My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Texas
- 1 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 2 San Antonio
- 3 Zion or Death Valley for 2 days in December?
- 4 Vero Beach FL
- 5 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 6 Spending a week in Palm Springs in February
- 7 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 8 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 9 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 10 Question about Boulder area
- 11 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 12 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 13 Christmas Holidays in Arizona
- 14 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 15 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 16 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question
- 17 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 18 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 19 Sightseeing and restaurants in LA
- 20 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 21 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 22 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 23 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 24 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 25 visiting Arizona area for 18 days from May19th 2014