My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 2 Maine
- 3 2nd attempt - Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 4 Restaurants close to King's Station?
- 5 Santa Barbara/Ojai?
- 6 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 7 Road trip from Albuquerque to Grand Canyon to Phoenix in February or March
- 8 Back From Alaska
- 9 Pacific coast road trip
- 10 December trip to see snow
- 11 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 12 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 13 Driving from south Florida to San Diego late September...where to stop?
- 14 Dining and wining in Dallas
- 15 Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- 16 Senior Travel Helper
- 17 your favorite city USA?
- 18 Help with VT/NH driving trip in October
- 19 Source of Legionnaire's Disease in NYC Confirmed
- 20 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 21 WestInn Times Sq. eating and transport options please
- 22 Help with driving East to West
- 23 ogunquit or kennenukport
- 24 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 25 Cab from Newark to West Windsor NJ.