Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 2 Cab Cost from McCarren to Venetian Hotel?
- 3 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 4 Chicago Architectural River Tours - which one for us?
- 5 New York City Subway Fare Payment
- 6 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 7 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 8 Advice on a Hamptons Day Trip
- 9 Rafting in Wisconsin
- 10 Helicopter tours from Vegas to Grand Canyon
- 11 Cocoa Beach Restaurant Recommendations near Courtyard Cocoa Beach
- 12 Hawaii Trip. Paradise Lost (Or At Least Misplaced)
- 13 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 14 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 15 Phoenix restaurants
- 16 5 week in US/Mexico
- 17 Camping at Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and Arches
- 18 10 day trip to California
- 19 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 20 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 21 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 22 Rafting near Denali
- 23 New York City Restaurants
- 24 Oregon to SF - avoid Coastal Route
- 25 Kennedy Space Center