We will be in Yellowstone the first week of June. Since we have seen nothing of Montana except Gardiner and GNP, we thought we would take a day to drive from the Old Faithful area to Virginia City and Nevada City, then go to Bozeman for the night. Originally thought we'd take 191 back to W. Y'stone, then drive over to Canyon, where we're spending the next two nights. But I've been thinking since 89 is also marked on the map as a scenic road, maybe we could drive to Livingston and come back that way, through Mammoth. We wouldn't mind spend a couple of hours at Mammoth (despite disappointment in '08 at how much it had dried up since '03) and probably wouldn't get up there otherwise since we're planning to concentrate on other parts of the park. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the two roads. I assume if we have some snow, 191 would be the safer road. Other than that, is either decidedly more scenic than the other or is 89 extremely scary to drive? (Scarier than Rt. 12 from Torrey to Escalante, for instance.)
Bozeman to Y'stone - Hwy 191 or Hwy 89?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sunnyvale to San Franisco and back
- 2 Gulf access or beach an hr or so north of Tampa?
- 3 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 4 middlebury vt snow
- 5 4 Nights in LA: What does our itinerary say about where we should stay?
- 6 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 7 Seeking advice for Glacier National Park
- 8 Charleston, SC Hotels
- 9 Road trip to the Deep South revisited......itinerary for your perusal
- 10 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 11 Orlando in February
- 12 Travel from Seattle WA to Oceanside CA
- 13 Parking and Neighborhood for Miami-Dade County Auditorium
- 14 ski trip: utah or colorado
- 15 Los Angeles day trips
- 16 17 day photo trip report - upstate New York
- 17 Seattle in July: Warwick or Maxwell hotel
- 18 Mt. Hood or Columbia Gorge for family reunion?
- 19 Orlando hotels
- 20 Sunday morning in southern Florida
- 21 Hop On Hop Off Bus Atlanta
- 22 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 23 Driving to Daytona Beach from New Jersey
- 24 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 25 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation