I am travelling internally in the US in economy on both of these airlines and I am having a bit of a brain melt down to determine the baggage allowances!
I just want someone to explain to me in the most simple terms how many suitcases each per person x how much weight I will be allowed?
I will have a 2 x 23kg (50 pound) check in PLUS 1 x 7kg (15 pound) allowance per person travelling internationally from Australia to US (that is a whopping total of 53kg or 115 pounds of luggage).
Now, before I get all the travellers on this forum tsking at the enormity of this indulgence - please understand that whilst I will be travelling VERY light from home - I plan to do some serious shopping damage whilst travelling west to east and back again in the US!
So - please, will I only be able to carry 1 x 23kg case + a carry-on for the internal flights and if I end up with another case because of shopping excesses how much extra $$'s maximum will the airlines charge me per flight if the second suitcase weighs again the maximum of 23 kgs (so 66 kgs in all!), just for example?
Also - on the trains (AMTRAK) between NY and RI and RI and Washington - there is no check in luggage available - but it appears that you can carry 2 cases x 50 pounds each on board per person - so does that mean I can carry a total of 100 pounds all by myself on board a train (sure I'll have fun lifting that on and off trains and into overheads!)?
Thanks for your help!
Baggage Allowances on United and Alaskan Airlines
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 2 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 3 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 4 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations
- 5 Austin Anniversary Dinner
- 6 NYC theatre broadway
- 7 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 8 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 9 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 10 First family ski trip
- 11 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 12 Huntington Beach - hostels?
- 13 5 nights in/around Yellowstone w/ kids
- 14 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 15 Alaska
- 16 San Diego grocery stores
- 17 San Diego parks and attractions
- 18 Grand Circle Trip report, Arizona and Utah
- 19 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 20 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 21 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 22 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 23 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 24 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 25 Anchorage Sheraton Hotel and Spa