We've booked a trip to California (first timers - cant wait!) from 5 - 26 August. The flight, hotels and car hire are all booked. The itinerary is as follows:
Day 1 - Arrive San Francisco (4 nights)
Day 5 - Pick up car & drive to Monterey (5 nights)
Day 10 - Drive to lake Isabella (1 night)
Day 11 - Drive to Vegas (5 nights)
Day 16 - Drive to Annaheim (6 nights)
We've tried to minimise the driving as my husband doesn't want to spend too much of the holiday sat in a car (I tried to include Yosemite but he wasn't up for the drive).
We'd really appreciate some advice on the following:
First, given our itinerary, what are the 'must see's? So far we've identified various 'things we must do' including Alcatraz, Whale watching, Hearst Castle, Grand Canyon, Disney & Universal (for my 11 year old the LA leg is the absolute highlight of the trip!). Whilst in SF I'd like to drive out to Napa - but where exactly and what should we see?
Second, tips on best driving routes - and where to stop for views/lunch etc - en route to the various places we're staying.
Third, whats the best way to buy tickets for Disney & Universal. Online in advance? There is a 3 day Disney (both parks) pass for $265 and my son is nagging me for a front of line pass for Universal (worth the high price?. The Southern California City Pass seems to include San Diego but we're not planning on going that far south).
Many thanks in advance
3 weeks covering SF, Monterey, Lake Isabella, Las Vegas and LA (Disney)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 historic small western towns - with shopping district, dino digs??
- 2 bachelors degree
- 3 Trailing Cyclone Ana to Maui (trip report)
- 4 First Time RVing - Is my itinerary on overkill for 10 day trip?
- 5 Getting to Key West
- 6 Is Coral Gables or Miami a shorter distance to the Everglades?
- 7 New Orleans Motel Question
- 8 Broadway Banter - Winter 2010 - 11
- 9 Itinerary ideas for Niagara Falls via Corning/Watkins from NYC
- 10 San Diego One Day Itinerary
- 11 How the fairytale of New York can become a nightmare
- 12 Has anyone been getting ads for handguns/holsters?
- 13 Hang out, Low Key, Getaway Area?
- 14 Has anyone been to Li'l Dizzy's in the Treme?
- 15 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 16 West Maui Restaurants
- 17 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 18 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 19 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 20 San Francisco Italian Restaurant for 14
- 21 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 22 Indoor Waterpark in Wisconsin Dells ?
- 23 Recommendations for things to do near San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
- 24 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 25 Best non-tourist trap restaurants in South Beach