Hi Fodor's Forums!
I would appreciate advice for our itinerary plans for our holiday to California and Arizona August 2014.
Yes I know Arizona will be HOT but we have no choice but go then due to our kid's ages in school. We are two adults, 2 kids who will be aged 16 and 13 (almost 14) by then. I have been to Arizona in August before. 18 day trip. We have some experience of this area as we visited in 2005 when kids much smaller and did San Diego/Anaheim/Phoenix that time. This time we plan to....
Fly to Phoenix
(we will stay a 3-4 days there as we are visiting friends)
Hire a car and travel up to Grand Canyon (stay/visit Sedona or Flagstaff on way up?) We could take a couple of days to do this ? Jerome worth a visit? Oak Creek Canyon?
Stay in Grand Canyon one night. Looking into one night at the Grand Canyon ranch resort? Would like to experience the 'western' thing!!
After this we will have a choice. Do we drive on via Hoover Dam to Las Vegas for one night to fly from there to LA with someone like SouthWest airlines?
This is quicker/easier than driving back to Phoenix plus takes in more sights?
In LA, we would like to spend 7 of our 10 days here at a nice beach resort. Laguna? Santa Barbara? Newport Beach? Ideally a villa would be great with a pool but it seems these are much harder to come by than in Florida! Or perhaps a resort type hotel which has its own villa/apartments with use of pool etc.
But somewhere closeish to explore a little of LA ie Hollywood, Universal studios etc.
We would spend our last 4 days at Disneyland/DCA (big fans!)
We could always stay on the park for this section.
Fly home from LA.
We are interested in swimming, beaches (including beaches you can actually swim at in California?), museums, native american culture, theme parks and animals.
Any advice gratefully received!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 2 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 3 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 4 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 5 yosemite -grand canyon- bryce and zion
- 6 Jazzfest side trips
- 7 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 8 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 9 Ideas for New York
- 10 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 11 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 12 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 13 IAH to HOU Questions
- 14 Road Trip from Washington DC to Asheville NC
- 15 Honeymoon Trip to California
- 16 No Spam this morning!!
- 17 17' uhaul from seattle wa to San Antonio Texas
- 18 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Attack Events
- 19 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 20 San Francisco transit options
- 21 Road Trip From Central PA TO CA (LA, California)
- 22 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 23 Pittsburgh to Richmond - Possible Routes?
- 24 Photos from Glacier National Park October 2016
- 25 East Nashville or Hillsboro Village
Hi Fodor's Forums!