Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 2 Napili in Maui with toddlers?
- 3 Which island for R&R?
- 4 Any off site car rental agencies around JFK?
- 5 VRBO is now charging renters a service fee--What's up?
- 6 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 7 Olympic NP w/toddler
- 8 Towing a camper trailer during January
- 9 Great trip to Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME
- 10 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 11 Summer mountains and lakes with kids
- 12 Scenic road trip northeast Pennsylvania to Charlotte
- 13 Your Favorite Restaurant in Annapolis
- 14 Montana dude ranch recommendation
- 15 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 16 20th Anniversary NYC Fringe Festival
- 17 10 Year Anniversary Dinner in NYC
- 18 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 19 November redwoods trip
- 20 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver
- 21 1.5 Days in Boston with 3 little ones
- 22 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 23 NYC Airport transport (well, Newark)
- 24 Yellowstone
- 25 JFK TO MANHATTEN
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends: