My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Virginia!
- 1 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 2 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 3 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 4 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 5 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 6 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 7 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 8 RIP Judy Rogers
- 9 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 10 Road trip across the USA - looking for suggestions.
- 11 Boston area
- 12 Savanah Sojourn
- 13 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 14 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 15 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 16 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 17 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 18 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 19 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 20 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 21 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 22 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 23 Creating restaurant list for San Francisco - new ones??
- 24 Seniors need help with itinerary for grandkids!
- 25 Warm and don't Drive