Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Skiing New Mexico
- 2 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November
- 3 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 4 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 5 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 6 Where to from Tampa?
- 7 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 8 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 9 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 10 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 11 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 12 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 13 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 14 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 15 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 16 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 17 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 18 Thinking about moving from PA to Florida (Dr. Phillips area of Orlando)
- 19 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 20 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 21 Drive from Grand Canyon to Prescott next week
- 22 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please
- 23 Special Occasion/Fancy Dress shops in South Florida
- 24 Looking for a travel loop in Arizona (Las Vegas to Tucson & back)
- 25 Is the New York subway safe?