Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar:
- 1 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 2 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 3 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 4 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 5 Where should I move to?
- 6 Help Requested for Winter Cross-Country Driving Move
- 7 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip
- 8 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 9 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 10 Car service from JFK to lower Manhattan
- 11 New Yorkers Live Longer - Health Initiatives Seem to Work
- 12 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 13 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 14 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 15 Fripp island
- 16 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 17 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 18 Hotel near Public Theater
- 19 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 20 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 21 San Antonio
- 22 hotel near Met NYC
- 23 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 24 Oahu Information
- 25 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013