My boyfriend and I are planning a US road trip and we are having trouble figuring out a route through California.
This trip is part of a 6 month USA trip so time at this stage isn’t a worry.
Our easy targets are San Diego – LA – Monterey – San Francisco – Mendocino – Redwoods National Park following the coast (Highway 1). We plan to end in Oregon.
But we are stuck on how best to fit in; Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Death Valley, Sierra Nevada Highlights, Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. What is the best route to take to see all of these places or any suggestions along the way?
Big drives don’t worry us too much and when we are not in major cities where we focus on food and culture, we are more interested in nature/hiking and historic towns.
We will be in a van and probably be in the area June-ish so I imagine Death Valley will be blistering so we won’t want to spend too much time there.
I know this is very open but does anyone have any suggestions? Our approach at this stage will either be from Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Thanks so much.
California Road Trip - How to fit it all together.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Fran experts: need help with Bay vista points
- 2 Scouting Mt. Dora, Florida
- 3 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 4 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 5 Niagara Falls-- US side or Canada
- 6 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 7 Restaurant recommendations for lower east side & upper west side
- 8 Great Smoky Mountains: Asheville or Bryson City?
- 9 6 Weeks in the U.S./ London with Two 60ish Young At Heart
- 10 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 11 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 12 Houston in September
- 13 weather i antelope canyon in December
- 14 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 15 Suggested Itinerary for Grand Canyon and Utah National Parks in two weeks
- 16 Restaurant recommendations for Washington DC - city centre
- 17 Priceline: bid for walkable to Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio. Possible?
- 18 Itinerary for solo traveler to Maui, Hawaii
- 19 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 20 Driving from NYC to Montreal - pls recommend a place to eat in upstate NY
- 21 New York Trip
- 22 Balloon fest hotels
- 23 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 24 Best, most beautiful, unmissable sections of highway 1 on the CA coast
- 25 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide