Here is a brief recap of my Staycation Part I (Low Country). Staycation Part II, back in metro DC, probably won't be worth a trip report because yesterday was mostly errands, today may be a stroll around DC (and dinner and a movie later) and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Probably more work on my photos...
At any rate, I spent part of the week at my home in coastal South Carolina this week. I visited Charleston and Savannah. The set of photos below is currently just of Charleston, but by the time I fill it completely there will be some Savannah ones as well.
The weather, incidentally, was perfect all week. Bright sun and warm - I think we even hit 80 one day. It didn't "cool down" until Wednesday and that was only low 70s.
What I did all week:
Charleston for a day.
Charleston is a nice day trip from Hilton Head. I think I'm going to have to make it an overnight the next time, though, because there is so much to do and see there and the drive takes a while - mostly because a large chunk of it is on two-lane roads. I hadn't planned anything but I knew I wanted to eat and take a walking tour. I parked at the visitor center and asked about architectural walking tours. There just so happened to be a tour at 2 PM with Fern, the owner of "Architectural Walking Tours of Charleston". This turned out to be perfect timing because it was nearly noon and I was starving.
I window-shopped my way down King Street until I made it to Queen Street. I had hoped to eat at FIG but they were closed for lunch when I called. The manager recommended Husk on Queen Street. And now I'm recommending it to you. It's Low Country cuisine and locally sourced. Sean Brock, the chef, won the James Beard "Best Chef Southeast" in 2010. The restaurant is housed in a beautiful Queen Anne building which was built in the late 1800s. Below is the link about Sean, but click around and look at the photos of this pretty building, too.
I found a NY Times article on Husk as well. What luck - I hadn't even heard of Husk just hours before I ate there.
What did I eat? I started with fried green tomatoes, which used pickled tomatoes! Maybe they are always meant to be made with pickled tomatoes, but, I never detected that in other ones before. These were fantastic. Main course: cornmeal dusted catfish with its own sides, and an extra side of grits with cheddar and mushrooms. Rose with the meal. Yes, I was stuffed, in fact I couldn't finish it. I took a good sampling of each item though.
The meeting point with Fern was practically around the corner. Meeting Street Inn, as a matter of fact. This is across from the City Market.
I followed Fern around the central parts of Charleston for two hours. She is a lovely lady, probably mid 70s. Very old-southern charming. We started with the Powder Magazine and ended with Rainbow Row, and various points between. She's quite knowledgeable and you can spend a pleasant few hours learning details of architecture and history with her.
After the tour ended I wandered back to the visitor center, got my car, and left for home around 530 PM.
The photos, as mentioned, I'll add everything to this set eventually:
Brief trip report: Savannah and Charleston
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road Trip 2015 south west US
- 2 Jensen Beach - Vistana Beach Club
- 3 Trip to Glacier & Waterton, starting in Spokane
- 4 PLACES TO STAY NEAR BRYCE CANYON AND CEDAR CITY UTAH
- 5 Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19
- 6 Santa Fe
- 7 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 8 Upstate New York with an 11yr old
- 9 Miami/Bimini versus Austin Christmas/New Years period no car
- 10 Yankee Stadium
- 11 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 12 Lommila/Lomila
- 13 DC to NYC in September
- 14 Universal Studios, Orlando - Harry Potter!
- 15 Kauai -- Music Lovers!!!
- 16 Waianae in 2014?
- 17 Getting to Fedex Field Washington DC from Crystal City
- 18 Metro pass
- 19 Any recommendations for car rental company in Ketchikan?
- 20 Laissez les bon temps rouler?
- 21 Where to eat in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood?
- 22 Where to stay on Kauai...does time of year really matter?
- 23 Boston North End Restaurants-anniversary dinner
- 24 Santa Fe dining questions
- 25 Amazing trip from Sacramento to Yellowstone via a 9 state, 4,274 mile scenic route..