My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 week family trip ideas
- 2 Washington DC in Spring?
- 3 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 4 DC in Dec-Restaurant ideas near Hilton Mark Alexandria
- 5 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 6 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 7 Looking for Next Destination
- 8 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 9 Arches National Park in a day
- 10 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 11 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 12 Broadway this week
- 13 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 14 Union Square area restaurant
- 15 Packer game hotel on the bus line.
- 16 What to do x5 days after Disneyworld for couple w/no kids.
- 17 Transportation: Clearwater airport to the coast
- 18 Need good hotel for couple with teen daughter for 2 nights: shopping, plays, not over $600. Which???
- 19 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 20 Richmond highlights?
- 21 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 22 Weekend in NYC
- 23 Accommodations in Floriday keys
- 24 Booked our NYC hotel (thanks!), would like restaurant recommendations!
- 25 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!