My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Las Vegas for a second timer
- 2 4 Days in LV
- 3 SF to Monterey to Yosemite
- 4 Best Colorado City?: hot summers, mild winters
- 5 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 6 One day in Dallas
- 7 16 Days Utah National Parks
- 8 Digital Camera Recommendation
- 9 Biloxi Suggestions
- 10 5 Things Not to Miss in NYC?
- 11 Philadelphia hotels near public transportation but not in city center
- 12 Michigan advice needed
- 13 louisiana bayou
- 14 Acadia National Park/New England States
- 15 New England Road Trip- RI, MA, NH, ME
- 16 Seattle to San Francisco 3 weeks
- 17 Help with parking at Staten Island ferry
- 18 Visiting NYC - stay in Herlem or Jersey City?
- 19 October in Colorado
- 20 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 21 Yosemite Valley showers
- 22 Taos area Spa or Resort Hotels
- 23 Yellowstone in the Winter
- 24 LegoLand Florida
- 25 Casual dinner in the theater district