I am planning a trip to Asheville, North Carolina for a week at the beginning of October. I am from the US originally, but now live in Costa Rica. First timers to North Carolina, my brother will be attending college in Mars Hill and I would like to see him for his fall break.. Asheville is the closest town.
We love outdoorsy activities - rafting, mountain biking, hiking, climbing, visiting waterfalls etc. Any suggestions on tour companies to use would be greatly appreciated! What are the "must-see" things to do and see in Asheville? I read about a natural water slide, is anyone familiar with that? My boyfriend is a rafting guide here in Costa Rica, and so we would like something that has Class IV or V rapids, does that exist here?
Does anyone have recommendations of places to stay, something nice and close to activities, shops, restaurants, etc but not too over the top expensive? We plan on renting a car, does anyone have recommendations of a good company to use? Since we will have a car, are there any places that you recommend going outside of Asheville for a day trip that aren't too far away? Would it be best to fly into Charlotte?
Thank you in advance for all of the help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Luxury hotel in Charleston
- 2 Retiring to Tucson
- 3 Hotel in Reno
- 4 Santa Fe Itineray
- 5 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 6 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 7 Maui/Kauai Honeymoon Itinerary - hotel help?
- 8 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 9 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 10 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 11 Day trip to Disney, Orlando
- 12 Walk on Matanuksa Glacier, Alaska
- 13 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 14 Renting an RV to Tour NM
- 15 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 16 Tampa Suborns vs Orlando Suborns? To Raise a Family.
- 17 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 18 Alabama vacation "shark teeth fossils"
- 19 Roadtrip July 2017
- 20 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine
- 21 Help Please - NYC Questions and Plans
- 22 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 23 Moab Weekend with Kids
- 24 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 25 RIP Rob Stewart/Sharkwater