I am after your wise advice on the first daft of our planned trip to Alaska and Canada for 2013. On a previous post the suggestion was to visit Alaska during the last weeks of August then move onto The Rockies followed by Vancouver so at present I am sticking to that timeline.
Our little group will consist of two couples from Australia in our mid 50’s, we want to enjoy the scenery, wildlife, do some walking/hikes and just generally soak it all up.
I have read lots of posts and I think I have picked out the main areas to visit; now I am turning to you knowledgeable Fodorites to help me tweak this itinerary.
Here we go:
14 Aug - Arrive in Vancouver at 7.30am on Air Canada, luggage checked through to Prince Rupert so we can take the train into the City to spend the day. We have been to Vancouver before. Flight from YVR to Prince Rupert at 5.30pm arriving at 7.30pm.
15 Aug – Take the Alaska Marine Highway ferry at 7.45am arriving in Wrangell at 9.45pm. AHM staff have told me the schedule for 2013 will be out in Oct or Nov so I am assuming at this stage it won’t alter much, fingers crossed.
This will give us 4 nights, 3 full days to visit the Anan Bear Sanctuary and possibly a trip up the Stikine River with a day up our sleeves to allow for the weather.
19 Aug – Take the ferry at 11.15am overnight arriving in Juneau at 3.15pm on 20 Aug.
21 Aug – Juneau
22 Aug – Ferry or fly to Glacier Bay
23 Aug – Glacier Bay boat trip, fly late afternoon to Anchorage on Alaska Airlines (?)
24 Aug – Anchorage
25 Aug – Early pick of rental car, grab some food, drinks etc and drive to Denali. Stay for 3 nights, this allows for 2 full days.
28 Aug – Drive to Girdwood ?
29 Aug – Drive to Homer ?
30 Aug – Drive to Seward, stay two nights ? Kenai Fjords tour??
1 Sept – Drive to Anchorage, return car.
2 Sept – Fly Alaska Airlines 9.30am to Calgary arriving at 6.07pm
I think the main thing I am struggling with is the days after Denali. If we have been to Glacier Bay would the Kenai Fjords boat trip be too similar? Should we just spend more time in and around Juneau and delete Girdwood/Homer/Seward? We are really trying to avoid too many one nighters, would rather stay put in one place and tour but not sure if that is possible in Alaska as it’s so big! I have so many if’s and but’s going around in my head.
So there you have it, I will leave it in your hands now, I look forward to your suggestions.
Alaska 2013 - the first draft
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 2 Los Abrigados Sedona Arizona
- 3 Two 64 year old buddies on A week trip
- 4 Alexandria, VA Marriott Residence Inn et al
- 5 Denver 1 day in denver
- 6 San Francisco-Coventry Inn??
- 7 Vegas Hotels-NY,NY, MIrage, Vdara
- 8 Roundtop Texas Lodging
- 9 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 10 Vegas to Grand Canyon, Bryce and/or Zion Dilemmma!
- 11 Zion NP - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas
- 12 Burlington VT day trip
- 13 Scouting trip for possible move to SoCal -- advice on itin, please
- 14 Santa Barbara Itinerary Help Needed
- 15 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 16 A weekend in Boston area with Friends (including 2 teenagers)
- 17 Hiking, Horses, Having fun: Family Adventure in Yellowstone & Grand Teton
- 18 Need help planning trip to Atlanta, Alabama and then New Orleans
- 19 San Francisco - mid October
- 20 Part Three of an 18 Day RV trip - Seward
- 21 Vegas hotels for families
- 22 Keeping Hip-Chic At Bay: Seattle and A Couple Points South
- 23 Kayaking to Chinaman Hat/Kaneohe Bay Sandbar/offshore Islands in Dec?
- 24 Westin Portland Harborview or Residence Inn ... another downtown hotel?
- 25 Which cross-country route, I-40 or I-80?