We will be in Syracuse for a friend's birthday, and were thinking of taking a day and driving over into the Adirondacks (we have never been in this area of the country before). We figure that if we really like the Adirondacks, that we could go back sometime when we have more time. The question is whether we would be able to see much in a 12 hour trip, or if we are better off to just forget it until the next time? We were not really figuring on doing a lot of hiking or other nature activities, just thought that we would like to get somewhat of an overview of the area. We really don't mind driving a lot, as long as the scenery is pretty. We actually drove the west coast (Big Sur area) a couple of times before we actually took the time to go back and explore the area, and always enjoyed the drive through. We thought that maybe we could drive over to Saratoga Springs and then up to Lake George (Mapquest list it as 169 milles and about 3 hours, befor stops). Or maybe over to Old Forge (96 miles,2 hours) and then up to the visitor's center in Newcomb. The drive to Lake Placid is 195 miles and about a 4 hour drive. Any thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 2 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 3 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 4 Colorado in the summer!
- 5 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 6 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 7 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 8 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 9 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 10 Cab Cost from McCarren to Venetian Hotel?
- 11 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 12 Brooklyn why?
- 13 Yellowstone Lodging in October
- 14 NYC over Memorial Day Weekend 2014
- 15 Florida--single woman seeks best beaches for swimming and
- 16 Kennedy Space Center
- 17 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 18 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 19 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 20 5 week in US/Mexico
- 21 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 22 John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
- 23 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 24 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 25 Book ahead for weekends this spring in Asheville, NC