My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Beaches in Incline Village
- 2 USA Trip in 4 Weeks
- 3 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 4 Coffee in Boston?
- 5 Trip to USA in July
- 6 Key West luxury hotels
- 7 Has anyone rent US travel WiFi before?
- 8 Florida vacation
- 9 Best Place to Stay in South Beach
- 10 iMold US Water Damage & Mold Removal Service
- 11 Best route to tour most of Michigan-Help!
- 12 sight seeing Las Vegas to Palm Springs to Sante Fe
- 13 LV off strip hotels with shuttles to strip
- 14 Scenic vistas along the road the big island Hawaii
- 15 Where's best place to stay near volcano big island besides volcano house?
- 16 Spring Break National Park Visit
- 17 I95
- 18 Florida keys trip
- 19 LAX Time Between Terminals
- 20 Wine Country
- 21 New York City - Wasington February 2017
- 22 South Beach Miami dance clubs for people in their 30s and 40s
- 23 Comment Needed: 22 Days - West Cost (California & LV)
- 24 10 days in California. What should I hit?
- 25 Nashville Never Been