My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Tennessee and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Tennessee from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in no kind of order:
• Shiloh Nat BF
• Great Smokies NP
So what do you think? What am I missing? I know we dont have Knoxville and Chattanooga on this list yet but (no disresepct) i wasn't sure if they were worth a stop given the limitations of time and scope of a US roadtrip. Is there any small towns that are a must to stop and have a look around in?
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a giant USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Tennessee… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Washington DC: your favorite part of your visit
- 2 Casual dinner in the theater district
- 3 Drive time from Lynwood to CenturyLink Field
- 4 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 5 New Orleans logistics
- 6 Western U.S. Road trip
- 7 First Trip to New Orleans
- 8 North Fork Vineyards/ Greenport Long Island trip planning
- 9 North Carolina Coast
- 10 Places to visit with a one year old between MA and WV.
- 11 hawaii location for young couple needed
- 12 Mt Rushmore/Badlands late March?
- 13 Wildlife hike in Colorado Springs
- 14 Family trip to Arizona/Utah National Parks
- 15 Trip to Colorado in one week, RMNP
- 16 shopping with teenager in D, C.
- 17 Seattle plus: San Juan Island, Victoria, or Vancouver?
- 18 16 Days Utah National Parks
- 19 Aspen, Vail, Summit CO, RMNP Trip report - long
- 20 San Antonio area - thinking of you
- 21 Returned from Sedona
- 22 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 23 TRYP Hotel in NYC?
- 24 Driving from Seattle to San Deigo
- 25 Magazine St. and Garden District favorites