my wife (Japanese) and I (Italian) are planning our honeymoon in the US this August.
We have about 3 weeks to make it by car from Boston to San Francisco.
Can you please give us some tips?
We have no experience of driving in the US, or staying at motel. Is that easy to find a place to stay? We know August is hot and more expensive, but it's the only time we have!
Also, is there something that you strongly recommend to avoid?
This is our general idea:
- day 1: arrival in Boston, pick-up the car rented at National; have a walk and stay in Boston
- day 2: maybe a short trip to Cape Cod (but we heard it can be very crowded, isn'it?); stay somewhere in the middle between Boston and Washington (we're not going to NYC because we have already been there)
- day 3: arrival in Washington, walk around National Mall
- day 4: Blue Ridge Parkway from Shenandoah N.P., the Appalachians, heading South-West
- day 5: as above, until we arrive to Great Smoky N.P. and enter Tennesse (we start to follow the I-40, more or less)
- day 6: to Nashville
- day 7: to Memphis
- day 8: somewhere in the middle of Arkansas
- day 9: from Arkasas to Oklahoma City (start to follow Route 66, on and off from I-40)
- day 10: to Amarillo
- day 11: to Albuquerque (is it worth it? I liked Breaking Bad, but...) and Santa Fe
- day 12: from Santa Fe we go the native places (Mesa Verde?), four corners, and find a place for the night (will we find it or we'll be in the middle of nothing?)
- day 13: to Monument Valley (just passing through, going to Kayenta) and to Grand Canyon (we preferred to visit the south rim, even though more touristic), stay there somewhere for the night
- day 14: to Las Vegas (ok, we know it but once we are there...maybe we'll get married again, after having became rich at Casino
- day 15: cross the desert (dangerous?) to Los Angeles (I have no real idea if we'll respect this plan; will we find a place to stay in Santa Monica/Venice Beach? I am a great fan of the Doors) - where is the famous sight at night from the hills where you can see LA and all its lights?
- day 16: start going North-bound following the beautiful highway on the coast
- day 17: as above (best part around Big Sur, right?)
- day 18: arrival in San Francisco
We still have about 5 days to employ. Suggestions? Slow down all along the road and/or make deviations to visit Yosemite, Napa Valley, Sequoia (nice?)... other things?
We think it's better to stop 1 or 2 days somewhere during the trip, to recharge. Advices?
Thank you all very much in advance for your tips.
We'll also have to think about eating, sleeping, gps navigator, mobile phones... every kind of tips is very well accepted. Thank you very much.
3 weeks coast to coast from Boston to San Francisco - Help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 2 Florida or caribbean
- 3 Yosemite in Winter
- 4 NYC - Taxi Cost JFK to Upper West Side
- 5 Miami Marlins
- 6 Northern California in February
- 7 Less than a day in Seattle area
- 8 Portland, OR hotel question
- 9 Park Central Hotel via Priceline uh-oh
- 10 Flying New Orleans-Burlington Vt, which airline? Where should I connect?
- 11 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 12 1st time DC-NYC for family of 5 - Need itinerary advice
- 13 Louisiana Hotel Questions
- 14 Active Vacation
- 15 New York (for women turning 50th) 2015
- 16 Orlando in March
- 17 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 18 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 19 Quick SoCal question
- 20 3 weeks coast to coast from Boston to San Francisco - Help!
- 21 Prince Philip Cruise (Whittier) vs Kenai Fjords (Seward)
- 22 New England September
- 23 Required snow tires & rental cars?
- 24 San Francisco hotel in Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square
- 25 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles