My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 2 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 3 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 4 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 5 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 6 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 7 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 8 Phone SIM
- 9 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 10 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
- 11 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 12 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 13 Savanah Sojourn
- 14 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 15 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 16 San Francisco - Best place to see street art
- 17 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 18 Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands Trip Report
- 19 Driving from San Francisco Airport to San Rafael
- 20 Newark to Paris
- 21 A June trip to Kauai
- 22 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 23 ONE DY ONE NIGHT IN LA
- 24 Avoiding Los Angeles Traffic
- 25 Transit Advisory July 4, 2016 Local Transit will be on a hoilday schedule