We are planning to take a trip out to San Francisco last week of August with our son's 16 and 23. We will be spending a few days in the city and surrounding area. We've been there a few times and we've also been to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst Castle which we all loved!! We have never been up North with the exception of Mendocino for a day and of course Napa and Sonoma.
Could anyone out there familiar with the area North of Sonoma give us some advice on some great places to explore? We love nature and day hiking and beautiful sights. We would like to take about 4-5 days somewhere and maybe base and then move around a bit for day trips out. Things that look interesting are Lassen Ntl Park and Burney Falls. Just wondering what a good route or loop would be and possibly stopping in Healdsburg area either on the way up or back to San Fran. Woudl it be too much to try to go to sections of the North Coast as well? We also don't mind changing areas and splitting the days. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on some great things to see that we shouldn't miss? Thank you for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alaska Trip Report—10 days by car in July
- 2 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 3 San Diego farmer's markets
- 4 DENALI FLIGHTSEEING/BUS TOUR OPTION?
- 5 Honeymoon/road trip/adventure/help!
- 6 Denver, Colorado, local's advice: Bistrot Vendome or other?
- 7 car rental from denver airport and shuttle question
- 8 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 9 Trip Report - Jersey Shore, Cherry Hill, Philly, back to the roots...
- 10 Drive Seattle to Las Vegas
- 11 Road Trip SW
- 12 Seafood
- 13 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 14 Connecticut River Byway
- 15 Oregon Wildfire Reports
- 16 Boston
- 17 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 18 Road Trip Help--- Philly to Sunset, SC (Virginia portion)
- 19 Mt Ranier parking questions
- 20 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 21 moving to florida
- 22 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 23 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 24 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 25 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)