Planning a car trip for a family of five (3 sons ages 15, 18, and 20) from Nebraska via Badlands in South Dakota to Yellowstone via Gardiner, MT (where we have booked a cabin). After driving a full day from Nebraska to Badlands and spending a night near there, we will have 3 days to see Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, other sites, and to get to Gardiner, MT, where we will launch 6 nights in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I have been reading tempting descriptions of the Black Hills, Custer State Park, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Devil's Tower, Bighorn National Forest and Cody. We obviously don't have time for all those things. I was kind of planning to spend a whole day in Badlands due to advice from a relative. What do people suggest we choose out of this list, as the best sites to see with limited time? Also, I am debating between taking 90 W through Wyoming and Montana to get to Gardiner (I believe this is the shortest drive), or taking Rte 212 into Yellowstone and then heading up to Gardiner (I believe this is the most scenic route, but will take longer), or entering Yellowstone via Cody and the East Entrance and then driving up to Gardiner through Yellowstone. Would love some thoughts from people familiar with all this territory. We will be travelling end of May/beginning of June.
Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, etc. to Yellowstone/Gardiner, MT
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Fran experts: need help with Bay vista points
- 2 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 3 Priceline: bid for walkable to Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio. Possible?
- 4 Great Smoky Mountains: Asheville or Bryson City?
- 5 Niagara Falls-- US side or Canada
- 6 Balloon fest hotels
- 7 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 8 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 9 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 10 Houston in September
- 11 Best, most beautiful, unmissable sections of highway 1 on the CA coast
- 12 New York Trip
- 13 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide
- 14 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 15 America's Quirkiest Towns -- Is that a good thing?
- 16 Chicago - Walk? Cab? Bus? From Soldier Field...
- 17 Newport, RI - What's it like?
- 18 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 19 San Antonio suggestions anyone?
- 20 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 21 Please help with daily details for Utah Park trip next month!
- 22 Transportation help in Philly
- 23 Orlando-off-the-beaten-track
- 24 Through Yellowstone to the OTO dude ranch
- 25 Hotels in North Philadelphia