my wife (Japanese) and I (Italian) are planning our honeymoon in the US this August.
We have about 3 weeks to make it by car from Boston to San Francisco.
Can you please give us some tips?
We have no experience of driving in the US, or staying at motel. Is that easy to find a place to stay? We know August is hot and more expensive, but it's the only time we have!
Also, is there something that you strongly recommend to avoid?
This is our general idea:
- day 1: arrival in Boston, pick-up the car rented at National; have a walk and stay in Boston
- day 2: maybe a short trip to Cape Cod (but we heard it can be very crowded, isn'it?); stay somewhere in the middle between Boston and Washington (we're not going to NYC because we have already been there)
- day 3: arrival in Washington, walk around National Mall
- day 4: Blue Ridge Parkway from Shenandoah N.P., the Appalachians, heading South-West
- day 5: as above, until we arrive to Great Smoky N.P. and enter Tennesse (we start to follow the I-40, more or less)
- day 6: to Nashville
- day 7: to Memphis
- day 8: somewhere in the middle of Arkansas
- day 9: from Arkasas to Oklahoma City (start to follow Route 66, on and off from I-40)
- day 10: to Amarillo
- day 11: to Albuquerque (is it worth it? I liked Breaking Bad, but...) and Santa Fe
- day 12: from Santa Fe we go the native places (Mesa Verde?), four corners, and find a place for the night (will we find it or we'll be in the middle of nothing?)
- day 13: to Monument Valley (just passing through, going to Kayenta) and to Grand Canyon (we preferred to visit the south rim, even though more touristic), stay there somewhere for the night
- day 14: to Las Vegas (ok, we know it but once we are there...maybe we'll get married again, after having became rich at Casino
- day 15: cross the desert (dangerous?) to Los Angeles (I have no real idea if we'll respect this plan; will we find a place to stay in Santa Monica/Venice Beach? I am a great fan of the Doors) - where is the famous sight at night from the hills where you can see LA and all its lights?
- day 16: start going North-bound following the beautiful highway on the coast
- day 17: as above (best part around Big Sur, right?)
- day 18: arrival in San Francisco
We still have about 5 days to employ. Suggestions? Slow down all along the road and/or make deviations to visit Yosemite, Napa Valley, Sequoia (nice?)... other things?
We think it's better to stop 1 or 2 days somewhere during the trip, to recharge. Advices?
Thank you all very much in advance for your tips.
We'll also have to think about eating, sleeping, gps navigator, mobile phones... every kind of tips is very well accepted. Thank you very much.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Financial Offer/Business Funding Available Through Bank Instruments
- 2 Family spring break destinations on the N.E. coast
- 3 California Coast Road-Trip Must-Sees
- 4 DC Cherry Blossoms 2017
- 5 Summer trip
- 6 Where to Stay in Philly in April?
- 7 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 8 NYC - 10 Nights - Itinerary Feedback
- 9 Help PLS Philli or Boston
- 10 Alaska Itinerary - Suggestions & Comments Please
- 11 How many states have you been to?
- 12 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 13 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 14 Jersey shore town recommendation for July 4th weeekend
- 15 Where to stay in Glacier NP
- 16 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 17 family road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle
- 18 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 19 San Diego to Vancouver in 14 Days
- 20 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 21 Gros Ventre campsite availability mid Sept
- 22 Florida keys trip
- 23 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 24 Route Planning for East USA
- 25 Italian Food, Palm Desert
3 weeks coast to coast from Boston to San Francisco - Help!