My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Spring Break National Park Visit
- 2 Oregon Trip March 2017
- 3 New orleans recs for family
- 4 Best route to tour most of Michigan-Help!
- 5 Ideas for February Road Trip from San Francisco?
- 6 Later Winter around Mobile
- 7 10 days in California. What should I hit?
- 8 New England Road Trip Itinerary
- 9 San Diego to Oregon road trip itinerary
- 10 2 days in Vermont, Green Mountain area
- 11 USA Trip in 4 Weeks
- 12 Uber boston
- 13 Any Estero Island/Ft Myers experts?
- 14 Florida keys trip
- 15 First Time to Maine - Itinerary Help!
- 16 Steamboat Springs, CO
- 17 My Colorado trip ?'s (June)
- 18 Florida beach vacation
- 19 Suggestion for Las Vegas to Yosemite in July
- 20 Hawaii Help
- 21 sight seeing Las Vegas to Palm Springs to Sante Fe
- 22 Driving from Provo to Grand Junction in March 2017
- 23 HAWAII; HELP!
- 24 28 Day Road Trip to the Northwest from Chicago
- 25 San Francisco to San Diego Road Trip with little kids