My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where to Spend Two Weeks in Florida in February
- 2 Steamboat in August
- 3 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 4 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 5 Zion and Bryce in July
- 6 Desert Southwest
- 7 Portland, Oregon, hotel: downtown or waterfront?
- 8 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 9 OBX Corolla vs Nags Head as a Base for Sight Seeing?
- 10 A Gem of a Restaurant in Long Beach, CA
- 11 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 12 Northern California Fall itinerary help
- 13 Five nights in Yellowstone: Where to stay?
- 14 Lake Tahoe or ?
- 15 Grand Canyon From Phoenix
- 16 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 17 JFK-connection
- 18 Extended weekend beach get away
- 19 Reagan Library
- 20 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 21 Even Disney isn't Disney anymore
- 22 Southern history- walkable cities
- 23 Scenic mountain views near Spokane
- 24 Any Cheaper way to fly into Jackson Hole?
- 25 New Software