We are looking at traveling with my parents, my kids (2 tweens and teen), my spouse and myself in late June 2014. My sibling and his wife and tween might be recruited as well.
I'm thinking a cruise could be good due to my dad's limited mobility. (Years ago, my parents did a small boat cruise in Alaska, but my dad now has mobility trouble (uses a cane, but can do stairs) and that that (together with budgetary factors) would preclude a small ship for all us.) Also, long drives are tough with one of my kids, who gets carsick easily.
My husband would like to go via Vancouver and ski Banff at the end of the season (end of June) before cruising.
None of us have ever done, or wanted to do, a big ship cruise vacation -- but it might make sense in Alaska (?). One or two of the kids would love it if there is an activity center for 12 year olds (the teen will not do that sort of thing). Sports courts and an indoor pool would be nice.
We would prefer not to be encouraged to overeat and overdrink at every opportunity.
So... maybe we could fly to Vancouver, go to Banff for 3 days of skiiing, return to Vancouver, and take a one-way cruise to Seward or Whittier? We'd thought maybe we'd want to go to Whittier and take a train to Denali but, having read older posts here, I realize that's too much travel time for too little sightseeing. We could sightsee around Seward, rent a car and drive to Anchorage, and fly home from there... or just do a loop back to Vancouver..
What cruise line would have accommodations for us? Due to schedule differences, I can't put any of the kids in a room with their grandparents. So, we would need a room that holds five -- are those just available on Disney (which only does roundtrip cruises)? -- or two rooms, one for 3 of us and one for 2 of us. Which works out cheaper? I cannot imagine sleeping in a room without a window - does anyone actually do this?
And, looking at availability - is it necessary to check all of the online vendors individually for various prices, or do the cruise lines match those through their web sites?
All thoughts welcome - thanks!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 SBCGLOBAL@Password Reset CONTACT 1:800 681 :7208 Techni* SUPP0RT
- 2 Visting a friend during layover
- 3 Day hikes in Yosemite for family of 4 (2 teens)
- 4 florida gulf coast
- 5 Alaska trip itinerary
- 6 Worthwhile in San Francisco
- 7 Must see places around Burlington, VT
- 8 Where to take mom for 70th birthday?
- 9 Road trip from San Diego to San Francisco with kids
- 10 Hotel Choice Chicago: Loop or Magnificent Mile?
- 11 Maine- Portland to Bar Habor Advice needed
- 12 How to eat cheaply in NY
- 13 Yosemite traffic worth it for 2-3 days?
- 14 Week of July 4th in Hamptons. First-timer, bday dinner...
- 15 Road trip advice needed please
- 16 Chicago restaurants
- 17 Willamette Valley to PDX--what are the options?
- 18 Roadtrip from Chicago to Philadelphia
- 19 6 Days in California - Advice Needed for first timer!
- 20 Yosemite vs. Yellowstone
- 21 Maine Lobster Rolls
- 22 Newark long term parking
- 23 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 24 Roadtrippin on Route 66
- 25 Help plan my trip please
Alaska with 3 t(w)eens, parents and grandparents - cruise ships? etc.