Hi all. Planing a trip to San Fran, Wine Country and Redwoods. This a trip I started planning in 2009 and had to postpone. I'm having a hard time choosing a place to stay in the redwoods area north of Mendocino. Most places look a little seedy and the best looking place, Benbow Inn, is expensive, but still looks a little seedy and run down. Then I read about the tiny community of Shelter Cove on the Lost Coast about 25 miles due west of Garberville. As a community of only 600, there are limited lodging opportunities, but the Shelter Cove Inn looks new and clean and has spectacular views, so I think that will be the choice. My question has to do with the drive there and what to do while there. It's relatively remote and requires a 1 - 1 1/2 hr. drive along a winding, twisting, steep road. I've read various tales about this drive and thought maybe someone could elaborate for me. Is it truly death defying, or just slow and inconvenient. I can handle the latter. Also, is the community itself worth the visit? We're thinking about two nights and it sounds like you are pretty isolated once you get there. We will also need to buy groceries before heading out there as I understand eateries are few. It looks simply stunning as far as natural beauty goes. Just want to make sure it's worth the time and significant detour off the beaten track. Can't find much info elsewhere. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Anyone been to Shelter Cove, CA?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle: Something Different?
- 2 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 3 Detroit, MI to Portland or bust.
- 4 Back from Miami Beach
- 5 Finger Lakes Itinerary Help
- 6 Blue Ridge Parkway Help!
- 7 Staying in Hollywood or Santa Monica area?
- 8 Boston GTG? 7/17/14
- 9 Las Vegas - what to do solo
- 10 Which National Park/s with 7-year-old & possibly grandparents
- 11 Seeking thoughtful advice on Yellowstone/Tetons trip!
- 12 Best accomodation in LA on a budget
- 13 Exciting new play opening at DR 2 Theatre, New York City, on July 24 2014
- 14 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 15 Safari Desert Boots by Bata
- 16 Can Anyone Suggest Me Tourism Evolution Services ?
- 17 Grand Canyon helicopter tour from Las Vegas
- 18 looking for suggestions for quiet florida beach front panhandle stay
- 19 San Fran to Crater Lake? round trip one week
- 20 The Driftless Area: An underappreciated region of the Upper Midwest
- 21 One Night in Dallas
- 22 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 23 Current status of Tappan Zee Bridge - summer 2014?
- 24 San Diego - wher to stay
- 25 Seattle Needing some help please