first of all, I'm Johannes from Germany and found this community while I was searching for more information about travelling the American West by RV. I've just registered and hope that you can help me.
We booked an RV from San Francisco to Las Vegas in July (End) and August. Our route contains the following main stops(so far): San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles, Calico, Bullhead City, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas.
There are many things I don't know about travelling the US by RV, but most important right now:
- We don't want to book all available RV campgrounds in advance because we're not sure yet where we want to stay for how long. We found many alternatives, for example: parking at Walmart or simply at the roadside. Is this possible? Can we travel this route this way, i.e. without any reserved campground?
The main problem is that we don't know any "best practices" and we would like to know what is possible before we arrive.
Many thanks in advance for your help..
Best regards, Johannes
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Late night eating in Kauai
- 2 Washington DC with kids
- 3 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 4 My road trip through southern US.
- 5 Sarasota, Florida, good value hotels
- 6 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 7 help from a true New Yorker.
- 8 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 9 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 10 Road trip from North Carolina to Maine
- 11 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 12 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 13 Safety Concerns
- 14 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 15 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 16 Alaska independent tour for group
- 17 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 18 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 19 5 days in Colorado
- 20 Trip to northern California
- 21 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 22 40th in Key West
- 23 Downtown Chicago
- 24 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 25 Alaska -public transport