My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 MN lake home rental needed
- 2 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 3 Sequoia/Redwoods Large Group Lodging
- 4 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 5 Chinese restaurants in D.C.?
- 6 Forbes Island Restaurant Question
- 7 Charleston - how long to stay?
- 8 November redwoods trip
- 9 San Diego Sunset or La Jolla
- 10 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 11 Chicago marathon - Leaving hotel to MDW
- 12 blue ridge parkway?
- 13 Esta "Not Authorized to Travel"
- 14 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 15 Spring Break trip to National Park
- 16 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 17 Wedding gifts?
- 18 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 19 Trip to Vegas/GC/LA - need advice pleasd
- 20 Moab Tenting end of Oct?
- 21 NYC lodging help needed for Oct 12-15
- 22 Seattle Ho
- 23 Making the Most of a few days in Silicon Valley
- 24 SF Area - Fall Family Trip
- 25 California trip .. some guidance needed