Here is a brief recap of my Staycation Part I (Low Country). Staycation Part II, back in metro DC, probably won't be worth a trip report because yesterday was mostly errands, today may be a stroll around DC (and dinner and a movie later) and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Probably more work on my photos...
At any rate, I spent part of the week at my home in coastal South Carolina this week. I visited Charleston and Savannah. The set of photos below is currently just of Charleston, but by the time I fill it completely there will be some Savannah ones as well.
The weather, incidentally, was perfect all week. Bright sun and warm - I think we even hit 80 one day. It didn't "cool down" until Wednesday and that was only low 70s.
What I did all week:
Charleston for a day.
Charleston is a nice day trip from Hilton Head. I think I'm going to have to make it an overnight the next time, though, because there is so much to do and see there and the drive takes a while - mostly because a large chunk of it is on two-lane roads. I hadn't planned anything but I knew I wanted to eat and take a walking tour. I parked at the visitor center and asked about architectural walking tours. There just so happened to be a tour at 2 PM with Fern, the owner of "Architectural Walking Tours of Charleston". This turned out to be perfect timing because it was nearly noon and I was starving.
I window-shopped my way down King Street until I made it to Queen Street. I had hoped to eat at FIG but they were closed for lunch when I called. The manager recommended Husk on Queen Street. And now I'm recommending it to you. It's Low Country cuisine and locally sourced. Sean Brock, the chef, won the James Beard "Best Chef Southeast" in 2010. The restaurant is housed in a beautiful Queen Anne building which was built in the late 1800s. Below is the link about Sean, but click around and look at the photos of this pretty building, too.
I found a NY Times article on Husk as well. What luck - I hadn't even heard of Husk just hours before I ate there.
What did I eat? I started with fried green tomatoes, which used pickled tomatoes! Maybe they are always meant to be made with pickled tomatoes, but, I never detected that in other ones before. These were fantastic. Main course: cornmeal dusted catfish with its own sides, and an extra side of grits with cheddar and mushrooms. Rose with the meal. Yes, I was stuffed, in fact I couldn't finish it. I took a good sampling of each item though.
The meeting point with Fern was practically around the corner. Meeting Street Inn, as a matter of fact. This is across from the City Market.
I followed Fern around the central parts of Charleston for two hours. She is a lovely lady, probably mid 70s. Very old-southern charming. We started with the Powder Magazine and ended with Rainbow Row, and various points between. She's quite knowledgeable and you can spend a pleasant few hours learning details of architecture and history with her.
After the tour ended I wandered back to the visitor center, got my car, and left for home around 530 PM.
The photos, as mentioned, I'll add everything to this set eventually:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 2 Trinity Site, NM
- 3 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 4 Hotel in Reno
- 5 North Carolina airports
- 6 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 7 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 8 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 9 Santa Fe Itineray
- 10 Visiting Glacier Nat'l Park with 18 mo old.
- 11 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 12 Moab Weekend with Kids
- 13 Boston to Naples florida
- 14 Retiring to Tucson
- 15 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
- 16 Coastal California trip with toddlers in April
- 17 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 18 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 19 best health clubs with lap pools
- 20 10 days vacation in California
- 21 Dallas for the first time. Rent car? Activities?
- 22 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine
- 23 Tampa Suborns vs Orlando Suborns? To Raise a Family.
- 24 which airport when going to Stamford,CT?
- 25 Maui/Kauai Honeymoon Itinerary - hotel help?
Brief trip report: Savannah and Charleston