My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
California Road Trip - How to fit it all together.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 2 New Englandly: a Bit of Time in Massachusetts and Maine
- 3 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 4 Trip Report - Jersey Shore, Cherry Hill, Philly, back to the roots...
- 5 yk & family 4-day trip to Portland, Maine; July 2014
- 6 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 7 Denver, Colorado, local's advice: Bistrot Vendome or other?
- 8 Road Trip Help--- Philly to Sunset, SC (Virginia portion)
- 9 Alaska Local Knowledge Request
- 10 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 11 Cape Cod trip report
- 12 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city
- 13 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 14 Vacation with 1 year old - ideas?
- 15 Alaska Trip Report—10 days by car in July
- 16 Road Trip SW
- 17 Seafood
- 18 Drive Seattle to Las Vegas
- 19 moving to florida
- 20 2 weeks in Alaska
- 21 San Diego farmer's markets
- 22 DENALI FLIGHTSEEING/BUS TOUR OPTION?
- 23 Honeymoon/road trip/adventure/help!
- 24 car rental from denver airport and shuttle question
- 25 Connecticut River Byway