Here's the calendar:
July 2011: The trip coordinator of an arts group to which I belong contacted our senator's office about visiting the White House
August 2011 (or thereabouts): We are sent list of what we need to do and we must provide much personal information about ourselves. No photos are allowed.
December 1, 2011: Trip coordinator is advised that our group has been OK'd, tells us the date and our time which is 7:30 a.m.! We must be there 15 minutes ahead of time. Trip coordinator must quickly book a bus (she gave the company a heads up months ago).
Day before the trip: I find a pair of trousers that will hold my picture ID, a credit card and my telephone. I will leave the phone on our bus (which is secure per driver). I take my shower at night and drink an extra glass of wine so I can get to sleep by 8:30.
Day of the trip:
Get up at 4:30 a.m. and have time to get some breakfast.
5:15 a.m. drive to bus meeting point
6:00 a.m. bus leaves from Annapolis
6:45 a.m. we have reached D.C. and driver parks in front of the Willard Hotel and lets us wait on the bus until 7 when we will be allowed to get in line. It is cold outside.
7:00 a.m. we are in line and told to get into a single file in alphabetically order.
7:15 a.m. we are led through gates where our ID's are checked. One couple's birth years don't agree with what was emailed. They are not allowed in.
7:30 a.m. we go through another entry way and our IDs are checked again and we go through metal detectors. Someone sees a sign that photos are OK. We have all left our phones on the bus and are a tad annoyed.
8:30 a.m. we are finished!
Now, about the rooms and decorations:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 B And Q Kitchens For Sale Liverpool
- 2 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 3 NYC Vacation Packages - Two Thumbs Up!
- 4 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 5 Las Vegas
- 6 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 7 Yosemite and Sequoia
- 8 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 9 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 10 national/state park in November
- 11 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 12 Family trip to San Diego. Itinerary help!
- 13 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 14 50th in Hawaii
- 15 Florida Family vacation in California
- 16 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 17 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 18 traveling to Nashville
- 19 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 20 Trip Report - San Francisco advise for 1st timers like us!!
- 21 San Francisco California
- 22 My Topic Tennessee; no makeup or hair products
- 23 Which tide pool is best to see in Seattle?
- 24 Dupont Circle Hotels
- 25 Short civil rights your Atlanta to Birningham
A mini-trip to see White House holiday decorations
Here's the calendar: