We will be in Syracuse for a friend's birthday, and were thinking of taking a day and driving over into the Adirondacks (we have never been in this area of the country before). We figure that if we really like the Adirondacks, that we could go back sometime when we have more time. The question is whether we would be able to see much in a 12 hour trip, or if we are better off to just forget it until the next time? We were not really figuring on doing a lot of hiking or other nature activities, just thought that we would like to get somewhat of an overview of the area. We really don't mind driving a lot, as long as the scenery is pretty. We actually drove the west coast (Big Sur area) a couple of times before we actually took the time to go back and explore the area, and always enjoyed the drive through. We thought that maybe we could drive over to Saratoga Springs and then up to Lake George (Mapquest list it as 169 milles and about 3 hours, befor stops). Or maybe over to Old Forge (96 miles,2 hours) and then up to the visitor's center in Newcomb. The drive to Lake Placid is 195 miles and about a 4 hour drive. Any thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 2 Tipping advice
- 3 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 4 Napa/Sonoma hotel confusion...please help
- 5 Key West Hotel in January
- 6 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 7 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 8 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 9 Calf trip
- 10 New Orleans Trip Report - Dec. 2014
- 11 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 12 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 13 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 14 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 15 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 16 4 week family trip ideas
- 17 x mas
- 18 Trip to Niagara Falls
- 19 Florida in between stop 2 days after Key Largo towards St.pete
- 20 Help me plan a trip to Nashville and Memphis.
- 21 Restaurant in NYC advice
- 22 ny ers now living in nc taking their kids to nyc for first time
- 23 Uber and Airbnb-Insurance and Credentials
- 24 Marriott Marquis San Francisco
- 25 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA