My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Texas
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 2 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 3 Bienville Hotel or Le Marais in New Orleans French Quarter
- 4 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 5 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 6 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 7 Beachfront house rental - Fort Walton Beach/ Destin area
- 8 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 9 Seattle: Something Different?
- 10 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 11 Park City ideas
- 12 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 13 5 days and 4 nights outside of San Francisco
- 14 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 15 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 16 NYC Clubs for live music
- 17 ONP-San Juan Islds or Victoria-Seattle - what's best itinerary for 8 days?
- 18 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 19 Poss. Itinerary for Aug. Portland to San Fran family vacay - TIPS PLEASE
- 20 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 21 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?
- 22 ONP help
- 23 California road trip
- 24 Bar Harbor Maine to Boston
- 25 Mountain hiking in the US for kids - Fall/Spring . . .