Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 Days in Juneau?
- 2 Favorites in North/South Carolina/Georgia? Help please!
- 3 California: San Fran to San Diego
- 4 5 Days near Denver
- 5 14 Day Itinerary for Alaska in an RV
- 6 Lake Champlain, VT
- 7 Where to stay in or near San Simeon for one night?
- 8 San Diego Marriott Coronado Island or Marriott Marquis downtown?
- 9 hotel in NYC
- 10 20 Days Road Trip
- 11 Bar Harbor/Acadia Insight
- 12 Zion, Bryce, South/North Rim, Page
- 13 Itinerary help for Boston and Islands
- 14 prepaid broadband for ipad
- 15 A week in Ohau - what to do?
- 16 San Diego to San Francisco in 15 days
- 17 Folger-Shakespeare Library
- 18 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 19 Briefly, in WNY
- 20 Boulder, CO vs Denver, CO
- 21 Denver to Yellowstone
- 22 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 23 Post-Alaska cruise ideas July, 2018
- 24 Road trip from San Francisco to San Diego
- 25 Southern road trip ideas/reccomendations
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar: