Hi all. Planing a trip to San Fran, Wine Country and Redwoods. This a trip I started planning in 2009 and had to postpone. I'm having a hard time choosing a place to stay in the redwoods area north of Mendocino. Most places look a little seedy and the best looking place, Benbow Inn, is expensive, but still looks a little seedy and run down. Then I read about the tiny community of Shelter Cove on the Lost Coast about 25 miles due west of Garberville. As a community of only 600, there are limited lodging opportunities, but the Shelter Cove Inn looks new and clean and has spectacular views, so I think that will be the choice. My question has to do with the drive there and what to do while there. It's relatively remote and requires a 1 - 1 1/2 hr. drive along a winding, twisting, steep road. I've read various tales about this drive and thought maybe someone could elaborate for me. Is it truly death defying, or just slow and inconvenient. I can handle the latter. Also, is the community itself worth the visit? We're thinking about two nights and it sounds like you are pretty isolated once you get there. We will also need to buy groceries before heading out there as I understand eateries are few. It looks simply stunning as far as natural beauty goes. Just want to make sure it's worth the time and significant detour off the beaten track. Can't find much info elsewhere. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Anyone been to Shelter Cove, CA?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 2 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 3 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 4 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 5 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 6 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 7 Visiting Denver
- 8 Visiting Denver
- 9 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 10 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 11 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 12 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 13 Alternatives to Disney in Florida
- 14 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 15 Denver in a half day
- 16 First family ski trip
- 17 Safe Way of renting property in Orlando
- 18 Return to Utah - New Sites
- 19 Oahu ideas
- 20 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 21 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 22 Best places to move to Florida?
- 23 West Coast Bound End of March
- 24 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 25 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.