Hi Fodor's Forums!
I would appreciate advice for our itinerary plans for our holiday to California and Arizona August 2014.
Yes I know Arizona will be HOT but we have no choice but go then due to our kid's ages in school. We are two adults, 2 kids who will be aged 16 and 13 (almost 14) by then. I have been to Arizona in August before. 18 day trip. We have some experience of this area as we visited in 2005 when kids much smaller and did San Diego/Anaheim/Phoenix that time. This time we plan to....
Fly to Phoenix
(we will stay a 3-4 days there as we are visiting friends)
Hire a car and travel up to Grand Canyon (stay/visit Sedona or Flagstaff on way up?) We could take a couple of days to do this ? Jerome worth a visit? Oak Creek Canyon?
Stay in Grand Canyon one night. Looking into one night at the Grand Canyon ranch resort? Would like to experience the 'western' thing!!
After this we will have a choice. Do we drive on via Hoover Dam to Las Vegas for one night to fly from there to LA with someone like SouthWest airlines?
This is quicker/easier than driving back to Phoenix plus takes in more sights?
In LA, we would like to spend 7 of our 10 days here at a nice beach resort. Laguna? Santa Barbara? Newport Beach? Ideally a villa would be great with a pool but it seems these are much harder to come by than in Florida! Or perhaps a resort type hotel which has its own villa/apartments with use of pool etc.
But somewhere closeish to explore a little of LA ie Hollywood, Universal studios etc.
We would spend our last 4 days at Disneyland/DCA (big fans!)
We could always stay on the park for this section.
Fly home from LA.
We are interested in swimming, beaches (including beaches you can actually swim at in California?), museums, native american culture, theme parks and animals.
Any advice gratefully received!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
- 2 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 3 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 4 Zion and Bryce in July
- 5 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 6 Itinerary Help Needed
- 7 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 8 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 9 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 10 What to pack
- 11 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 12 First time, Best business class?
- 13 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 14 SW Colorado/San Juan Skyway ideas?
- 15 Between Naples and Fort Myers
- 16 Kids Vacation Place
- 17 Desert Southwest
- 18 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 19 If you're in Cleveland for the GOP Convention
- 20 Boston waterfront Italian
- 21 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 22 US-Canada road trip help
- 23 Cape cod, Vermont and Newyork
- 24 11 Days in Washington State and northern Oregon: what to do?
- 25 Lake Tahoe or ?
Hi Fodor's Forums!