Looking for advice from the experts here!
My family is going to New York City next week! My family consists of me, my husband and 2 teenagers. My husband has been to NYC on business but has never really gotten a chance to see anything. I have been to NYC only twice: 1. in 1976, we saw the statue of liberty and the outside of the UN building 2. around 1987/1988 during the garbage strike which was for business and I didn't get see anything but piles of garbage.
So after reading the forums and consulting the family, I have come up with a tentative plan. I want to know if I am planning to much on certain days or too little. Also any restaurant recommendations near our hotel and any other activities that people recommend.
Oh, also, both of my kids have allergies. My son is allergic to dairy and has a sensitivty to gluten. My daughter is allergic to dairy. Both kids like chinese, thai, and seafood. Also both like most meats but sandwiches are not great because of my son. Looking for good food at reasonable prices.
so here goes:
Staying at the Marriott Fairfield Inn Manhattan/Times Square, 30 West 40th Street , NYC
(we used Marriott points for this)
Friday June 1st
Arriving into JFK around 11 am
(should we book a town car or take a cab?)
Plan to check into hotel and wander Times Square area.
Kids want to go to NBC store, FAO, Toys R US (for the ferris wheel) and Nintendo store.
Should we do that or plan something else that I have for different day?
Have tickets to Phantom of Opera that night. Ideas on where to eat?
Saturday June 2nd
Thinking about doing a Free Tour by Foot (Soho, Chinatown tour) 10 am
The kids like street markets. Are there any on Saturdays?
Museum of natural history for the afternoon ( mainly for the dinosaurs). Not sure about this because I think that kids will want to spend some time in Chinatown but we could always return later.
Harvey tickets for tonight!
I have booked a 10am Statue of Liberty tour. Plan to arrive by 9:15 - too early or too late? I have my tickets printed out.
Then I have World Trade Center memorial tickets for 5:30 pm.
No theatre for tonight. Any ideas for dinner and after dinner?
Trip to Hoboken, NJ to see Cake Boss store
(yeah, I know that there are other great bakeries but daughter REALLY wants to go here)
Maybe an afternoon Free by Foot tour of Greenwich Village or Harlem?
I saw that Taste of Times Square is going on. Planning on doing that for dinner.
Have tickets to Nice Work if You Can Get It for tonight
Tuesday (last full day)
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Wander through Central Park ??
No tickets for theater tonight but might look at the discount ticket booth.
Leave at 2 pm from Newark
Best ideas on transportation?
Any items above can be moved around (except ticketed items). Should we get a weekly metro ticket?
Other things that we would like to do:
1. my daughter would love to shop some clothing stores that are not chain stores. Of course, we would be looking for discount merchandise since money is tight.
2. Chelsea market and high line
3. Discount t-shirts??
4. My daughter would love to see a celebrity. Also would consider a movie/tv location tour?
Thanks for any and all advice!
Advice Needed on NYC itinerary
Looking for advice from the experts here!
- 1 Kennebunkport Restaurants
- 2 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 3 Albuquerque to Denver
- 4 Muir Woods from SF, then to Carmel - best plan?
- 5 NYC
- 6 When will the WTC musuem in NYC open?
- 7 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 8 Dulles Airport to Baltimore hotel
- 9 5 State memorial day round trip!
- 10 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 11 Honeymoon to Kauai and Maui from the East Coast
- 12 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 13 Whislter or Rocky Mountain?
- 14 Road trip New Jersey to Montana
- 15 Michigan Beaches
- 16 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 17 How far ahead to book Alcatraz?
- 18 Can Foodies Overcome the Flu in Honolulu? A March 2013 Oahu TR...
- 19 coast drive from Seattle to San Francisco
- 20 Memorial day weekend drivable getaway from Jersey City, NJ
- 21 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 22 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 23 10 days after cruise - Fort Lauderdale Fly out from LA?????
- 24 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 25 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone