Greeting Fodor's Friends:
My family, hubby, wifey, daughter 15 and daughter 11 will be Southern California in mid-June for several days. San Diego for 2 full days; Los Angeles for 4 full days (2 will be at DisneyLand); Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo for 2 full days. There is 1 "extra" day worked into this for flexibility.
We want to experience a variety of water activities, as well as activities unique to the area/culture. We do not have to do everything on this list...but...if we could...that would be nice. We want to do these things at the "best" place...ie most picturesque, best odds of actually seeing a whale and seals, etc. It would be great if we could combine our wish list (for example...see whales and seals and kayak all in one trip!!!). So...following that coastline (and even a bit north of Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo if necessary)...WHAT'S THE BEST PLACE TO : whale watch, see seals, take surfing lessons (maybe wind surf? too), guided kayak trip, tour a winery (kid friendly if that makes sense), see a mission, snorkel, and para sail.
We are booked to stay at Santa Barbara (Fess Parker Resort). BUT...would you suggest we drive a bit farther north...say to San Luis Obispo?
ALSO---is it unreasonable to try to make it to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle ASSUMING we stay in Santa Barbara?...or should we wait to do that when we vacation in Northern California (San Francisco-ish area)?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS on what to do would be appreciated too. We do not go on vacation to rest...we go on vacation to DO and SEE and PLAY and TOUR and OBSERVE, etc. We like to squeeze every bit of life out of our vacation! So a full itinerary is fine!
THANKS in advance.
CALIFORNIA - San Diego & Los Angeles & Santa Barbara OR San Luis Obispo
Greeting Fodor's Friends:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 2 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations
- 3 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver
- 4 First family ski trip
- 5 NYC theatre broadway
- 6 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 7 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 8 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 9 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 10 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 11 Über, peer sharing sites, and insurance
- 12 new online travel network
- 13 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 14 USA with a 3 year old
- 15 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 16 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 17 Universal studios/Orlando
- 18 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 19 Accomodations in Seattle for 15
- 20 A dreamy week on Kauai with three generations
- 21 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 22 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 23 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 24 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 25 Looking for Hotel Alternatives on Coast to Coast Trip