My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 2 Angels Landing
- 3 Grieving Widow wants escape from Christmas
- 4 Road Trip from NJ TO SC
- 5 What should a foreigner know about the US?
- 6 First Time to California
- 7 San Francisco and Napa
- 8 San Diego on New Year's Eve
- 9 Driving to Yellowstone,Grand Teton and Glacier from MN
- 10 Oahu November 2015 Trip Report
- 11 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 12 Southern Utah - Need Hotel Reservations Last Week Of April?
- 13 California RV baby and child seats
- 14 How many days recommended for Williamsburg stay?
- 15 Is it Appropriate for Grandmother to Sing to Bar Mitzvah Boy?
- 16 Dependable Airport Hotel Shuttlebus
- 17 California & Arizona Itinerary
- 18 car rentals in San Diego
- 19 Hawaii in August w 6 year old boy
- 20 Denver/Breckenridge/Summit County
- 21 Suggestions for summer vacation near lake with dog
- 22 First time visit to California
- 23 San Diego Family Reunion Planning
- 24 NY State Assembly Internship
- 25 East coast & Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania