first of all, I'm Johannes from Germany and found this community while I was searching for more information about travelling the American West by RV. I've just registered and hope that you can help me.
We booked an RV from San Francisco to Las Vegas in July (End) and August. Our route contains the following main stops(so far): San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles, Calico, Bullhead City, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas.
There are many things I don't know about travelling the US by RV, but most important right now:
- We don't want to book all available RV campgrounds in advance because we're not sure yet where we want to stay for how long. We found many alternatives, for example: parking at Walmart or simply at the roadside. Is this possible? Can we travel this route this way, i.e. without any reserved campground?
The main problem is that we don't know any "best practices" and we would like to know what is possible before we arrive.
Many thanks in advance for your help..
Best regards, Johannes
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yellowstone
- 2 Montana dude ranch recommendation
- 3 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 4 10 Year Anniversary Dinner in NYC
- 5 Towing a camper trailer during January
- 6 Any off site car rental agencies around JFK?
- 7 Summer mountains and lakes with kids
- 8 costco Big island
- 9 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 10 Napili in Maui with toddlers?
- 11 Which island for R&R?
- 12 VRBO is now charging renters a service fee--What's up?
- 13 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 14 Olympic NP w/toddler
- 15 Great trip to Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME
- 16 Scenic road trip northeast Pennsylvania to Charlotte
- 17 Your Favorite Restaurant in Annapolis
- 18 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 19 20th Anniversary NYC Fringe Festival
- 20 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 21 November redwoods trip
- 22 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver
- 23 1.5 Days in Boston with 3 little ones
- 24 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 25 NYC Airport transport (well, Newark)