my wife (Japanese) and I (Italian) are planning our honeymoon in the US this August.
We have about 3 weeks to make it by car from Boston to San Francisco.
Can you please give us some tips?
We have no experience of driving in the US, or staying at motel. Is that easy to find a place to stay? We know August is hot and more expensive, but it's the only time we have!
Also, is there something that you strongly recommend to avoid?
This is our general idea:
- day 1: arrival in Boston, pick-up the car rented at National; have a walk and stay in Boston
- day 2: maybe a short trip to Cape Cod (but we heard it can be very crowded, isn'it?); stay somewhere in the middle between Boston and Washington (we're not going to NYC because we have already been there)
- day 3: arrival in Washington, walk around National Mall
- day 4: Blue Ridge Parkway from Shenandoah N.P., the Appalachians, heading South-West
- day 5: as above, until we arrive to Great Smoky N.P. and enter Tennesse (we start to follow the I-40, more or less)
- day 6: to Nashville
- day 7: to Memphis
- day 8: somewhere in the middle of Arkansas
- day 9: from Arkasas to Oklahoma City (start to follow Route 66, on and off from I-40)
- day 10: to Amarillo
- day 11: to Albuquerque (is it worth it? I liked Breaking Bad, but...) and Santa Fe
- day 12: from Santa Fe we go the native places (Mesa Verde?), four corners, and find a place for the night (will we find it or we'll be in the middle of nothing?)
- day 13: to Monument Valley (just passing through, going to Kayenta) and to Grand Canyon (we preferred to visit the south rim, even though more touristic), stay there somewhere for the night
- day 14: to Las Vegas (ok, we know it but once we are there...maybe we'll get married again, after having became rich at Casino
- day 15: cross the desert (dangerous?) to Los Angeles (I have no real idea if we'll respect this plan; will we find a place to stay in Santa Monica/Venice Beach? I am a great fan of the Doors) - where is the famous sight at night from the hills where you can see LA and all its lights?
- day 16: start going North-bound following the beautiful highway on the coast
- day 17: as above (best part around Big Sur, right?)
- day 18: arrival in San Francisco
We still have about 5 days to employ. Suggestions? Slow down all along the road and/or make deviations to visit Yosemite, Napa Valley, Sequoia (nice?)... other things?
We think it's better to stop 1 or 2 days somewhere during the trip, to recharge. Advices?
Thank you all very much in advance for your tips.
We'll also have to think about eating, sleeping, gps navigator, mobile phones... every kind of tips is very well accepted. Thank you very much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Is there a train from SAN (airport) to Encinitas?
- 2 Luau Worth the Money or Not?
- 3 Route 66
- 4 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 5 Itinerary help Oregon: 9 nights
- 6 Ouray to Aspen or Carbondale to Estes
- 7 ASAP Help w/San Fran to San Diego 12 day road trip with young kids
- 8 Glacier National Park Helicopter/Plane tours
- 9 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
- 10 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 11 Big Beach, Makena State Park - Maui, Hawaii
- 12 Northern California Gardens.
- 13 Sunset at Haleakala Summit - Maui, Hawaii
- 14 Papakolea Beach/Green Sand Beach - Big Island, Hawaii
- 15 Planning a 12-13 Day Cali Trip SF to SD
- 16 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 17 Florida with a 2 year old
- 18 Train from east cost to west coast
- 19 Where to go for a long winter vacation in Florida, Panama City Beach??
- 20 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 21 Uber from Baton Rouge to N.O. Airport
- 22 Civilian Visit to Schofield Barracks and Kolekole Pass
- 23 Walking at Ka'anapali Beach
- 24 Solo Trip to Mid-West
- 25 Arches or Zion?
3 weeks coast to coast from Boston to San Francisco - Help!