Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Rental car question
- 2 Yosemite places to eat in half dome village
- 3 Island Hopping. Need #1 things to do on each island.
- 4 Travel from Lee Vining To Murphy California
- 5 Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks
- 6 Long Island near Brookhaven
- 7 South Beach in October
- 8 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October
- 9 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 10 Any suggestions about portable WIFI devices in the US?
- 11 VRBO is now charging renters a service fee--What's up?
- 12 Nantucket ferry - how badly did I miscalculate?
- 13 Guys Ski Trip in Breckenridge
- 14 Grand Canyon hike
- 15 Best way from LaGuardia to Stamford
- 16 Renting camper van/ motor home
- 17 Live theater in the PNW/BC in October?
- 18 My kingdom for an acai bowl on Hawaii Island
- 19 Quick Acela Questions
- 20 Please help me with directions
- 21 Laguardia - god?/bad? Idea
- 22 Denver/YellowStone /Urgent
- 23 Thank God I'm a Mountain Girl
- 24 Florida for a while
- 25 Yoga Retreats
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends: