Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Calling card for land line phones in National Parks in the western states
- 2 Columbia River Gorge - best scenic route in WA or OR?
- 3 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 4 My Topic TitlePalm Springs at the Last MInute, Help Please!
- 5 Salt Lake City to Northern California or Oregon trip
- 6 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 7 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 8 Pittsburgh Trip
- 9 10 days in Arizona
- 10 AC Hotels cheap by clean
- 11 Parking fine
- 12 Berkshires with a toddler
- 13 Glacier National Park, should we cancel our plans?
- 14 Condos in Kauai and Big Island
- 15 Hotel/motel recom. for Cape Cod
- 16 My Maine Trip Report
- 17 Late Aug/early Sept with 15 month old - where to?
- 18 hilicopter tour oahu
- 19 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 20 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 21 Where to stay for 1 night near Morgantown WV
- 22 CA AZ UT NV Road Trip
- 23 Good VRBO Neighborhoods in New Orleans?
- 24 Itin Help: S St Seaport, Battery Park, B'wahy
- 25 The Southern Coast of Maine 3 nights
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar: