We are going on a 30 day roadtrip, starting with the Grand Circle in Utah, followed by Yellowstone and ending with Yosmite and a drive from San Francisco to LA on Hwy 1.
I would like some input on where to stop and what to see on the way from San Francisco to LA. We are a family of five (kids 14, 12 and 10), and it is our first time in the US.
For now, this part of our itinerary looks like this:
day 22 drive from South Lake Tahoe to Yosemite (enter Yosemite on Tioga Pass), spend afternoon in Yosemite, lodge in Mariposa (no in-park lodging found so far)
day 23 full day in Yosemite (Mariposa - park - Mariposa)
day 24 drive from Mariposa to San Francisco, spend afternoon sight-seeing in SF
day 25 more SF, visit Alcatraz
day 26 drive south on Hwy 1 and stop somewhere on the way, maybe Pismo beach
day 27 continue driving south, second stop before LA, maybe Santa Barbara
day 28 continue drive to LA, some sight-seeing (Hollywood Blvd etc)
day 29 LA, visit Universal Studios
day 30 drive from LA to LV
day 31 LV
day 32 Flight back home
Any tips or suggestions are welcome - things to see, where to lodge, where to take a swim and where to eat, especially after we leave SF.
thank you in advance
California Dreamin' - from Yosemite to LA
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 USA with a 3 year old
- 2 Aussies' USA "White Xmas" 2013/14 Trip Report
- 3 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 4 united and carry-ons
- 5 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 6 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 7 Cape Cod in early April
- 8 Visiting Paso Robles wine country
- 9 Backpacking in April
- 10 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 11 replica designer handbags
- 12 Portland Maine Hotels
- 13 San Diego parks and attractions
- 14 Help choosing Chicago hotel
- 15 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 16 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 17 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 18 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 19 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 20 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 21 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 22 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 23 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 24 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 25 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road