Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 Days in Mass.
- 2 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 3 East Coast Road Trip - What maps to use?
- 4 Yellowstone
- 5 NYE in FLL or Miami Beach
- 6 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 7 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 8 Chinese restaurants in D.C.?
- 9 Christmas Day in NYC?
- 10 Washington visit...perhaps relocate
- 11 Spokane to Glacier NP
- 12 Smoky Mountains -Cades Cove saw wolf.
- 13 Hawaii with older parents
- 14 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 15 Uber availability on Long Island
- 16 Fort Myers Area
- 17 Road Trip from Portland to San Francisco
- 18 Drive tour Portland to San Francisco
- 19 9 days Zion/Bryce from Vegas
- 20 Requesting info about location of Hertz rental counter at airport in Kauai
- 21 One night one day in dallas accommodation
- 22 Escrunchy's can you pls recommend a guide for Charleston
- 23 yk's Family Trip to the Berkshires, 2016
- 24 Suggestions Buffalo NY
- 25 Opinions: key west accommodation
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar: