We will be in Yellowstone the first week of June. Since we have seen nothing of Montana except Gardiner and GNP, we thought we would take a day to drive from the Old Faithful area to Virginia City and Nevada City, then go to Bozeman for the night. Originally thought we'd take 191 back to W. Y'stone, then drive over to Canyon, where we're spending the next two nights. But I've been thinking since 89 is also marked on the map as a scenic road, maybe we could drive to Livingston and come back that way, through Mammoth. We wouldn't mind spend a couple of hours at Mammoth (despite disappointment in '08 at how much it had dried up since '03) and probably wouldn't get up there otherwise since we're planning to concentrate on other parts of the park. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the two roads. I assume if we have some snow, 191 would be the safer road. Other than that, is either decidedly more scenic than the other or is 89 extremely scary to drive? (Scarier than Rt. 12 from Torrey to Escalante, for instance.)
Bozeman to Y'stone - Hwy 191 or Hwy 89?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 2 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 3 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 4 Visiting Denver
- 5 Visiting Denver
- 6 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 7 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 8 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 9 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 10 Alternatives to Disney in Florida
- 11 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 12 Denver in a half day
- 13 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 14 First family ski trip
- 15 Safe Way of renting property in Orlando
- 16 Return to Utah - New Sites
- 17 Oahu ideas
- 18 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 19 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 20 Best places to move to Florida?
- 21 West Coast Bound End of March
- 22 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 23 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 24 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 25 Vacation rentals in Tucson