Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Utah: Southern Parks Itinerary Help
- 2 Relocating to the Deep South
- 3 Modern, clean Miami Airport hotel ???
- 4 Dry Tortugas, Ferry or SeaPlane
- 5 Seattle to Los Angeles Dec 2015
- 6 Traveling to bend ore via hwy 5 fron SF in early January
- 7 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 8 Vegas-Arizona-Utah road Trip
- 9 2.5 days in New York. Are hotels the only option?
- 10 Security at Lucas Oil Stadium for Big Ten Championship
- 11 Costco Chicken Salad Recalled
- 12 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 13 south west family trip itinerary
- 14 Oahu November 2015 Trip Report
- 15 Report & Photos: Behind the Scenes at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!
- 16 California road trip - oneway or round trip
- 17 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 18 Adele saves Thanksgiving
- 19 wasting time around JFK
- 20 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 21 RV Roadtrip | Elkhart, IN to Middletown, NJ | Mid March 2016
- 22 outside adventure Las Vegas? Food too
- 23 SF Restaurant
- 24 Best cities with Mild winter temperatures
- 25 Charleston, Savannah, and Coast Itinerary <Feedback requested!>
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends: