Happy Holidays everyone.
Looking for some advice on our plan. We're (FINALLY) getting around to planning a family trip in 3 weeks to California (2 adults/2 kids, ages 7 and 9). Last year, we did San Diego up to LA, so this year we're starting in San Francisco and ending in LA (plane tickets booked), with some nice drives along the coast.
Given our time (7 full days), we know there’s a lot we’ll miss this trip, including Yosemite, Napa Wine Country and several other things in the area.
Here's our current plan… we’re not 100% locked on the attractions, and obviously some stuff may have to get dropped given our time constraints.
Jan 17 (late)- arrive in San Fran
Jan 18-20- Tour San Fran area
Alcatraz, Cable Cars, Fishermans Wharf, Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge, The Exploratorium or California Academy of Science, Presido, Cable Car Museum, Embarcadero, North beach, Pier 39, Muir Woods
Jan 21-22 Pick up rental car and begin the drive south to Carmel-17 mile drive, Peninsula Recreational Trail, Monterey Bay, Monterey Aquarium, National Marine Sanctuary, Dennis the Menace park, Big Sur
Currently debating hotel in either Carmel or Monterey.
Jan 23- Drive south to Santa Barbara: Pismo State Park horseback riding, Hearst Castle.
Overnight in Santa Barbara (likely downtown versus the Ocean)
Jan 24th-Santa Barbara, Malibu and finish day near LAX airport
Jan 25th- Early flight out of LAX
Any specific advice or things we’re missing- especially attractions that are kid-friendly? Thanks for looking.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 2 Northwest Car Trip
- 3 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 4 Inexpensive NYC Meals 2.0
- 5 Springfield, IL to Louisville, KY best route
- 6 Two Seniors Visit NOLA, Cajuns and MS, Leave Wiser
- 7 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 8 NE Itinerary - Thoughts?
- 9 Northwest Passage
- 10 Fodor's Walt Disney World 2017 travel guide
- 11 What do you think of my Yellowstone itinerary - August 2017?
- 12 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 13 ONLY 2 DAYS IN WILLIAMSBURG
- 14 North Rim, Page, Bryce & Zion Advice
- 15 Sonoma
- 16 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 17 Fodor's Travel QA Test_20170428141326
- 18 Alaska cruise
- 19 Spur of the moment Chicago advice.
- 20 Family Colorado Road Trip
- 21 101 closure
- 22 Lowkey, waterfront, natural area for winter months--no high rises
- 23 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 24 Cruise to Alaska. Ports- Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria
- 25 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
California: Itinerary for 7 days from San Fran to LA w/ kids
Happy Holidays everyone.