We are 28 years old couple from Europe and we are planning our honeymoon trip in USA. We are planning to spend about 4 weeks starting in mid August (28-30 days in total). 1 week in New York (this part of the trip is quite clear) and 3 weeks in the West Coast.
We read many topics in this forum and tried to create the trip schedule below. We would be more than happy if you could share your opinion/ advices regarding the trip.
Also we don’t have any flight tickets yet.
1-7 days - flight from Europe to NY. Touristic/chilling in NY - visiting museums, some tourist places and meeting some friends, attend some lindyhop/swing dancing events.
8 day – (this is where adventures start) flight from NY to LA. Getting around the city. Spending night in LA.
9 day – renting car and heading to LV. Visit a show (optional: Circue du soleil) and find cheap hostel near LV.
10 day – from early morning head to Grand Canyon North Rim – we don’t like very touristic places, so thinking that North Rim could be an option.
11 day – make a big hike down to canyon from early morning. Starting from North Kaibab, land to Redwall Bridge or Roaring Springs and then come back to North Kaibab (or make a night in Cottonwood Campground)
12 day – rest for half day, then head to Brice Canyon. See sunset. Reserve a lodge.
13 day – check sunrise in Brice. Then go to Zion. Maybe short hike in Zion or rest.
14 day – hike the Narrows in Zion.
15 day – take another hike in Zion. Sleep in Zion campground
16 day - wake up early and go towards to Mammoth lake. I am not sure if it is better to spend all day driving or to stop in Vegas and check one more show and then only next day finish trip towards the Mammoth lakes.
17 day Mammoth lakes hiking
18 day Mammoth lakes biking. Sleep next to June lake.
19 day Yosemite hiking/resting
20 day Yosemite hiking/resting
21 day Yosemite hiking/resting
22 day Calaveras. Sleep calaveras
23 day SF (Stu Dudley’s recommendations)
24 day SF
25 day Monterey
26 day Big Sur (the road is closed now, so is it worth going to Big Sur from Monterey, then do circle to Cambria?)
27 day Cambria or Paso Robles
28 day then not sure if we need to go to Sequaias national park (because we like such kind of nature) or should we come back to LA.
I read that Yosemite could be crowdy at this time, but we really want to visit it and stop at those beautiful lakes like Tioga and Tenaya (I am not sure if we will pass anything similar in other places).
1) We are not sure yet – should we do round trip, should we start from LA, LV or SF. I also see that flight ticket are cheaper when flying to/from LA. But I read somewhere that renting the car is cheaper in LV.
2) Big Sur (the road is closed now, so is it worth going to Big Sur from Monterey, then do circle to Cambria?
I would like to add, that our trip should be more budget one, by passing luxury restaurants and comfortable hotels. I can call us quite experienced campers – so as we are coming at hottest season of the year, we plan to buy some gear – like tent, and spend more nights at camping grounds.
3) Do we need reservations for camping sites? Is it possible to camp in all places we will be visiting? Maybe there are some limitations or bad conditions for example in Yosemite?
Also, we can add 3-5 days, but also we need to fit in the budget – around 6000-8000 dollars for the whole 1 month trip for two with flight tickets, food, car rental and stay.
Regarding NY – we are not picky ones, so we prefer local places or airbnb where I found some spaces in 30-40 dollars range per night for both. Also we have some friends so it is possible that we will stay few nights at their place.
Also most galleries and museums we planned to visit are free or not to expensive.
For WestCoat, 1500$ car rental + gas, let’s say the average for camping place or cheap hotel/hostel should be 50$ for both - 21x50=1050$. Food – for dinner we used to make a delicious pasta on camping site while traveling, also we can survive with Mcdonalds, Subway and other fast food industry: so lets say 1500 $
Flight tickets: 1200$ for both.
So total can start from 6000$ and we still have 1000-2000$ more if needed.
Any your advises to this trip draft are more than welcome!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 2 Boulder, CO vs Denver, CO
- 3 Denver to Yellowstone
- 4 San Diego Marriott Coronado Island or Marriott Marquis downtown?
- 5 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 6 Post-Alaska cruise ideas July, 2018
- 7 Road trip from San Francisco to San Diego
- 8 San Diego to San Francisco in 15 days
- 9 prepaid broadband for ipad
- 10 Bar Harbor/Acadia Insight
- 11 Where to stay in or near San Simeon for one night?
- 12 Southern road trip ideas/reccomendations
- 13 Week in LA & San Francisco
- 14 Itinerary help for Boston and Islands
- 15 Road Trip Along Lake Michigan
- 16 hotel in NYC
- 17 Wanted: Two beds, charming place NOLA
- 18 South Point/Ka Lae - Southern Most Point of the USA
- 19 Papakolea Beach/Green Sand Beach - Big Island, Hawaii
- 20 Hawaii's Rat Lungworm
- 21 Luggage Storage at ORD (Hilton)
- 22 A week in Ohau - what to do?
- 23 Lodging recs for Mackinac Island
- 24 Good restaurant in Topeka, KS
- 25 October New England Honeymoon??