My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 2 Minneapolis Parking
- 3 scenic route from Estes Park to Salt Lake City
- 4 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 5 Hiking in Georgia - beautiful photos
- 6 Purchase of Florida Condo
- 7 Romantic destination in the US
- 8 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 9 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 10 New York in May - Dinner at Bouley,
- 11 which St. Louis neighborhood to base in, given these destinations?
- 12 Things to do in La Jolla
- 13 Best place to stay for Canyon de Chelly
- 14 family road trip
- 15 Alaska Trip Planning
- 16 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 17 NC or SC Beach Escape
- 18 Kid School Admission
- 19 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 20 Recommended Private Shuttle Service From JFK Airport to Long Island City
- 21 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 22 New York City-New Things?
- 23 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 24 SOS....Thunderstorms when we plan to visit NOLA
- 25 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do