I'm looking for suggestions on a 7-8 day road trip that my husband and I are taking with my parents. We had originally planned a family vacation in Disney World, but due to an unexpected injury, my grandparents had to cancel at the last minute. We decided to just take a (quasi) impromptu trip down the coast. My husband and I are boarding a cruise in Fort Lauderdale on May 26th so our plan is to end the trip with my parents there and they will fly back to Kentucky and we will board our ship and leave our car in long term parking.
I've agreed to not plan every single detail (I'm a horribly chronic planner and this is killing me!) but I would still like to have a route in mind and perhaps some "must-sees" that we shouldn't miss.
Currently we are considering the following route, but I feel like I may be over extending us a bit. Any suggestions are extremely welcome and appreciated:
Leave Mayfield, KY on 5/17
Head towards The Outer Banks
From the Outer Banks, start heading down the coast stopping at:
While slowly making our way to Fort Lauderdale
I am aware that hitting all those points may not be feasible, but that's where you guys come in!
I have considered purcashing a Road Trip USA book on Amazon and just winging it as well.
What are your thoughts?
7 Day Road Trip down Southeast Coast
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 2 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 3 New York City Restaurants
- 4 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 5 Cabaret seating at Studio 54 - huh?
- 6 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 7 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 8 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 9 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 10 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 11 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 12 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 13 Family Camp in Maine
- 14 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
- 15 San Diego
- 16 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 17 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 18 Timeshare Nightmares
- 19 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 20 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 21 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 22 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 23 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 24 Oregon to SF - avoid Coastal Route
- 25 Chicago Architectural River Tours - which one for us?