My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 2 The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip
- 3 Dallas airport to bush library
- 4 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 5 Self parking hotel in Philly
- 6 Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park - Hawaii
- 7 Going from Friday Harbor, San Juan Island to Lake Crescent
- 8 Trip Report - Quick Trip to Hyannis - August 2017
- 9 wyoming, south dakota trip
- 10 Providence RI Waterfire
- 11 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 12 Restaurant recommendations in falmouth/mashpee, ma area
- 13 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
- 14 Charlottesville & NC BBQ Trip Report
- 15 Restaurant Recommendations for Queens/Brooklyn/Williamsburgl
- 16 New England Foliage Peeping Trip - Oct 4 to 8th
- 17 (Healing?) Retreat in Sedona, Az?
- 18 Orlando Baggage Storage
- 19 how much time to visit pedestal at Statue of Liberty
- 20 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 21 Arches or Zion?
- 22 Looking to move from North Carolina to Colorado
- 23 Richmond Virginia And Poe
- 24 Chicago to Denver or Rapid City
- 25 time to visit statue