Hi Fodor's Forums!
I would appreciate advice for our itinerary plans for our holiday to California and Arizona August 2014.
Yes I know Arizona will be HOT but we have no choice but go then due to our kid's ages in school. We are two adults, 2 kids who will be aged 16 and 13 (almost 14) by then. I have been to Arizona in August before. 18 day trip. We have some experience of this area as we visited in 2005 when kids much smaller and did San Diego/Anaheim/Phoenix that time. This time we plan to....
Fly to Phoenix
(we will stay a 3-4 days there as we are visiting friends)
Hire a car and travel up to Grand Canyon (stay/visit Sedona or Flagstaff on way up?) We could take a couple of days to do this ? Jerome worth a visit? Oak Creek Canyon?
Stay in Grand Canyon one night. Looking into one night at the Grand Canyon ranch resort? Would like to experience the 'western' thing!!
After this we will have a choice. Do we drive on via Hoover Dam to Las Vegas for one night to fly from there to LA with someone like SouthWest airlines?
This is quicker/easier than driving back to Phoenix plus takes in more sights?
In LA, we would like to spend 7 of our 10 days here at a nice beach resort. Laguna? Santa Barbara? Newport Beach? Ideally a villa would be great with a pool but it seems these are much harder to come by than in Florida! Or perhaps a resort type hotel which has its own villa/apartments with use of pool etc.
But somewhere closeish to explore a little of LA ie Hollywood, Universal studios etc.
We would spend our last 4 days at Disneyland/DCA (big fans!)
We could always stay on the park for this section.
Fly home from LA.
We are interested in swimming, beaches (including beaches you can actually swim at in California?), museums, native american culture, theme parks and animals.
Any advice gratefully received!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
- 2 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 3 help me plan a Cali trip
- 4 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens
- 5 New England Tour
- 6 Colorado Shows Off
- 7 Disneyland Grand Californian
- 8 10-hour MIA layover ideas?
- 9 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 10 Trip to San Francisco in Dec 2017
- 11 Wilmington DE questions
- 12 San Francisco to Seattle in a day (fires in Oregon)
- 13 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii??
- 14 Inexpensive Restaurants Near Canyonlands and Capitol Reef?
- 15 Getting from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle
- 16 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 17 NYC 9/11 Tour - best options?
- 18 Muir Woods in October
- 19 Dining after show at Sondheim Theatre
- 20 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 21 Southern California Sand Dunes - Oceano Dunes
- 22 Alaska trip rough Itinerary for Sep 2017
- 23 Mesa Verde question
- 24 Planning our Move
- 25 Road Trip Travel Advice - 2 Days or 3?
Hi Fodor's Forums!