Hi all. Planing a trip to San Fran, Wine Country and Redwoods. This a trip I started planning in 2009 and had to postpone. I'm having a hard time choosing a place to stay in the redwoods area north of Mendocino. Most places look a little seedy and the best looking place, Benbow Inn, is expensive, but still looks a little seedy and run down. Then I read about the tiny community of Shelter Cove on the Lost Coast about 25 miles due west of Garberville. As a community of only 600, there are limited lodging opportunities, but the Shelter Cove Inn looks new and clean and has spectacular views, so I think that will be the choice. My question has to do with the drive there and what to do while there. It's relatively remote and requires a 1 - 1 1/2 hr. drive along a winding, twisting, steep road. I've read various tales about this drive and thought maybe someone could elaborate for me. Is it truly death defying, or just slow and inconvenient. I can handle the latter. Also, is the community itself worth the visit? We're thinking about two nights and it sounds like you are pretty isolated once you get there. We will also need to buy groceries before heading out there as I understand eateries are few. It looks simply stunning as far as natural beauty goes. Just want to make sure it's worth the time and significant detour off the beaten track. Can't find much info elsewhere. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Anyone been to Shelter Cove, CA?
View all United States activity »
- 1 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 2 Need a Good family restaurant near Disney World
- 3 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 4 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 5 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 6 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 7 Where to stay in Kauai in December?
- 8 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 9 Biloxi questions again
- 10 Denali Bus Tour Evaluation
- 11 San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations
- 12 Madison Square Garden
- 13 SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?
- 14 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 15 Would this still be a good NYC to Boston Route?
- 16 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 17 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 18 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 19 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 20 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 21 Warm and don't Drive
- 22 After 13 Years, We Returned to the Big Apple
- 23 Antelope Canyon, Zion, and Bryce advice needed
- 24 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 25 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans