We will be in Yellowstone the first week of June. Since we have seen nothing of Montana except Gardiner and GNP, we thought we would take a day to drive from the Old Faithful area to Virginia City and Nevada City, then go to Bozeman for the night. Originally thought we'd take 191 back to W. Y'stone, then drive over to Canyon, where we're spending the next two nights. But I've been thinking since 89 is also marked on the map as a scenic road, maybe we could drive to Livingston and come back that way, through Mammoth. We wouldn't mind spend a couple of hours at Mammoth (despite disappointment in '08 at how much it had dried up since '03) and probably wouldn't get up there otherwise since we're planning to concentrate on other parts of the park. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the two roads. I assume if we have some snow, 191 would be the safer road. Other than that, is either decidedly more scenic than the other or is 89 extremely scary to drive? (Scarier than Rt. 12 from Torrey to Escalante, for instance.)
Bozeman to Y'stone - Hwy 191 or Hwy 89?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 2 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 3 Alaska Trip Planning
- 4 NC or SC Beach Escape
- 5 New York in May - Dinner at Bouley,
- 6 which St. Louis neighborhood to base in, given these destinations?
- 7 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 8 New York City-New Things?
- 9 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 10 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 11 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 12 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 13 SOS....Thunderstorms when we plan to visit NOLA
- 14 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 15 Purchase of Florida Condo
- 16 scenic route from Estes Park to Salt Lake City
- 17 Traveling from Vegas to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah
- 18 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 19 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 20 Traffic from Wine Country to SFO on weekday
- 21 Recommended Private Shuttle Service From JFK Airport to Long Island City
- 22 Kid School Admission
- 23 NYC hotel/July
- 24 Boston to see Sargent works
- 25 Southern Alabama trip report