I am after your wise advice on the first daft of our planned trip to Alaska and Canada for 2013. On a previous post the suggestion was to visit Alaska during the last weeks of August then move onto The Rockies followed by Vancouver so at present I am sticking to that timeline.
Our little group will consist of two couples from Australia in our mid 50’s, we want to enjoy the scenery, wildlife, do some walking/hikes and just generally soak it all up.
I have read lots of posts and I think I have picked out the main areas to visit; now I am turning to you knowledgeable Fodorites to help me tweak this itinerary.
Here we go:
14 Aug - Arrive in Vancouver at 7.30am on Air Canada, luggage checked through to Prince Rupert so we can take the train into the City to spend the day. We have been to Vancouver before. Flight from YVR to Prince Rupert at 5.30pm arriving at 7.30pm.
15 Aug – Take the Alaska Marine Highway ferry at 7.45am arriving in Wrangell at 9.45pm. AHM staff have told me the schedule for 2013 will be out in Oct or Nov so I am assuming at this stage it won’t alter much, fingers crossed.
This will give us 4 nights, 3 full days to visit the Anan Bear Sanctuary and possibly a trip up the Stikine River with a day up our sleeves to allow for the weather.
19 Aug – Take the ferry at 11.15am overnight arriving in Juneau at 3.15pm on 20 Aug.
21 Aug – Juneau
22 Aug – Ferry or fly to Glacier Bay
23 Aug – Glacier Bay boat trip, fly late afternoon to Anchorage on Alaska Airlines (?)
24 Aug – Anchorage
25 Aug – Early pick of rental car, grab some food, drinks etc and drive to Denali. Stay for 3 nights, this allows for 2 full days.
28 Aug – Drive to Girdwood ?
29 Aug – Drive to Homer ?
30 Aug – Drive to Seward, stay two nights ? Kenai Fjords tour??
1 Sept – Drive to Anchorage, return car.
2 Sept – Fly Alaska Airlines 9.30am to Calgary arriving at 6.07pm
I think the main thing I am struggling with is the days after Denali. If we have been to Glacier Bay would the Kenai Fjords boat trip be too similar? Should we just spend more time in and around Juneau and delete Girdwood/Homer/Seward? We are really trying to avoid too many one nighters, would rather stay put in one place and tour but not sure if that is possible in Alaska as it’s so big! I have so many if’s and but’s going around in my head.
So there you have it, I will leave it in your hands now, I look forward to your suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What should a foreigner know about the US?
- 2 Warren & Annbelle's Maui
- 3 Philadelphia PA: Safe Place/Watched Lot to Leave Car Near NYC Bus Depot
- 4 Budget hotel San Francisco
- 5 Budget NYC hotel
- 6 2.5 days in New York. Are hotels the only option?
- 7 Timeshare on Cape Cod
- 8 OUR MANHATTAN ADVENTURE 2015
- 9 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 10 Best place for first night; Beach?
- 11 San Francisco and Napa
- 12 Utah: Southern Parks Itinerary Help
- 13 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
- 14 Seattle to Los Angeles Dec 2015
- 15 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 16 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 17 Dry Tortugas, Ferry or SeaPlane
- 18 Vegas-Arizona-Utah road Trip
- 19 Miami to West Palm Beach tomorrow!
- 20 Modern, clean Miami Airport hotel ???
- 21 Relocating to the Deep South
- 22 Traveling to bend ore via hwy 5 fron SF in early January
- 23 Security at Lucas Oil Stadium for Big Ten Championship
- 24 Costco Chicken Salad Recalled
- 25 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!