I'm planning a trip to the south-east of the USA but it's very difficult to decide where to go to and make up a plan. I'm flying to Atlanta, and want to travel from there for 2 weeks. The difficulty is that I have to do everything with public transport (greyhound bus). Anyone experience with a greyhound trip? Would it be dangerous for a 28 year old girl on her own for example?
Then I have to decide to which places I'll travel. As it's close by, I want to go to the great smoky mountains, because I love the nature, adventure, hiking, ... What would be the best operating place for me to visit the smoky mountains? I already read that Gatlinburg is way too touristic and I'm not fond of that, maybe Ashville, but how can I reach my starting point of hiking without car? Other places that look interesting are Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, some islands there on the coast, I can maybe go to Florida too, I guess there are some nice diving or snorkling places. But I also don't want to spend the whole journey on a bus of course... Any tips or ideas?
Thanks very much,
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 2 Hawaii and...where?
- 3 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 4 Secaucus as base for New York 3 days-advice
- 5 Another Great DC Trip
- 6 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 7 Gatlinburg/Smokies trip report, with photos and captions
- 8 Black History Museum
- 9 Wash DC VRBO recommendation
- 10 Chicago 2017
- 11 West coast to East Coast in April-May 2018
- 12 How much time in Badlands?
- 13 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults
- 14 Where to stay in Little Rock AR
- 15 seeking advice -- scenic drive from DC to Chapel Hill
- 16 DC Restaurants
- 17 Sequoia National Park/Kings Canyon/Amtrak/Tours/grandchild
- 18 Short Oregon Trip
- 19 usa roadtrip
- 20 Visiting San Antonio early November
- 21 Route from Denver to SteamboatSprings
- 22 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?
- 23 Christmas in Colorado
- 24 Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde
- 25 Driving from FLL to Key West