Hi, my husband and two small children are taking a road trip to Florida and Hilton Head Island at the beginning of April and would like some advice/opinions from the great fodorites out there. We love this site and have gotten tons of great advice recently. Here is the deal: we are leaving on Wednesday, March 30th afternoon from Michigan for New Smyrna Beach, FL and we do not have to arrive there, to meet our friends until Friday around 2 or 3 p.m. My original plan after checking out routes and distances etc. on Mapquest and other maps was to take 1-75 down to Knoxville area to I-40 over to I-26 thru Spartanburg area over to I-95 down. On Mapquest, this was their quickest route, not necessarily shortest but quickest route, which is what I want for this trip with two kids under four. I know tell me I'm crazy for not flying but we chose to drive this trip for various reasons, our first time driving down, we usually fly. So, we have tentatively booked near Knoxville for the first night off of I-40, and the second night in Brunswick, GA off of I-95, I got a cheap Priceline deal in Brunswick for the second night so this one I will have to keep. The first one I can cancel though. My question is, is this the best route to take or should we take the I-77 route down like some people are suggesting I do?? I guess it would be I-75 to I-80 over to I-77 thru the Virginia's and thru Charlotte over to I-26 to I-95?? Any opinions on this are appreciated...I want the shortest route, the least time for the kids to be in the car. I have heard that the truck traffic heading down I-75 can be real bad sometimes, especially at night. The first day will be a good chunk of night driving as we are trying to make it to Knoxville that first afternoon/evening. By the way, we are doing Hilton Head for four days the following week on our way back home to Michigan. Thanks so much for your help and for reading my long post!!!
Best route driving from Michigan to Florida , advice wanted....
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 2 Restaurants in and around Asheville, NC
- 3 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 4 montana vs ft nelson bc area
- 5 Florida St George's Island
- 6 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 7 Union Square area restaurant
- 8 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 9 4 week family trip ideas
- 10 Driving around Grand Canyon NP?
- 11 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 12 Must Eats
- 13 Breckenridge in October
- 14 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 15 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 16 Good area to stay in for young (20-something) married couple?
- 17 New York Food Tours
- 18 Richmond highlights?
- 19 Washington DC in Spring?
- 20 Need good hotel for couple with teen daughter for 2 nights: shopping, plays, not over $600. Which???
- 21 Arches National Park in a day
- 22 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!
- 23 DC in Dec-Restaurant ideas near Hilton Mark Alexandria
- 24 Looking for Next Destination
- 25 let's do a new Hawaii countdown