Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fancy dining
- 2 I want to visit the india particular north east india ?
- 3 ideas for pacific coast drive (CA)
- 4 Hotel near Miami airport
- 5 NYC IN AUGUST
- 6 Road Trip SW
- 7 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 8 Will have five days in Savannah
- 9 Zion Narrows - Relatively Easy / Suitable for Older Folks?
- 10 Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
- 11 Trip Report: New York City July 25-27, 2014
- 12 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 13 Itinerary opinions
- 14 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 15 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 16 Chicago trip
- 17 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 18 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 19 Fall vacation in Colorado
- 20 culpepper
- 21 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 22 Santa Barbara, California
- 23 moving to florida
- 24 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 25 San Fran to Las Vegas drive