Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Things to do in Bakersfield
- 2 Lodging near Zion National Park
- 3 Turning 30 in March. What shall I do?
- 4 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 5 First Trip to Texas -
- 6 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 7 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 8 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 9 Road to Hana - tour company or on your own
- 10 New Hampshire
- 11 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 12 How many days to spend in San Francisco, LA & Las vegas?
- 13 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 14 Family Vacation for Mom's 80th Birthday
- 15 Beaches in Florida
- 16 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 17 Nashville Questions
- 18 Best stay, park & fly hotel near Boston Logan airport?
- 19 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 20 Downtown Chicago
- 21 Pittsburgh to New York City
- 22 Transportation from Lahaina to Kaanapali Westin
- 23 Charleston Hotel Question
- 24 Grand Circle - need to add 3 nights
- 25 New Orleans on Easter Sunday - parade and church?
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends: