My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Texas
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 10 days in Big Island and Kauai
- 2 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 3 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 4 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 5 Netrate Concepts-Hotel Pricing?
- 6 New York City Borough Walking: Where for Diverse Flavorful Neighborhoods?
- 7 Please advise: Mobile Natchez Nola or Mobile Nola Natchez Nola?
- 8 Best way to drive from Newport RI to Salem MA?
- 9 YNP, GT and Driggs 10 day trip 8/13-8/22 - great time was had by all!
- 10 4th thread on East Coast trip.
- 11 Sunitoomas - stop shilling for that company
- 12 Tour companies
- 13 New York - October with 7 yr old
- 14 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 15 Honeymoon roadtrip SF-Seattle
- 16 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 17 Argentinians in NYC!!
- 18 Nashville - Where to stay that's in the middle of it all?
- 19 Quick Trip to NYC
- 20 Marco Island, Florida-- Itinerary and Restaurant Suggestions?
- 21 Need advise : Driving to Sequoia then to Las Vegas
- 22 Something to do besides drink wine in Sonoma.
- 23 Panama City beach or other suggestion
- 24 East Coast trip in 11 full days.
- 25 Autumn trip in in the Northeast United States