Thank you Fodorites for all the great information you posted in July. We were originally supposed to be in Cincinnati in October but our plans were changed. We just returned from a week's stay in Downtown Cincy. We were 9 females (3 adults + 6 girls ages 1-1/2 to 15-l/2 ) travelling from Israel to Newark (where our connection was cancelled and we were stuck at the airport for 8 hours.) and then connecting to Cincinnati. We stayed at the Garfield Suites Hotel (thank you Aliska) I ordered the rooms on the internet and they even reduced the rate since I ordered 2 rooms in 2 2bedroom suites which were perfect for our needs - Our oldest daughter and her 4 daughters had one suite and I joined our other daughter with her 6 yr +l-l/2 yr old infant daughters. Each bedroom had a qn. sized bed +living room + dining area + kitchen. The bathroom was perfect as it had bathtub/shower + toilet in a separate room and dressing area/ sink/mirror outside the bathroom so that 2 people could actually be getting ready at the same time. While the rooms are dark, the people at this hotel were very accommodating and very knowledgeable. There is a restaurant open from 6:30 a.m. serving bkfst/lunch/dinner menus and the staff there, too, were excellent. The minimarket across the street helped get some things for our breakfast needs and lunch/dinner or combination was eaten in the hotel restaurant or at various family friendly spots. We were at the Tower Place; Fountain square with thebrave ice skaters; (brrrrrrr - it was cold just watching); Graeter's; the Museum Center at Union Terminal where the kids didn't want to leave; it was nice that we were able to accommodate all the different age groups in the different museums while remaining in the same building - amazing children's museum where our infant had the time of her life. The museum of natural history was a real winner(the older granddaughters and I went here). There were so many special events because of the holidays and Santa was there to greet the kids as well. The Aquarium in Newport was fabulous and the kids had a ball there as well. They petted a baby shark which they talked about all day. We were very well located for all the things we needed to accomplish including shopping at Macy's and T J Maxx where we found some great buys for all the girls. The zoo was not an option because it was just too cold to be outside and we were limited in time so opted for indoor activites. Being without a car it was nice that we managed so well with public transport and the kind shuttle provided by the Garfield Suites in getting us to the Federal Building when it was pouring rain instead of our paying for taxis. Cincinnatians were so very very friendly and helpful whereever we went it was just a pleasure being there. We used the services of Towne Taxi recommended by the Garfield Suites Hotel and we were very very satisfied with our round trip transfers from the airport/hotel/airport as well as round trip transfer to Kenwood Towne Center for our day of gift shopping. All in all, this was a trip that worked out better than our expectations. So again, Thanks to All.
Back from Cincinnati - Thank Your Fodorites
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 2 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 3 California: Sonoma/ San Fran/ Carmel
- 4 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 5 Orlando-off-the-beaten-track
- 6 late-night DC restaurant
- 7 Houston in September
- 8 America's Quirkiest Towns -- Is that a good thing?
- 9 Connecticut trip 3rd week of September
- 10 Chicago - Walk? Cab? Bus? From Soldier Field...
- 11 Joe Tro's San Francisco trip report
- 12 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 13 Hwy 54 instead of I-40 from Tucumcari to Wichita good or bad idea?
- 14 El Paso to Kansas City via Texas
- 15 Philadelphia ?
- 16 Baggage & Missed Plane Connection Questions
- 17 Yosemite First timers in August survival Guide
- 18 Exploring New Jersey and New York city
- 19 Seattle to Las Vegas Family Road Trip
- 20 Dinner-Portland, OR-Favorites?
- 21 Yellowstone Road Closures - Impact Old Faithful
- 22 rental car - Highway 1 Roadtrip
- 23 Trip Report - 4 Days in Olympic National Park
- 24 Please help with daily details for Utah Park trip next month!
- 25 S. Utah 10 day Circle-Itinery-Ist pass