We are a family of 5 considering taking the overnight AMTRAK train from LA to Flagstaff, renting a car to explore the Grand Canyon, Sedona etc...for a few days and taking the train back. We would either get reserved coach seats or a family sleeper room (not sure if that is worth the extra $450 though). I'm a little wary about the whole train experience on AMTRAK though. The train ride is about 10 hours, so I am concerned about the comfort, cleanliness, food, ability to get some sleep etc, and also the ability to easily rent a car once we arrive in Flagstaff... Thanks for any input you may have!
Amtrak Southwest Chief - Los Angeles to Flagstaff
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 2 Florida St George's Island
- 3 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 4 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 5 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 6 Washington DC in Spring?
- 7 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 8 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 9 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 10 Parking/shuttle near Midway
- 11 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 12 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 13 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 14 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 15 Weekend in NYC
- 16 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 17 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 18 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 19 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 20 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 21 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 22 Breckenridge in October
- 23 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 24 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC
- 25 Richmond highlights?