My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 2 Seattle : Airport to Hotel best/economical transportation??
- 3 Cabo cancelled, so where shall 14 of us go for childless long wknd??
- 4 Tucson area flooding
- 5 Looking for Next Destination
- 6 Restaurant recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale
- 7 first time in AZ
- 8 Itinerary suggestions/advice for driving fr PAlto/Sequoia/GC/LV/Palo Alto
- 9 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 10 Edison Hotel or Holiday Inn Express manhattan midtown w
- 11 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 12 Eating at south Lake Tahoe
- 13 Need a Hampton Restaurant Suggestion
- 14 4 week family trip ideas
- 15 Las Vegas to San Francisco in October - best route
- 16 Staying at holiday inn express midtown manhattan
- 17 Trip Report - New York & Washington DC – May 30 – June 4, 2014
- 18 Dec / Jan in the USA- advice
- 19 New England Newbie - Help with 13 night itinerary - October
- 20 TripReport--10 Utah Circle
- 21 Relaxing Honeymoon Week
- 22 St. Simon, Georgia
- 23 Petoskey Fall Break?
- 24 Moving to New Jersey
- 25 Baltimore Inner Harbor to DC - without a car; with luggage - suggestions?