first of all, I'm Johannes from Germany and found this community while I was searching for more information about travelling the American West by RV. I've just registered and hope that you can help me.
We booked an RV from San Francisco to Las Vegas in July (End) and August. Our route contains the following main stops(so far): San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles, Calico, Bullhead City, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas.
There are many things I don't know about travelling the US by RV, but most important right now:
- We don't want to book all available RV campgrounds in advance because we're not sure yet where we want to stay for how long. We found many alternatives, for example: parking at Walmart or simply at the roadside. Is this possible? Can we travel this route this way, i.e. without any reserved campground?
The main problem is that we don't know any "best practices" and we would like to know what is possible before we arrive.
Many thanks in advance for your help..
Best regards, Johannes
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yellowstone Hikes questions
- 2 Flowers and Berries in Oregon
- 3 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 4 Back from the Big Easy
- 5 Border crossing
- 6 NYC Girls' Weekend Trip Report
- 7 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 8 Cross country tips
- 9 Zion National Park Hikes and HOtels
- 10 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 11 Ideas for New York
- 12 Parka in PA during February?
- 13 Restaurants in the San Francisco area
- 14 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 15 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 16 Driving Alaska
- 17 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 18 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 19 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 20 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 21 Rental cars at Tampa cruiseport 3
- 22 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 23 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 24 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 25 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas