Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 The trip master
- 2 Tour guide in Bend, OR, for Lava Caves?
- 3 1st trip to DC - for 2 nights
- 4 Las vegas +21
- 5 Newport Historic District - where is it? Walking tour?
- 6 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 7 Phone SIM
- 8 How to search for condo rental in Oahu
- 9 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 10 Discount Broadway Show Tickets webistes
- 11 A June trip to Kauai
- 12 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 13 Samsonite Silhouette 7 repair part
- 14 Steamboat in August
- 15 Napa Valley Hotel
- 16 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 17 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 18 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 19 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 20 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 21 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 22 Christmas Napa Valley
- 23 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 24 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 25 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar: