We will be in Yellowstone the first week of June. Since we have seen nothing of Montana except Gardiner and GNP, we thought we would take a day to drive from the Old Faithful area to Virginia City and Nevada City, then go to Bozeman for the night. Originally thought we'd take 191 back to W. Y'stone, then drive over to Canyon, where we're spending the next two nights. But I've been thinking since 89 is also marked on the map as a scenic road, maybe we could drive to Livingston and come back that way, through Mammoth. We wouldn't mind spend a couple of hours at Mammoth (despite disappointment in '08 at how much it had dried up since '03) and probably wouldn't get up there otherwise since we're planning to concentrate on other parts of the park. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the two roads. I assume if we have some snow, 191 would be the safer road. Other than that, is either decidedly more scenic than the other or is 89 extremely scary to drive? (Scarier than Rt. 12 from Torrey to Escalante, for instance.)
Bozeman to Y'stone - Hwy 191 or Hwy 89?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 ideas for pacific coast drive (CA)
- 2 Fall vacation in Colorado
- 3 Road Trip SW
- 4 Pacific Coast Hwy 10 days
- 5 Chicago trip
- 6 NYC IN AUGUST
- 7 Help w/ River Cruise Company-OH to Mississippi-end@New Orleans-Fall 2014
- 8 culpepper
- 9 Zion Narrows - Relatively Easy / Suitable for Older Folks?
- 10 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 11 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 12 Fancy dining
- 13 I want to visit the india particular north east india ?
- 14 Hotel near Miami airport
- 15 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 16 Will have five days in Savannah
- 17 Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
- 18 Trip Report: New York City July 25-27, 2014
- 19 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 20 Itinerary opinions
- 21 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 22 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 23 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 24 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 25 Santa Barbara, California