My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
- 1 Memorial day weekend drivable getaway from Jersey City, NJ
- 2 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 3 5 State memorial day round trip!
- 4 NYC
- 5 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 6 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 7 coast drive from Seattle to San Francisco
- 8 Albuquerque to Denver
- 9 10 days after cruise - Fort Lauderdale Fly out from LA?????
- 10 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 11 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 12 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 13 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 14 Boston three day trip report, with photos
- 15 Native American Tours/Tour Guides
- 16 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 17 What to see/do from north Texas area to SD (Mt. Rushmore area)
- 18 Help with NYC transit
- 19 Boston Area College Tour
- 20 Door County
- 21 Yosemite Falls Lodge in the park or Cedar Lodge w/ budget constraints
- 22 How far ahead to book Alcatraz?
- 23 What to do with extra day in Virginia?
- 24 Oregon & Washington: What are we missing, as we're big fans already?
- 25 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!