My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 2 Middle America in October
- 3 From Seattle airport to the city
- 4 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 5 New York City Christmas Trip
- 6 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 7 Craft Beer & Delicious Food in Vegas
- 8 visit to HIghLine
- 9 Please Recommend Florida Gulf Coast Beach Towns to Live
- 10 golf and fishing recommendations in Tampa area
- 11 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 12 Transportation from Newark to Midtown Hotel
- 13 Best route from Nashville to Panama City Beach Florida
- 14 Colorado Skiing
- 15 4 week family trip ideas
- 16 To San Francisco for 8 days
- 17 Martha's Vineyard Sailing
- 18 NYC Department Store Windows for Christmas - Ready, Set, Go
- 19 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 20 Help with the Itinerary - February 2015
- 21 attraction/tour ticket purchase
- 22 Accommodation New Orleans LA
- 23 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 24 Young Couple Needs Apartment Rental Advice in/around Orlando
- 25 Yellowstone in the winter?