My Lady Wife and I visited Charleston this week for an anniversary present to ourselves.
We stayed at
No. 4 Unity Alley B&B Very nice accommodations. Large A/C room with a jacuzzi tub. The public areas are nicely furnished. Breakfast was good.
(Unity alley is very narrow. You won't be able to get a large car or van in.)
We ate at
SNOB for lunch. (http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/slightlynorthofbroad/ )
Pleasant room, VG service, VVG cooking.
I had the shrimp & grits w/andouille sausage. My Lady had the crab salad.
The grits were excellent.
The Peninsula Grill for dinner (http://peninsulagrill.com/ )
Located in the Planters Inn, it is easy to walk by it.
Very nice room, tastefully furnished. Excellent service. Very good cooking. VG bar.
The couple next to us ordered the coconut cake for dessert. It came. She said "Oh my God"! It was 8 layers high.
Circa 1886 (http://circa1886.com/)
It is on the grounds of the Wentworth Mansion, which has been renovated and made into a boutique hotel.
Very pleasant decor and ambience. Attentive, pleasant and friendly staff.
My Lady Wife had the smoked Salmon appetizer, the scallops for a main and the "Key Lime Pie". All VVG.
(The KLP is a deconstructed arrangement of cheesecake filling, Bavarian creme and housemade Key Lime curd)
I had the Tasting menu with wine pairings:
62.5 ̊ Farm Egg over Faro, which I didn't think I would like, was delicious.
Roasted Arctic char (Quite good) was followed by pleasant salad greens.
The main offering was charcoal grilled Antelope, which was only VG. I think that a longer marinating would have made it Excellent.
Dessert was a roasted banana souffle.
The wines were nicely chosen - middle-of-the-menu American (mostly West coast) - with a very good ruby Port at the finish.
The desserts were inscribed "Happy Anniversary".
Lovely Anniversary dinner.
Charleston Grill (http://www.charlestongrill.com/web/chasgrill/index.html#home )
A "see and be seen" place, which was not crowded on a Tuesday night.
We agreed that it rates a Michelin Star.
The Jazz ensemble was a bit too loud, but otherwise everything was top notch.
The menu is arranged as four Themes, from which one can order vertically, horizontally or at random.
Roberta ordered vertically:
Spring Onion & Potato Soup
Grilled Wild Salmon
I ordered horizontally:
Ricotta & Iberico Ham
Fried Bandera Quail
Everything was well prepared, well plated and well served.
Very highly recommended.
Middleton Place Plantation (https://www.middletonplace.org/)
Charleston is more convivial and less snobbish than the last time we visited - 1989.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://supplementplatform.com/1hydro-pro/
- 2 Denali
- 3 Moving to Florida from Oregon
- 4 http://maleenhancementshop.info/muscle-boost-x/
- 5 http://www.healthsupreviews.com/ion-z/
- 6 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 7 http://www.topwellnesspro.com/muscle-boost-x/
- 8 washington-blueridge parkway-myrtle beach
- 9 Are you looking Clipping Path Service?
- 10 Seaside, California
- 11 Are you looking Online Site for Dubai Car?
- 12 http://www.healthytalkzone.com/muscle-boost-x/
- 13 JFK Terminal 8
- 14 Maine in May?
- 15 Living room should have easy access to the sunshine.
- 16 http://www.supplement4choice.com/dermagieo-serum/
- 17 Are you looking Root of Success?
- 18 http://goldenhealthcenters.com/testx-core/
- 19 http://intelligentadvices.com/1TAC-MILITARY/
- 20 Are you looking Best polling result?
- 21 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 22 Dinner Cruise down San Antonio River?
- 23 Harpers Ferry weekend
- 24 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (Oct 2016)
- 25 Seattle, Las Vegas and Salt Lake