So I'm going to Saint Augustine around New Years and decided to tag on a full day in Jacksonville, since I've never been to Jacksonville before and also I'll be leaving from Jacksonville's train station heading north to New York City. I'll be limited in my options not having a car, but based on my research I came up with a plan that appeals to me. My goal is to get a small sense of what Jacksonville is all about, whatever that happens to be.
I'll arrive late afternoon on January 2nd; I'm staying at the Wyndham Riverfront which is right across the river from downtown. I thought that evening I'd just cross the bridge by Skyway or foot and check out the downtown, maybe having supper at the Landing?
January 3rd: Full day: 1. Visit the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens. 2. Explore the homes of nearby Riverside/Avondale as well as Memorial Park and Riverside Park 3. See what Five Points is all about, the purported counter-culture (?) center of Jacksonville, stopping at a cafe or dining establishment. I've researched and it seems there is a trolley and city bus that goes to this area.
January 4th: Go to Jacksonville Beach in the morning by city bus, to enjoy walking (or biking if I find a rental place) alongside the beach before heading back to the frigid north. Have lunch, then head back to hotel to pick up luggage and move along.
Is there anything you think I should try to see in central Jacksonville that I've not included?
Best wishes, Daniel
Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 2 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 3 Cab Cost from McCarren to Venetian Hotel?
- 4 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 5 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 6 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 7 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 8 Brooklyn why?
- 9 Yellowstone Lodging in October
- 10 NYC over Memorial Day Weekend 2014
- 11 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 12 Florida--single woman seeks best beaches for swimming and
- 13 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 14 Kennedy Space Center
- 15 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 16 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 17 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 18 5 week in US/Mexico
- 19 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 20 John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
- 21 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 22 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 23 Book ahead for weekends this spring in Asheville, NC
- 24 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 25 Colorado Trip in Late May 2014