We are looking at traveling with my parents, my kids (2 tweens and teen), my spouse and myself in late June 2014. My sibling and his wife and tween might be recruited as well.
I'm thinking a cruise could be good due to my dad's limited mobility. (Years ago, my parents did a small boat cruise in Alaska, but my dad now has mobility trouble (uses a cane, but can do stairs) and that that (together with budgetary factors) would preclude a small ship for all us.) Also, long drives are tough with one of my kids, who gets carsick easily.
My husband would like to go via Vancouver and ski Banff at the end of the season (end of June) before cruising.
None of us have ever done, or wanted to do, a big ship cruise vacation -- but it might make sense in Alaska (?). One or two of the kids would love it if there is an activity center for 12 year olds (the teen will not do that sort of thing). Sports courts and an indoor pool would be nice.
We would prefer not to be encouraged to overeat and overdrink at every opportunity.
So... maybe we could fly to Vancouver, go to Banff for 3 days of skiiing, return to Vancouver, and take a one-way cruise to Seward or Whittier? We'd thought maybe we'd want to go to Whittier and take a train to Denali but, having read older posts here, I realize that's too much travel time for too little sightseeing. We could sightsee around Seward, rent a car and drive to Anchorage, and fly home from there... or just do a loop back to Vancouver..
What cruise line would have accommodations for us? Due to schedule differences, I can't put any of the kids in a room with their grandparents. So, we would need a room that holds five -- are those just available on Disney (which only does roundtrip cruises)? -- or two rooms, one for 3 of us and one for 2 of us. Which works out cheaper? I cannot imagine sleeping in a room without a window - does anyone actually do this?
And, looking at availability - is it necessary to check all of the online vendors individually for various prices, or do the cruise lines match those through their web sites?
All thoughts welcome - thanks!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Southern Jersey Turnpike area: hotel
- 2 Cross-Country trip advice
- 3 Hiking 'the wave'
- 4 Washington DC
- 5 Montross/Ouray in the rain. Also foliage
- 6 Finding Steve Perry
- 7 Pacific Northwest Food and Wine
- 8 Fall colours first 2 weeks of October Boston area
- 9 Chicago Stamina
- 10 Tksgiving trip Anacortes or Whidbey Island?
- 11 Trip report--Birmingham, Alabama
- 12 Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks
- 13 West Coast (San Francisco to San Diego) Road Trip
- 14 Trip Report - NYC Girls Weekend
- 15 las vegas anyone
- 16 Best Fall Foliage in NM and CO?
- 17 Hawaii: 3 islands
- 18 Wyoming and Dakotas National Parks
- 19 Any suggestions for the holidays 2016
- 20 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 21 Restaurant Help Needed
- 22 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Policy
- 23 Trip to visit our children in St Louis, MO and Little Rock, AR.
- 24 Best Culinary Tour in Charleston?
- 25 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October
Alaska with 3 t(w)eens, parents and grandparents - cruise ships? etc.