My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 2 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 3 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 4 Skagway
- 5 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 6 family road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle
- 7 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 8 Gros Ventre campsite availability mid Sept
- 9 Honeymoon out west.
- 10 Guest Ranch - Montana/Wyoming
- 11 Chicago to Charleston
- 12 Retiring in NM?
- 13 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 14 Route Planning for East USA
- 15 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 16 Utah National Parks visit
- 17 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 18 Dallas for the first time. Rent car? Activities?
- 19 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 20 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine
- 21 universal studios and disney
- 22 Visit to St. Simons Island, Georgia
- 23 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 24 How many states have you been to?
- 25 Quick Trip to D.C. In April