My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Texas
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Signal Mountain Lodge, Gardiner and Bozeman
- 2 MA to FL on Thanksgiving Day
- 3 Low Country Honor Flight to Washington DC
- 4 Question About Sealodge
- 5 Broadway choices
- 6 Hawaii: Multi-generational family vacation
- 7 San Francisco vs. San Diego
- 8 Don't rent from Avis Car Rental
- 9 Baltimore Inner Harbor to DC - without a car; with luggage - suggestions?
- 10 5 Day Trip to New York in October
- 11 Worst Restaurants in America
- 12 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 13 Door County or New Glarus, Wis visit 4th weekend in Oct 2014?
- 14 Fairbanks Alaska
- 15 Safe for female travelling alone to Alaska in early November?
- 16 Long Weekend In Austin, Texas
- 17 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 18 Yosemite Lodging
- 19 Colorado aspen updates
- 20 Museum of Arts and Design, NYC
- 21 Trip Report - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons National Parks - July 18-25, 2014
- 22 Kauai and Molokai or Kauai and Maui for 10 days?
- 23 Road Trip in January - New Orleans to Lexington
- 24 Getaway
- 25 New England Skiing