Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Maine for 9 Days- Where to begin??
- 2 5 Things Not to Miss in NYC?
- 3 Texas exploring for 18 days
- 4 flying from los angeles to see the south ??
- 5 Drive time from Lynwood to CenturyLink Field
- 6 Marthas Vineyard Ferry Questions
- 7 hawaii location for young couple needed
- 8 Magazine St. and Garden District favorites
- 9 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 10 New Orleans to Savannah two weeks
- 11 Mill Valley California Walks and Hikes
- 12 Drive from Santa Barbara to La Jolla on sunday 2 august ?
- 13 How to break up trip between San Francisco and Laguna Niguel
- 14 Michigan advice needed
- 15 Minneapolis to Yellowstone and back.
- 16 Easy to Moderate Hikes - Moab Area
- 17 Brit worried about weather in Santa Barbara !
- 18 16 Days Utah National Parks
- 19 North Fork Vineyards/ Greenport Long Island trip planning
- 20 7 days in Colorado with Family
- 21 If you could have one meal in Vegas, what would it be?
- 22 Day Trip Reports? May/June
- 23 Taos area Spa or Resort Hotels
- 24 Visiting NYC - stay in Herlem or Jersey City?
- 25 A quick trip to New Orleans - Dec 2010
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar: