My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Virginia, around early spring and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Virginia. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order (I have been to D.C. though may stop in):
• Arlington Cemetry
• Mount Vernon
• Charlottesville (Monticello/Uni VA)
• James River Plantations
• Jamestown/Yorktown/Colonial Williamsburgh
• Shandoah NP
So what do you think? What am I missing?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Virginia… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 2 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 3 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 4 Chicago to Charleston
- 5 How many states have you been to?
- 6 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 7 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 8 Honeymoon out west.
- 9 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 10 USA, Trip to the south
- 11 Comment Needed: 22 Days - West Cost (California & LV)
- 12 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 13 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 14 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 15 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 16 Retiring to Tucson
- 17 Trip Report: Charleston, Vero Beach, Beaufort
- 18 SD card usage in multiple devices and formatting
- 19 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 20 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 21 Big Sure in June
- 22 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 23 Santa Fe Itineray
- 24 Roadtrip July 2017
- 25 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?