My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Need help: itinerary from Kansas City to Yellowstone and back
- 2 Honeymoon Suggestions
- 3 Florida Family vacation in California
- 4 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 5 Trip Report - San Francisco advise for 1st timers like us!!
- 6 Kayaking at Old Forge, NY
- 7 San Francisco California
- 8 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 9 Miami and New Orleans
- 10 Louisville in December
- 11 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 12 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 13 Restaurant near Dana on the bay San Diego
- 14 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 15 Grocery Shopping in Maui - is Costco worth the stop?
- 16 United Nations tours
- 17 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 18 September Road Trip in New England
- 19 NYC with 8 yr old
- 20 Restaurants in Sanibel/Captiva
- 21 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 22 Yosemite and Sequoia
- 23 Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian for first time Disneyland visit
- 24 TR: Washington and Gettysburg in 4 Nights
- 25 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day