My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
California Road Trip - How to fit it all together.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Chicago to New England Road trip
- 2 Where is the best shrimp on Oahu
- 3 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 4 Prince of Wales or Many Glacier? WHY?
- 5 Budget hotels in Ft Meyers
- 6 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 7 California San Diego area lodging
- 8 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 9 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 10 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 11 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 12 Utah 2
- 13 Fiery Furnace Hike in Arches national park
- 14 zion, Bryce,grand canyon
- 15 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 16 Bar Harbor and Boston
- 17 Best to do list on Hawaii
- 18 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 19 Kauai Garden tours
- 20 Flight Deals to Hawaii From Nashville?
- 21 Kaanapali Beach Hotel- Maui
- 22 Taking the St. Charles streetcar - looking for a stop along the way . . .
- 23 Where to stay and what to do in New York!?
- 24 Broadway show suggestions April 22 or 23
- 25 Why you shouldn't hang your purse over the back of your chair in Boston