My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://www.xaddition.net/lumidaire
- 2 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 3 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 4 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 5 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 6 San Diego VRBO area
- 7 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 8 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 9 Glacier National Park 2018
- 10 San Diego with teens in Februsry
- 11 Muir Woods in October
- 12 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 13 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 14 Chicago - Memphis - NO - Anaheim (train/plane and taxi)
- 15 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 16 Southbound lanes at San Ysidro Border Crossing close for 57 hrs.
- 17 Disneyland Grand Californian
- 18 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
- 19 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 20 Colorado Shows Off
- 21 New England Tour
- 22 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
- 23 help me plan a Cali trip
- 24 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens
- 25 10-hour MIA layover ideas?