So I'm going to Saint Augustine around New Years and decided to tag on a full day in Jacksonville, since I've never been to Jacksonville before and also I'll be leaving from Jacksonville's train station heading north to New York City. I'll be limited in my options not having a car, but based on my research I came up with a plan that appeals to me. My goal is to get a small sense of what Jacksonville is all about, whatever that happens to be.
I'll arrive late afternoon on January 2nd; I'm staying at the Wyndham Riverfront which is right across the river from downtown. I thought that evening I'd just cross the bridge by Skyway or foot and check out the downtown, maybe having supper at the Landing?
January 3rd: Full day: 1. Visit the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens. 2. Explore the homes of nearby Riverside/Avondale as well as Memorial Park and Riverside Park 3. See what Five Points is all about, the purported counter-culture (?) center of Jacksonville, stopping at a cafe or dining establishment. I've researched and it seems there is a trolley and city bus that goes to this area.
January 4th: Go to Jacksonville Beach in the morning by city bus, to enjoy walking (or biking if I find a rental place) alongside the beach before heading back to the frigid north. Have lunch, then head back to hotel to pick up luggage and move along.
Is there anything you think I should try to see in central Jacksonville that I've not included?
Best wishes, Daniel
Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 West Coast Bound End of March
- 2 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 3 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 4 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 5 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 6 Oahu ideas
- 7 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 8 Vacation rentals in Tucson
- 9 Key Largo, FL
- 10 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 11 Death Valley in June
- 12 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 13 Rodeo Near Tulsa or Woodward?
- 14 San Diego grocery stores
- 15 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 16 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 17 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 18 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 19 Southern California Dining Guide - 2014/2015
- 20 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 21 Nude Beaches- Positive or Negative Experience?
- 22 Buy GoPro Hero3
- 23 Down to three New York City hotels for December visit
- 24 Huntington Beach - hostels?
- 25 Roadtrip Across the Country