My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 2 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 3 "Off the beaten path" road trip from Vail, CO
- 4 Aussies' USA "White Xmas" 2013/14 Trip Report
- 5 Visiting Paso Robles wine country
- 6 Backpacking in April
- 7 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 8 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 9 replica designer handbags
- 10 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 11 First family ski trip
- 12 San Diego parks and attractions
- 13 Cape Cod in early April
- 14 USA with a 3 year old
- 15 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 16 united and carry-ons
- 17 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 18 Portland Maine Hotels
- 19 Help choosing Chicago hotel
- 20 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 21 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 22 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 23 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 24 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 25 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!