My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Texas
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 2 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 3 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 4 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 5 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 6 Cape Cod in early April
- 7 united and carry-ons
- 8 USA with a 3 year old
- 9 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 10 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 11 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 12 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 13 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 14 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 15 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 16 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 17 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 18 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 19 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 20 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 21 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 22 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 23 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 24 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 25 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver