We've booked a trip to California (first timers - cant wait!) from 5 - 26 August. The flight, hotels and car hire are all booked. The itinerary is as follows:
Day 1 - Arrive San Francisco (4 nights)
Day 5 - Pick up car & drive to Monterey (5 nights)
Day 10 - Drive to lake Isabella (1 night)
Day 11 - Drive to Vegas (5 nights)
Day 16 - Drive to Annaheim (6 nights)
We've tried to minimise the driving as my husband doesn't want to spend too much of the holiday sat in a car (I tried to include Yosemite but he wasn't up for the drive).
We'd really appreciate some advice on the following:
First, given our itinerary, what are the 'must see's? So far we've identified various 'things we must do' including Alcatraz, Whale watching, Hearst Castle, Grand Canyon, Disney & Universal (for my 11 year old the LA leg is the absolute highlight of the trip!). Whilst in SF I'd like to drive out to Napa - but where exactly and what should we see?
Second, tips on best driving routes - and where to stop for views/lunch etc - en route to the various places we're staying.
Third, whats the best way to buy tickets for Disney & Universal. Online in advance? There is a 3 day Disney (both parks) pass for $265 and my son is nagging me for a front of line pass for Universal (worth the high price?. The Southern California City Pass seems to include San Diego but we're not planning on going that far south).
Many thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alaska Road Trip (Anchorage-Denali-Valdez)
- 2 Restaurants in or close to Cary, North Carolina
- 3 Western USA instead of XC road trip - Qs
- 4 Restaurants in Kiawah Island, SC
- 5 Road Trip Loop San Fran south to Monterey - then -east
- 6 Portland-Seattle and lots more: Itinerary comments requested
- 7 For anyone driving I-5 thru central CA in the next week . . .
- 8 From NYC to DC...Bus Questions
- 9 Driving Salt Lake to Chicago
- 10 Route Dr. - FLA speed traps?
- 11 Alaska or northwestern states
- 12 San Diego, Yosemite, Napa
- 13 Charleston and Savannah
- 14 Cody, WY --suggestions for short stop?
- 15 Tranquility Bay or Cheeca Lodge?
- 16 ALASKA FOR 7 DAYS
- 17 Mini Honeymoon in Philadelphia
- 18 Franklin, TN
- 19 Any one found a fee free ATM around Point Pleasant, NJ area?
- 20 6 week West USA Family driving trip
- 21 Advise on trip
- 22 Best time to visit alaska
- 23 help getting through mobile, al
- 24 Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle - need a passport?
- 25 Hawaii, Big Island, Luau
3 weeks covering SF, Monterey, Lake Isabella, Las Vegas and LA (Disney)