My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where to Stay in Philly in April?
- 2 NYC - 10 Nights - Itinerary Feedback
- 3 Help PLS Philli or Boston
- 4 DC Cherry Blossoms 2017
- 5 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 6 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 7 Jersey shore town recommendation for July 4th weeekend
- 8 Where to stay in Glacier NP
- 9 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 10 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 11 family road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle
- 12 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 13 Family spring break destinations on the N.E. coast
- 14 San Diego to Vancouver in 14 Days
- 15 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 16 Summer trip
- 17 How many states have you been to?
- 18 Gros Ventre campsite availability mid Sept
- 19 Florida keys trip
- 20 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 21 Route Planning for East USA
- 22 Italian Food, Palm Desert
- 23 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 24 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 25 New Yorkers...I have a subway construction question for you...