My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ben Landa
- 2 Priceline: bid for walkable to Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio. Possible?
- 3 December 2014 travel. Family w/young adults
- 4 First trip to Seattle, WA - what should my "musts" be?
- 5 Eating at south Lake Tahoe
- 6 Tucson area flooding
- 7 Road Trip: Niagara to New York Via Vermont
- 8 Storing luggage in Manhattan for a few hours
- 9 Restaurant recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale
- 10 California
- 11 lunch in Boulder CO TODAY!!
- 12 Christmas in TX
- 13 San Diego locals-can you advise?
- 14 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 15 Looking For Warm Vacation Spot for December in US With 16 Months Old
- 16 Oregon Road Trip
- 17 Long Island Advice
- 18 Colorado aspen updates
- 19 Georgetown Washington DC Historic row houses along C&O Canal?
- 20 Yellowstone and Tetons in a Flash
- 21 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 22 Palm Desert California recommendations for dining
- 23 TripReport--10 Utah Circle
- 24 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 25 Lunch near 254 west 54th st.