I am planning a trip to Asheville, North Carolina for a week at the beginning of October. I am from the US originally, but now live in Costa Rica. First timers to North Carolina, my brother will be attending college in Mars Hill and I would like to see him for his fall break.. Asheville is the closest town.
We love outdoorsy activities - rafting, mountain biking, hiking, climbing, visiting waterfalls etc. Any suggestions on tour companies to use would be greatly appreciated! What are the "must-see" things to do and see in Asheville? I read about a natural water slide, is anyone familiar with that? My boyfriend is a rafting guide here in Costa Rica, and so we would like something that has Class IV or V rapids, does that exist here?
Does anyone have recommendations of places to stay, something nice and close to activities, shops, restaurants, etc but not too over the top expensive? We plan on renting a car, does anyone have recommendations of a good company to use? Since we will have a car, are there any places that you recommend going outside of Asheville for a day trip that aren't too far away? Would it be best to fly into Charlotte?
Thank you in advance for all of the help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 First Security Services
- 2 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 3 United Nations tours
- 4 NYC with 8 yr old
- 5 Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian for first time Disneyland visit
- 6 Things to do off I81 through VA?
- 7 Relocating?
- 8 stopping off I 81 South
- 9 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 10 Advice on tipping
- 11 Best stays in Jackson hole/tetons
- 12 Kayaking at Old Forge, NY
- 13 Virginia Beach/ Before or After Labor Day?
- 14 September Road Trip in New England
- 15 Rocky Mountain National Park/Estes Park
- 16 Road trip October
- 17 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 18 2 months in Hawaii!
- 19 Need help: itinerary from Kansas City to Yellowstone and back
- 20 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 21 Restaurant near Dana on the bay San Diego
- 22 Mosser Hotel in San Francisco, CA
- 23 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 24 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 25 Sonoma Wine Tour 2 nights