first of all, I'm Johannes from Germany and found this community while I was searching for more information about travelling the American West by RV. I've just registered and hope that you can help me.
We booked an RV from San Francisco to Las Vegas in July (End) and August. Our route contains the following main stops(so far): San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles, Calico, Bullhead City, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas.
There are many things I don't know about travelling the US by RV, but most important right now:
- We don't want to book all available RV campgrounds in advance because we're not sure yet where we want to stay for how long. We found many alternatives, for example: parking at Walmart or simply at the roadside. Is this possible? Can we travel this route this way, i.e. without any reserved campground?
The main problem is that we don't know any "best practices" and we would like to know what is possible before we arrive.
Many thanks in advance for your help..
Best regards, Johannes
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving from Carmel to Incline Village on Wednesday
- 2 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 3 San Diego/La Jolla?
- 4 GRAND CIRCLE 1 week RV/Campervan
- 5 Empire Sate: best time; best vendor etcx
- 6 Camping Sites in and around NY
- 7 Who offers multi-island guided birding trips in Hawaii?
- 8 Yosemite Hike
- 9 Great eats Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
- 10 Thanksgiving Road trip California
- 11 New York City to New Orleans Itinerary
- 12 Day Trip from Chicago Suburbs with Kids
- 13 Road trip from D.C. to Maine
- 14 Across country drive
- 15 Traveling with an infant
- 16 philly to fredericksburg sat of memorial day wknd - bad idea?
- 17 Palm Springs, CA trip advice
- 18 bad traffic on 476 in PA memorial day weekend
- 19 Christmas at Grand Canyon
- 20 3rd Attempt - Road Trip Utah June 2016
- 21 2017 Yellowstone or bust
- 22 Houston to NYC Road Trip
- 23 St Louis
- 24 NYC - 10-day visit!!!
- 25 Nashville restaurants