My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Request Driving tips from Zion NP, UT to San Francisco?
- 2 Denver CO what to do arriving at 8am
- 3 what western states to spend the most time in
- 4 Memphis to New Orleans Trip
- 5 San Diego, Yosemite, Napa
- 6 Advice Road trip 15 days California Grand Canyon
- 7 Hawaii - where?
- 8 San Francisco accommodation suggestions for November
- 9 Little Compton, RI
- 10 Trail Ridge Probably Not Open
- 11 Moab UT Accommendations
- 12 A week in NYC - first timers
- 13 Colorado Winter Wedding Venue
- 14 Help with itinerary...4 days in DC
- 15 Las vegas to Kingston, NY - 7/8 days- June 4th
- 16 New Orleans/long weekend in September
- 17 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 18 New York Pass Yes or No ???
- 19 San Francisco & West Hollywood restaurants
- 20 Retiring in Florida
- 21 Help with first time
- 22 NJ to Florida drive
- 23 Maine/Vermont/Quebec vs. Costa Rica?
- 24 Rapid City Accommodation - 1st timer - looking for up to date suggestions
- 25 Best route from Battle Creek, MI to Bar Harbor, ME