We are leaving for Naples, FL in a week for a 7 day stay. Travelling with my DH and 2 kids (9 & 11) and would like some advice on what there is to see and do. We plan to spend plenty of time at the beach, but will have lots of time to explore - we'll have a car. I was thinking an airboat tour of the Everglades would be fun (although expensive). What else should we plan on seeing/doing? We'll be staying in a condo and will be preparing some meals there to conserve costs, but will dine out on occasion. Are there some great casual dining places that are a must (or must-miss)?
Following Naples, we will be heading to LA where we will spend a little time with relatives and then take the kids to New Orleans. We will have the afternoon and evening on a Friday and all day Saturday to spend in the French Quarter before flying out on Sunday morning. I have booked a room for us in the FQ at Chateau Hotel because it seems to be very conveniently located and the price was good. Reviews on it seem to be a little mixed, so I am crossing my fingers that it will be fine for such a short stay. I don't expect we'll be there much except for a swim at the end of the day before dinner and then to sleep.
I've only been to NOLA once before, but my husband grew up nearby. His priorities seem to be mostly cajun/creole food and wants to go to Cafe Maspero for muffaletta and Cafe du Monde for chicory coffee and beingnets. Where else shall we dine? I am looking for casual places in the quarter - not fine dining. Mostly inexpensive to moderate pricing. Since we'll be there such a short time, we want to make each meal a great NOLA food experience. Any thoughts on Hermes Bar and Remoulade? Mr. B's?
Any advice on some must-do activities with the kids? I've only really planned on wandering around the French market, Jackson Square (and surrounding buildings), and the kids have shown interest in the Voodoo Museum.
We are all very excited about the trip! I appreciate any advice and suggestions! TIA!
Advice: Naples, FL & New Orleans, LA Trip with kids (mid-June)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Is it a good idea to stay near LAX?
- 2 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 3 New York City Restaurants
- 4 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 5 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 6 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 7 Buying African Masks in Chicago, New York City or Atlanta
- 8 Maui vacation
- 9 Hotel to stay before Channel Islands
- 10 Brooklyn why?
- 11 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 12 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 13 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 14 Valdez (keystone canyon falls)? Matanuska? and other itinerary help
- 15 Boston to PEI: Where would YOU stop over?
- 16 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 17 Trip to Portland and Oregon Wine Tour
- 18 NYC over Memorial Day Weekend 2014
- 19 WISCONSIN
- 20 Road trip from Nashville to Dallas
- 21 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 22 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 23 Yellowstone Lodging in October
- 24 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 25 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!