Hi Fodor's Forums!
I would appreciate advice for our itinerary plans for our holiday to California and Arizona August 2014.
Yes I know Arizona will be HOT but we have no choice but go then due to our kid's ages in school. We are two adults, 2 kids who will be aged 16 and 13 (almost 14) by then. I have been to Arizona in August before. 18 day trip. We have some experience of this area as we visited in 2005 when kids much smaller and did San Diego/Anaheim/Phoenix that time. This time we plan to....
Fly to Phoenix
(we will stay a 3-4 days there as we are visiting friends)
Hire a car and travel up to Grand Canyon (stay/visit Sedona or Flagstaff on way up?) We could take a couple of days to do this ? Jerome worth a visit? Oak Creek Canyon?
Stay in Grand Canyon one night. Looking into one night at the Grand Canyon ranch resort? Would like to experience the 'western' thing!!
After this we will have a choice. Do we drive on via Hoover Dam to Las Vegas for one night to fly from there to LA with someone like SouthWest airlines?
This is quicker/easier than driving back to Phoenix plus takes in more sights?
In LA, we would like to spend 7 of our 10 days here at a nice beach resort. Laguna? Santa Barbara? Newport Beach? Ideally a villa would be great with a pool but it seems these are much harder to come by than in Florida! Or perhaps a resort type hotel which has its own villa/apartments with use of pool etc.
But somewhere closeish to explore a little of LA ie Hollywood, Universal studios etc.
We would spend our last 4 days at Disneyland/DCA (big fans!)
We could always stay on the park for this section.
Fly home from LA.
We are interested in swimming, beaches (including beaches you can actually swim at in California?), museums, native american culture, theme parks and animals.
Any advice gratefully received!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Southern Michigan vacation destination?
- 2 Detroit - Something Fun to Do?
- 3 Nilichik Ak.
- 4 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 5 Las vegas +21
- 6 "Kid" things to do in Stanwood area
- 7 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 8 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 9 Nat Park Trip in Utah - Too Much??
- 10 SF <-> Seattle in Nov. (9 days)
- 11 A day in Boston
- 12 Samsonite Silhouette 7 repair part
- 13 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 14 Newport , RI
- 15 Steamboat in August
- 16 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 17 Depot Bay OR
- 18 South beach Miami to Key west driving map
- 19 Tour guide in Bend, OR, for Lava Caves?
- 20 Sim Card and Carrier Plan for Data in US and Canada for tourist
- 21 Newport Historic District - where is it? Walking tour?
- 22 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 23 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 24 Drive from San Fran to Portland or Seattle in winter
- 25 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
Hi Fodor's Forums!