My 17-yr old grandson from Tucson is visiting this part of the world, and we took him to see the Atlantic Ocean.
His first site of a really large body of water.
He thought that it was "really big - cool".
We stayed at the Best Western Plus on Bay Street. Recently renovated. Conveniently located. Good staff. Nice bkfst. Ask for a room facing the back if you are a light sleeper. Truck traffic on Bay St starts up about 07:00. AARP rate of $90 per night for 2 w/bkfst and parking fee.
There is a Quality Inn next door that isn't quite as nice, but acceptable, for a few dollars more.
Dinner at the Sapphire Grill - Excellent.
I had the Chef's Vegetable Tasting Table for $29.
Course 1 - two bundles of asparagus accompanied by carrots and other seasonal vegetables wrapped together in a zucchini slice.
Course 2 - Grilled vegetables accompanied by a melange of potato, tomato and peppers in a Mediterranean sauce.
Course 3 - a cocotte of forest mushrooms in a cream sauce topped with a puff pastry.
In place of dessert, I had the cheese/fruit offering at $14.
A generous serving of Chevre and another of warm Manchego topped with walnuts. The fruits were bite-size rectangles of Jicama, Grapes and Blueberries. A basket of two kinds of bread - slices of grilled white and walnut came with the plate.
My Lady Wife had the crab appetizer - a generous serving - for the main course and a vanilla ice cream with a glass of white Creme de Menthe.
With a bottle of a 2010 Aligote (very nice) and coffee - $125 + tip.
For Angophiles who aren't too, too fussy about authenticity.
This is a very nice place. Dining is in three rooms separated from the bar area, which can get to be quite noisy.
2 fixed price at $19.99
Artichoke and spinach dip/ Onion soup
Grilled Salmon in a white sauce with veggies/ Shepherd's pie.
Vanilla ice cream (very generous scoops)/Bread pudding
1 Portobello Panino (They call it panini, but you get only one) with French Fries (chips).
The dip came with some sort of corn chip, which if it is authentically British makes one sad for our cousins across the water. Otherwise, everything was very nice.
The best part of the meal, however, was the beer.
Sea Jay's crab shack on Jekyll island.
The oysters were OK.
The crab cakes were not.
This visit was not up to the level that we were used to from past visits.
Serendipitous find (recommended by the lady who books tours at the Best Western)
123 Kicklighter Way
Garden City, GA
(912) 966 5530
Roberta said that this was the cleanest fish store she had ever been in.
I just sniffed in the aroma of the briny sea.
We brought back wahoo (beautifully fresh and mildly salty), fresh wild shrimp, which were larger and less expensive than the frozen ones that we get at home, crab which we will have for dinner tonight, and an octopus (currently marinating in a tomato/olive oil sauce).
Other items available were - Main Lobster, Cobia, Swordfish, Salmon, Tilapia, PEI mussels, local clams, scallops.
Bring your cooler. Mrs Mathews will supply the ice.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 https://menintalk.com/lean-xplode/
- 2 Charlottesville & NC BBQ Trip Report
- 3 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
- 4 Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park - Hawaii
- 5 Restaurant Recommendations for Queens/Brooklyn/Williamsburgl
- 6 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 7 Arches or Zion?
- 8 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 9 how much time to visit pedestal at Statue of Liberty
- 10 Looking to move from North Carolina to Colorado
- 11 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 12 Restaurant recommendations in falmouth/mashpee, ma area
- 13 (Healing?) Retreat in Sedona, Az?
- 14 Richmond Virginia And Poe
- 15 Chicago to Denver or Rapid City
- 16 time to visit statue
- 17 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 18 New England Foliage Peeping Trip - Oct 4 to 8th
- 19 Suggestion for Hotel by Ford Museum/Tour
- 20 Chester, CN
- 21 Northern California Gardens.
- 22 First time Colorado 1 week-itinerary help
- 23 Savannah Itinerary Feedback Please
- 24 Ridiculous Pacific Northwest Road Trip
- 25 ground transportation NYC to DC and connecting to MARC