first of all, I'm Johannes from Germany and found this community while I was searching for more information about travelling the American West by RV. I've just registered and hope that you can help me.
We booked an RV from San Francisco to Las Vegas in July (End) and August. Our route contains the following main stops(so far): San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles, Calico, Bullhead City, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas.
There are many things I don't know about travelling the US by RV, but most important right now:
- We don't want to book all available RV campgrounds in advance because we're not sure yet where we want to stay for how long. We found many alternatives, for example: parking at Walmart or simply at the roadside. Is this possible? Can we travel this route this way, i.e. without any reserved campground?
The main problem is that we don't know any "best practices" and we would like to know what is possible before we arrive.
Many thanks in advance for your help..
Best regards, Johannes
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California road trip
- 2 WNY, Cleveland, and Niagara on the Lake
- 3 transportation from Plano TX to Norman OK
- 4 Grand Canyon in February?? Doable?
- 5 Florida with a 2 year old
- 6 West Virginia -the 49th state!
- 7 Tetons, Yellowstone help
- 8 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 9 Yellowstone NP planning questions
- 10 Boat Tour Suggestion in Kauai or Helicopter Instead?
- 11 Makana Charter Reviews in Kauai?
- 12 Montana from Salt Lake City: Help!
- 13 Holton Head, Amelia Island or ????
- 14 Four days in Maine for Anniversary & Birthday
- 15 Economical Restaurants in Oahu; Especially Waikiki
- 16 Solo Yosemite Lodging
- 17 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 18 ASAP Help w/San Fran to San Diego 12 day road trip with young kids
- 19 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 20 June 2018 cruise in SE Alaska
- 21 7 days in colorado
- 22 Which National Park summer 2018 with kids
- 23 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 24 Denver to Mesa Verde National Park
- 25 Please provide info on NYC Tenement Museum