We are a family of 5 considering taking the overnight AMTRAK train from LA to Flagstaff, renting a car to explore the Grand Canyon, Sedona etc...for a few days and taking the train back. We would either get reserved coach seats or a family sleeper room (not sure if that is worth the extra $450 though). I'm a little wary about the whole train experience on AMTRAK though. The train ride is about 10 hours, so I am concerned about the comfort, cleanliness, food, ability to get some sleep etc, and also the ability to easily rent a car once we arrive in Flagstaff... Thanks for any input you may have!
Amtrak Southwest Chief - Los Angeles to Flagstaff
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 2 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 3 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 4 Dining in D.C.
- 5 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 6 Jersey City Parking
- 7 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 8 Washington DC Metro
- 9 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 10 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 11 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast
- 12 Little Bighorn Battlefield & Yellowstone
- 13 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 14 Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Death Valley
- 15 San Diego/Los Angeles Trip with Teens
- 16 Alaska cruise and land
- 17 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 18 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 19 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 20 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 21 NYC taxi vs car service
- 22 rain in Kauai
- 23 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 24 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 25 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?