12 Where to eat lunch in Washington, D.C.?
- 13 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 14 Quiet hotel room in University district?
- 15 Visiting Denver
- 16 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 17 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 18 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 19 San Diego parks and attractions
- 20 Door County Suggestions
- 21 First family ski trip
- 22 New Hampshire Itinerary
- 23 Summer trip in New England (15 days)
- 24 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 25 boston to nantucket: what are our options?