My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 SF Cable Cars
- 2 louisiana bayou
- 3 Brainstorming - city to visit for disabled young man
- 4 Mobile Suggestions
- 5 Napa winery tour that doesn't require walking? (Eldery person in our group)
- 6 Digital Camera Recommendation
- 7 5 Things Not to Miss in NYC?
- 8 4 Days in LV
- 9 One day in Dallas
- 10 Biking and Swimming on Siesta Key
- 11 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 12 Off the beaten track in the deep south
- 13 October in Colorado
- 14 Boston to New York
- 15 Best Colorado City?: hot summers, mild winters
- 16 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 17 What to do in myrtle beach…and where to dine
- 18 Best Router driving rental truck to go to Long beach, NY
- 19 Pensacola Suggestions
- 20 Nova Star
- 21 7 days in Colorado
- 22 Yellowstone in the Winter
- 23 Biloxi Suggestions
- 24 myrtle beach
- 25 16 Days Utah National Parks