Hi all. Planing a trip to San Fran, Wine Country and Redwoods. This a trip I started planning in 2009 and had to postpone. I'm having a hard time choosing a place to stay in the redwoods area north of Mendocino. Most places look a little seedy and the best looking place, Benbow Inn, is expensive, but still looks a little seedy and run down. Then I read about the tiny community of Shelter Cove on the Lost Coast about 25 miles due west of Garberville. As a community of only 600, there are limited lodging opportunities, but the Shelter Cove Inn looks new and clean and has spectacular views, so I think that will be the choice. My question has to do with the drive there and what to do while there. It's relatively remote and requires a 1 - 1 1/2 hr. drive along a winding, twisting, steep road. I've read various tales about this drive and thought maybe someone could elaborate for me. Is it truly death defying, or just slow and inconvenient. I can handle the latter. Also, is the community itself worth the visit? We're thinking about two nights and it sounds like you are pretty isolated once you get there. We will also need to buy groceries before heading out there as I understand eateries are few. It looks simply stunning as far as natural beauty goes. Just want to make sure it's worth the time and significant detour off the beaten track. Can't find much info elsewhere. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Anyone been to Shelter Cove, CA?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 2 Chicago in early March 2015 - a dilemma...
- 3 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 4 Cabin Honeymoon Out West
- 5 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 6 DRIVING ACROSS COUNTRY EAST TO WEST MID MAY TO JUNE
- 7 Dining Suggestions for the Baltimore/Annapolis Area?
- 8 New York City Restaurants
- 9 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 10 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 11 Boston/Fenway park
- 12 California self drive trip
- 13 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 14 Boutique Hotels - NYC
- 15 Timeshare Nightmares
- 16 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 17 10 day trip to California
- 18 Broken Bow, Oklahoma in the Fall
- 19 Oregon, Washington, Amtrak
- 20 Drive along the Columbia River
- 21 Wine Country Picnic
- 22 Audio Driving Tour Big Island and Oahu
- 23 Hawaii Trip. Paradise Lost (Or At Least Misplaced)
- 24 Oregon to SF - avoid Coastal Route
- 25 Recommendations for four days in Las Vegas