My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 2 Grand Canyon Helicopter Ride
- 3 How many days to spend in San Francisco, LA & Las vegas?
- 4 Which hotel in Washington, D.C.?
- 5 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 6 Grand Circle Road Trip
- 7 Redwood National Forest
- 8 4-5 day active vacation/road trip from NY/NJ
- 9 Biltmore Estate - Asheville, NC
- 10 Safe travel route from Medford, Oregon to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 11 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 12 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 13 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 14 Itinary for Maui - help please
- 15 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 16 Driving from Chicago to Miami, first time.
- 17 3/31-5/29 New Tracy Letts Play!
- 18 Help formulate itinerary for Florida keys
- 19 College Tour: Harvard, MIT, and Yale
- 20 Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend
- 21 Best Places to Start Backpacking
- 22 a tourist in DC this February
- 23 Springtime in Florida
- 24 Kings and Sequoia.
- 25 Whale Watching in Kauai