My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 I-70 to Leadville, CO - 91 or 24
- 2 Boston Santa Speedo Run?
- 3 Austin with Kids
- 4 drive from sfo to glen ellen
- 5 Our first trip to Hawaii
- 6 Short Vermont Road Trip
- 7 40th birthday in (COLD) Chicago!
- 8 Need help planning Arizona & California Desert trip in March
- 9 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 10 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 11 Advice on San Francisco itinerary please!
- 12 Charleston/Savannah help needed
- 13 trip to Acadia National Park
- 14 Carmel for 5 nights with baby
- 15 September southwest utah
- 16 San Francisco - need restaurant & tourist tips
- 17 Hotel suggestions San Francisco
- 18 Two Mini Trips to Minneapolis
- 19 Hotels in Minneapolis for University visit
- 20 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 21 Charleston and Asheville
- 22 Maui and the Big Island - Activities for each island
- 23 3 days in Houston area ?????
- 24 Areas to Stay in Boston
- 25 Wildlife viewing in the US South West